Dermatology Community
5 yr old diaper rash for 2 weeks
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

5 yr old diaper rash for 2 weeks

My son, 5 years old never had a diaper rash in his life.Two weeks ago, he was constantly itching his butt and it was very red and raw in his rectal area. His doctor prescribed nystatin cream and told me it was a diaper rash. My son does not wear diapers and is potty trained.  I also remember my child passing gas much more frequently since the rash started but doesn't have any diaherra (diarrhea). Although he complained a couple of times he had stomach cramping  before he developed the rash. Been using the  the nystatin cream  for almost 2 weeks and the rash is about only 20% better. He is still very itchy. I'm  wondering if this could be rectal strep? A couple of his classmates had strep throat 2 weeks ago. Around that time my son had a sore throat too but didn't have a fever so we didn't goto the doctor. Please help.
Related Discussions
Hi,
The diaper  rash -- usually found in the genital area, the inner thighs, or the buttocks -- can be either dry or moist.
The main culprit is wetness. Even the most absorbent diaper or training pants are apt to leave some moisture on a toddler's skin. If your child stays in a dirty diaper too long, he's more likely to develop diaper rash. However, it can strike even kids whose parents are diligent diaper changers, often because the children are having an allergic reaction to diaper wipes, a disposable diaper, a laundry detergent that was used to wash cloth diapers, or a new food in their diet. Toddlers who are sick or taking antibiotics may get diarrhea (a side effect of the medication), which can also lead to diaper rash.
Leave his diaper or training pants off for as long as possible to let the air keep him dry and speed healing. If fresh air isn't enough, try an over-the-counter lotion containing zinc oxide.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/diaperrash
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank