Deep cracked heels

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Deep cracked heels

My husband 40 yrs old has deeply dry cracked skin on the heels of his feet. He has had it since as long as he can remember and the 20 yrs I have known him. It gets really bad in the winter time- although for the past 13 yrs we have been living in San Diego with mild winters  and seasons don't really change here at all. Seems odd to me.  These cracks in his heels are DEEP in the winter time- about 1/2 to 3/4 inch- and do cause pain but he has had it so long he has adapted to it. Wears socks 24/7 and thinks that helps him some. He says if he didn't wear socks it would be much worse. He doesn't think there is anything that can do about it but he is basing that on the multiple Dermatologists he saw as a teenager 20 plus years ago. Is there any over the counter treatment, lotions or advances in dealing with severely cracked heels?
Cracked heels are a common foot problem that are often referred to as heel fissures. Cracked heels are commonly caused by dry skin (xerosis), and made more complicated if the skin around the rim of the heel is thick (callus). For most people this is a nuisance and a cosmetic problem but when the fissures or cracks are deep, they are painful to stand on and the skin can bleed - in severe cases this can become infected.
Applying an oil based moisturizing cream twice daily is really important to get on top of this problem.
You could also apply an anti-biotic cream on affected area.Drmatology has come a long way now.So you could visit one to discuss other treatment options.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a severe case of xerosis. Also callus formation may have to be present here but instead of being protective the constant pressure and irritation over the area may lead to some thinning and breaking of the skin. Is your husband quite on the heavy side?

Constant moisturizing is the main form of therapy here. Your husband may use a mild vitamin E cream over the area everyday . Also, try to wash the feet with warm water with a teaspoon of salt added to soothe his feet. Use only soft non irritating socks. Use comfortable sandals with good arch support for shoes. Avoid scraping or scrubbing the area. You may consult with a dermatologist for this. Other products like Cetaphil and Aveeno lotions may also help.
I have had this same problem for the last 10 years since living in Phoenix and after trying all kinds of creams, trying other people's suggestons, etc. finally found something that works!!  I bought the PediEgg, Professional at Sally's Beauty Supply -- $10.   Suggest starting this on a Friday or Sat nite. Soak the heals (or shower) so the skin is relatively soft.  Use the PediEgg to scrape off some of the callus.  Apply Aquaphore (it's made by Eucerin) and wrap heels in saran wrap and secure with scotch tape.  Sleep with this on.  (it doesn't bother my sleep any)  You'll start to see improvement after the first go round.  My heel cracks were also so bad that at times I was limping the pain was so bad. Good luck!