Rash around mouth area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash around mouth area

In the last week I have developed this rash like thing that covers a circle shape around my mouth area. It feels like a layer of skin has been lost and it is very sensitive. It is a really bright red colour and doesnt seem to be going away.

What should I do?

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be perioral dermatitis or eczema.Perioral dermatitis typically affects the nasolabial folds, perioral area or perioccular area. It usually affects women between the ages of 20 and 45. It is usually characterized by an uncomfortable burning sensation around the mouth. Itching is not a common symptom.Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

If the symptoms are not controlled by topical antibiotics,then oral antibiotics may be needed.

Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

See the treatment modalities for both are different and so it is better to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.Till then Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.