Depression Community
zoloft and tinnitus

A community of people suffering from Depression to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, counseling, and other management.

zoloft and tinnitus

I took Zoloft 200mg. for twelve years for grief (after the loss of my family) and ocd. It seemed to help a lot. I tapered off last year and when I was completely off it, I developed tinnitus in both ears. My GP and the ear doctor both said they knew of no connection; it was just a coincidence. I started Zoloft 50mg and the tinnitus subsided. At zoloft 100mg, it subsided even more, almost disappearing. I went off Zoloft completely again and the tinnitus returned with all its fury. I started again and the tinnitus once again subsided. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'll keep taking Zoloft for tinnitus, even though I feel no need for an anti-depressant.
I guess in your situation, what ever works.  I have never know there to be a connection either. But again in your case you have proved it works for you..
Your not alone.  I have never had tinnitus in my entire life, I started taking Klonopin for 8 months, one time a night for sleep, then tapered off, then stopped.  Ever since then, I have developed chronic, non stop tinnitus, for months I've had to listen to ringing in my ears, it's a w/d symptom, and doctors are not educated enough to admit problems associated with psych med w/d's.  It's never the medication, causing symptoms they prescribed them.  But what's happening to you is being caused by Zoloft w/d's,.      
I'm a war vet with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome) and I have been taking zoloft for about 5 years and I feel recently that my tinnitus is getting worse to the point that I can't even concentrate in my job or sleep. I read that there are some people that are having similar problems but not entirely the same.  I just don't know what else to try, I had gone to the audiologyst several times in the past year and he recommeded hearing aids but twice that I used them they seem to make my tinnitus worse.  Anyone has any recommendations?

Leo
There is some promising research on the horizion, so I hope that you are hanging in there.  Check out the NIH site when you get time.

I am not a doctor, but I think that a hearing aide might only help you if your tinnitus is caused by hearing loss, which is 90% (?) of the people with tinnitus.  Mine is concussion related so I don't think that would help.  There is some sound therapy retraining which supposedly helps all types, For me, the key is sleep so I hope that you are able to get that by now.  Good luck.
I recently (within the last two weeks) ran out of my Zoloft prescription, (on it for 8 months), and now have sustained tinnitus (self diagnosed). I suspect that this, combined with some elevated stress at work and the stress/anxiety of my ongoing divorce procedings (stress being one of the reported causes of tinnitus) may be linked. I will be addressing this with my doctor in a few days, and today is my first effort at researching tinnitus and whether it is connected with Zoloft. If Zoloft curbs stress and anxiety, and stress aggravates tinnitus, there may be just a cause and effect relationship, and not necessarily a medical relationship between the two. I'm sure other health factors could be involved as well.
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
JE55LEW On mirtazapine helping load... Comment
facts About Meat
Jul 31 by gymdandee
Mood Tracker
Track your mood over time