5 months Postpartum rash on forearms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

5 months Postpartum rash on forearms

Hi!

I'm 5 months postpartum. I had hives that developed all over my body especially on my tummy and the back of my legs about 3 months postpartum. It lasted about 1 month or 2. But then a couple weeks ago i got a tiny rash on my wrists and they started itching and moved to my forearms. Then I noticed the bumps on under my leg where the joint is. I used an antihistamine cream to sooth the itch and the rash eventually went away.  Then yesterday, the rash came back. It's itchier and only on my forearms. What could be the cause of this itchy rash? I'm thinking it might be that I drank Lemonade or I also did the dishes and used rubber gloves that go up to my elbows. But the gloves are old and I used them all the time just haven't in a while. Or could this be another side effect from having a baby? Please advise. Thanks!

H
Such a rash can be due to allergies or hives due to hormonal changes in the body. You need to take antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin. Longer-acting antihistamines are available by prescription. They cause less drowsiness and can work just as well. These medications include fexofenadine and cetirizine.  But they should always be taken under medical supervision.  Moreover you may try calamine lotion on the rash. You should also maintain hygiene and try to keep the area clean and dry, wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid deodorant / cosmetics. You can also steroid creams after a doctor’s guidance. If the rash persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Thanks so much for the information. are there creams safe for breastfeeding?

H
You can take oral antihistaminics but use steroid creams under a doctor’s guidance. Calamine lotion can be applied as it helps in soothing the area.