Depression Community
will stopping abilify cause weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to depression, counseling, sleep problems, and nutrition.

will stopping abilify cause weight loss

I stoppedabilify per dr and im hoping to lose some of the weight i gained while on it///has anyone stopped it and had sucess loosing the weight?
I once asked my Psychiatrist if Psychotropic meds caused weight gain. He told me that studies have been conducted on this topic and the results were, and I will quote him, "Psychotropic medications have not been found to effect the metabolic rate of patients that take them."

I take this to mean that psychotropic meds do not cause the body to burn calories at a slower rate.

One thing that is for sure about many of these drugs is that they can often stimulate appitite. Thus the person taking the drug in question gains weight because they don't realize the added amount of calories they are taking in.

This same thing happened to me on Remeron. Wow did I gain weight because the Remeron gave me massive snack munchies.

I once heard a doctor say, "no matter what, if you take in less calories than you burn each day than you will lose weight."

I take 4 different meds for depression and they are known for weight gain, but I got on that Atkins diet and work out 4 times a week and in 4 months went from 230Lbs down to 175Lbs with only 9% body fat ratio. For a man that's very lean.

Not going to say it was easy because my depression often makes me feel like a slug, but I throw myself off the couch and just suffer thru it.

There are many books that can teach you the Atkins diet. You will drop weight so fast on it. Only problem is the carbohydrate limitations. They take awhile to get used to because our bodys crave carbs.
I went through the same thing, and in researching medications found most to carry a side effect of weight gain.  I spoke to my psychiatrist who told me which ones cause weight gain.  So, I was switched to one that supposedly didn't have this side effect, and I saw no change.  I'm came to the conclusion that I was consuming more calories than I was burning.  But you don't want a "diet," you want a way of eating that you can stick with the rest of your life. My first step was to have my thyroid checked and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, once this was better thru medication, still no weight loss.  I started eating every 3 hours, but healthy small amounts, and I really didn't think this would work for me, but my daughter suggested it and she's never had a weight problem is 5'5" size 2.  I was amazed at how I was never hungry, never craved the sweets that I did before.  I started in Jan. 09 and by June lost 46lbs.  The good thing is thru all this and still today, I always allowed Saturdays as "whatever I want to eat day."  It's about getting your fruits, whole grains, cheese, and protein and a small cup of chocolate pudding every night with a big dallop of Redi-Whip. I also have always walked a lot which never helped until I changed my eating habits.
Does Abilify Cause Weight Gain?
Weight gain is a common side effect of Abilify® (aripiprazole). A gain of at least 7 percent of body weight occurs in up to 6.8 percent of people taking the medication.

While a small amount of weight gain is typical during treatment with Abilify, some people can gain very large amounts of weight while taking the drug. This weight gain is thought to increase the risk of diabetes (see Abilify and Diabetes) or other health problems. Therefore, if you are noticing a rapid or large increase in weight while taking Abilify, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider.
You don't say how long it's been since you stopped Abilify, you may need to give it more time.
I have experienced a 50 pound weight gain that I attirubute to the taking of Abilify of the last 8 months,  No more for me.  Weight gain and swollen feet (taking Lasix for water gain) .....  Though the Lasix has redcued my weight by (about) 8 pounds my 63 year old back is killing me.  I was 6'1" at a comfortable 182 pounds ...... this 230 just wont hack it.  I will try Wellbutron instead.    
panda1229 commented on 90+++++ days!
Dothesalsa added the Mood Tracker
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status