5 year old with rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

5 year old with rash

I noticed a red, raised cluster on my 5 year old buttocks on both sides this morning.  Since that time it has spread to his thigh, upper leg (above the knee), arms, trunk, neck, and face (in that order).  It does not appear to itch very much and he does not have fever.  Any idea of what we are dealing with?
From the symptoms it can be an allergic reaction, viral infection causing viral exanthematous rash or hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications. Since your child is very young, for the confirmation of diagnosis and before trying any treatment I suggest you to get it seen from a pediatrician.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.