Dermatology Community
Cutaneous candidiasis on hands
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cutaneous candidiasis on hands

I have been diagnosed with cutaneous candidiasis on both my hands.  It started off as a simple jewelery dermatitis so I was given a steroid cream.  After two weeks and a worsened condition, the dermatologist took a scraping, found the yeast infection and put me on Fluconazole 200 mg for 3 weeks.  He said to cover the hands with petroleum jelly only - no other hand lotions as they all contain alcohol. The course of the infection went from the base of my ring finger of my right hand into the palm of my hand with horrific itching, weeping blisters, and general feeling of sunburned skin.  From here it suddenly appeared on my left hand in the same manner.  Today,1 month later, there is a layer of skin gone on the palms of my hands and a severe rash on the back and sides of both hands; it is also spreading to my wrist.  Without the pj, the hands are cracked, angry red, and swollen.  I have started wearing cotton gloves (with the finger tips cut off) after I have liberally applied pj; extra dose for overnight.  Because it seems to continue to spread, I wonder if there are other things this could be and is there anything at all for the itching.  The itching is not constant but when it flares up, like in the middle of the night, the cotton gloves allow me to just wring my hands together so I don't scratch and bleed.  I need my hands to do so much. Thank you.
Tags: yeast, Skin, "curtaneous candidiasis, skin yeast infection, HANDS