Depression Community
want to stop lieing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

want to stop lieing

hi. iam a 25 yr old male and all i do is lie to people an loved ones its driving me nuts an all i want is to be normal an get on track with my life PLEASE HELP!!! i dont know where to start an i dont know who to turn to?
i have everything going for me but this problem is slowing me down.
Are you lieing about your drug use or alcohol usage?

Or are you just Lieing as an attempt to fit in with family and friends?

I don't get your problem. You know you lie and you want to stop?

So why do you keep doing it?

You do know, I assume, that most people see righjt through lies after they have known you for a while. They get used to you just making it up as you go and always contradicting yourself.

So people who do still listen to you are likely to have glazed eyes or be looking over your shoulder as they ignore whatever it is you are trying to impress them with.

The answer is quite simple given you know and want to stop isn't it?

Just stop. Try a little truth and see if it is OK. Who knows? You might enjoy it.

Of course you could be lying in this post too couldn't you. Lying about lying. Now, is that possible?
I feel there is a deep seeded reason as to why you lie.  See a therapist and get to the bottom of it.  Just because you recognize that you lie to everyone does not mean you know how to stop, it's the first step towards getting help.  Maybe you lie to make yourself look better, etc, but it doesn't matter why, just that you recognize it and are trying to stop.  It's easy for someone to say "JUST STOP," but it's like telling someone suffering with anorexia to just "eat more", it's not that simple!  I apologize for the first two responses you got, they should know better!
this is a comment to (whodunnit) its obvious that u dont understand wat its like to live with this an yes ive tried stopping an using the truth but it aint a switch!!! i cant just turn it off....everyday i try different things like counting how many times ill lie an writing a diary even sit down by myself an look at why i lie....even pray to god its something i cant control an as for lying about my situation well now i know why i dont ask for help as ppl like you who are complete nobs an think they know everything about life an other ppls problems make it hard to admit to it so G.F.Y mate! mammo thanks for your advice an dont appoligise to muppets that dont understand ill take your advice an use it....thankyou
i know what it is like, it takes over you and makes you feel like you have done to much damage to turn back, i am a compulsive lier but i have almost stopped lieng as i realised that everything that i have told people is built on lies and i had to make it right, i told mates that i had been lieing to them and they didnt understand and just started being mean, i might have deserved it but you have to realise that things might inspire you to lie for example if your mate said so do you want to meet up and you said no i dont feel well when infact you are going to meet someone else, may not seem like a big lie but i said that and i got caught and they didnt want to talk to me anymore, iv lied about my age, iv told someone iv loved them when i didnt but i put it straight out there and told them i was lieng to them and i know that it seemed like it was to much to take it but when you reveal more of yourself to them then it may be a big shock to them and it may be better just to tell them all at the once so they can forgive you and move on, but if you gradually told them your lieng about somethings over time then they may get fed up with you, i used to also right something down and how many times i lied and gradually lied less and less each time till it came down to about 4 things a week, i read alot of books to, and could relate to some of the storys in it and it took some of the guilt away and then it gave me the inspiration to tell people i was lieng, now when i tell the truth i feel like iv achieved something and feel good about myself, i also keep telling myself that i have the will power to stop this and in time  you start to think before you lie, i hope this is some use to you and anyone out there who is looking for advice, also the small things oyu have lied about and you think that it hasnt hurt anyone then you can try and forget or come clean about who you are, if anyone has any questions then leave a comment, i do believe that you have the power to stop lieng, after all where does it leave you? with a backpack you could do without!
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status
TinaR10 commented on photo
rana64, and nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status