Depression Community
teenage depression....am i depressed?

Join others suffering from Depression. Turn to them for guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

teenage depression....am i depressed?

im 14 and i think i may be depressed...i know depression runs in my family, and my parents recently got divorced, but that didnt affect me as much as i thought it would. i have lost 10 lbs in the few weeks, and im still losing more. i have been very stressed out because i wanted to switch schools and i just told my mom. she didnt react very well. im a freshman in highschool, and i was always a straight a or b student, and now i might have to go to summer school. i dont drink, do drugs, i dont cut myself...nothing like that.i have thought suicidal thoughts, i wont....im too afraid to, and i have talked to my friends about it. i have lost intrest in this explorers group that i had begged to be in and quit..i have changed my career choices because i think im not smart enough.i cant talk to my mom about it, partially because she causes most of my stress. and i dont want to scare my dad. i dont know what to do. i need help and go to a psychiatrist but i havnt mentioned it to her because i dont want to seem like im trying to get attention. what schoul i do?  
I`m glad you are ready to talk to someone. This can be a puberty. Or depression. Expert is going to know.

Discussion how to tell parents was here recently. I think you should read it:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Teen-Depression/What-should-I-do-about-my-depression/show/1522979?personal_page_id=2139402
I think you need to talk to your mom about a psychologist.  I am 17, and for me depression started when I was around 12.  I sounded a lot like you, and unfortunatly I waited 5 years to get help and that wasnt a good idea.  So my suggestion is talk to someone, a therapist or psychologist.  

A lot of things that we dont think really effect us, do subcontiously.  I never ever thought that my dad constantly verbally and emotionally absuing my mom effected me at all...I mean I would get sad when it happened but I never saw it as a link to my depression...well as it turns out, I kinda have a lot of repressed subcontious feelings on it.  Its weird to explain...but pretty much I know now that my depression is caused a lot by growing up in an abusive household...something I never would have expected or even called abuse before I went to therapy and discovered all these repressed emotions.

Its great your willing to get help.  Not a lot of young people (me included) are willing to get help.  It shows you are a really strong person, and I am confident that you will find your happiness.  Growing up is the hardest thing anyone has to do.  High school can be very rough.
i am alot like you(except i have 2 parents and am in 8th grade)and i have asked if i could switch schools to and they said no and my depression is getting worse(im gaining weight instead of losing it)i am stressed alot and the only place i feel safe is in my room(which i share with my 3 sisters) theres six of  us and if you EVER need to talk i am here (i am also 14)
and i have no friends at all
        I also wanted to switch school when I was your age. I felt terrible there. Didn`t have any friends. And then I realized even if i would run away from that place, I would be the exact same person and do the exact same thing. You can run, but you`ll never escape.If you don`˛t face it and work on it, it`ll always be the same.  

Actually, people were trying to talk to me and i always rejected it, so they stopped. And then how time passed by, i was trying to include myself in boring discussions about school. I always told my opinion: "who cares?", but politely and a bit longer. That was OK to them. I calmed them when they were upset.
      And during classes i started to tell my opinion about stuff... and after more then one year and the half I made some friends. We don`t share our interests and all, but we talk casually or give each other advices about our problems. I`m still often depressed, but they accepted me as I am.
      It`s not like we hang around out of the school often... Maybe we did it 5 times, but it`s easier and funnier to survive high school and college... People distract you from your own depressive thoughts. And that`s good...
Hormones For Better Sleep Better, G...
1 min ago by gymdandee
KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
50 mins ago
KTowne 5 more sleeps!!! :):) Comment
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time