Depression Community
when to talk cymbalta

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

when to talk cymbalta

Hi, I just started on cymbalta 30mg and then next week I go up to 60mg, my question is what is the best way to take this, one in the morning and one at night or both at night, I dont know.  Anyone have any advise on worked best for them?
Tags: Cymbalta
HI again!

I'm glad to hear that you're tolerating it well so far.  If you were going to have any hugely severe side effects, you would have by now, so that's good news.

Cymbalta is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.  Cymbalta works to increase both serotonin and norepinephrine to treat depression and/or anxiety.  There are the SSRIs which target only the serotonin (like Zoloft) and the SNRIs which only target the norepinephrine (like Effexor), with Cymbalta, you get the best of both, as it works to increase the circulating amounts of BOTH neurotransmitters.  Cymbalta overall has been well tolerated with decent success rates.  It's sometimes also used to treat neuropathic pain (as in a condition like fibromyalgia).  

Common side effects you may notice in the first few weeks of treatment (usually improving at about week 2) would be headache, insomnia, feeling "jittery"/shaky, increased anxiety, GI disturbances (nausea, diarrhea, decreased appetite).  

Hang in there and just remember that these meds take time, patience is a virtue.  Even after you start adjusting to the med and start seeing some improvements, it may still take a little longer to get to the level of effectiveness you're after.  And, if you ever decide to stop taking it, you need to ask your doc for a taper plan, as you should not stop taking it abruptly.

Good luck, let us know how it's going!

Some more info:
http://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html
Typically, with these kinds of meds, the whole dose is taken at one time of the day.  Make sure you are always taking it around the same time every day (given or take an hour before, or an hour after).

Ask your doc for clarification, just to be sure.  
thank you! my doctor never mentioned it and neither did the pharmacist, usually my meds consist of just one pill not two, I think that why I as so confused.  do you know anything about cymbalta?  I was really nervous going into taking this drug due to the things iv read online, but so far, so good, then again its only been three days.
HI again!

Good luck, let us know how it's going!

Some more info:
http://www.drugs.com/cymbalta.html
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
5 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on Des92's status
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time