11 yr old son has sudden eraser sized brown spots on face
My son came downstairs after cleaning his face tonight (no change in that routine, other than the fact that he is doing it more regularly these days) and told me he had spots on his face. I turned around and was shocked. He has 2 pencil eraser sized round light brown spots on his face and one very light coloerd one.I ran my finger over the 2 darker ones, and I can just barely feel them there. Not raised really, but not just a skin discoloration.
I asked him if he had been messing with a pen cap or something, maybe run into something (he's a bit clumsy, but what almost-twelve year old boy sin't?), but the marks are on his lift and right jawline. The lighter third one is also on the left side. While they aren't in exactly the same place on both sides, it is pretty darn close. And no, it's not dirt. That was the first thing I checked, lol. I'm a little worried, and I think I will be taking him to the dermatologist as soon as I can, but I thought I would check here, too.
While I'm here, I may as well ask about my 7 year old son too. His father has rosacia, and his poor little face is bright red when he gets the slightest bit warm or flushed. He also has tons of little white bumps on his face. The dr. called the bumps 'pearls' and decided it was some kind of acne? On a 7 year old? The bumps aren't even under the skin. If I didn't know better, I would say his face 'looks' like it needs a good scrubbing, but that will do nothing good... She gave me a script for Salex 6% salicylic acid for it, but I have seen no improvement. He also has the same on backs of arms and calves. Thnx
Hi, Sarah-
Found your post by accident, while searching for something else but wanted to tell you re: your 7 year old: My son has nearly exactly the same thing.
We had him to his pediatrician, and a dermatologist, and they determined it was something called "keratosis pilaris" I believe, which, they told me, is somehow related to dry skin.
He recommended a lotion called "Amlactin" which is over the counter, but some pharmacies might have to order it for you.
It makes a big difference with the bumps, especially on his thighs, calves and the backs of his arms.
He still gets little bumps on his face, and I need to ask the Dr. if he can use the Amlactin on his face...I've been hesitant, as many times what can readily be used on the body is too harsh for facial skin.
I basically use the Amlactin on him once a day, right after his bath.
Seems to make a big difference, and if I forget for a few days, I notice the bumps coming up...
Hope this helps...
:)