Dermatology Expert Forum
A rash on the penis head spread to the area around the anus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hello

Two weeks ago I discovered that the head of my penis and the inside of my foreskin were covered in a rash - numerous small red pimples.  I wiped the area with hydrogen peroxide several times.  I also used Polysporin antibiotic ointment.  Hydrogen peroxide skin cells in the area to die.  Once the old skin came off, I couldn't see any rash - just the shiny new skin.

Within a couple of days, the rash appeared again.  This time it was Only on the head of my penis.  I can't see any rash on my foreskin.  I keep using polysporin on this rash.  The rash is still there.  It itches.

Five days ago, the rash spread to the area around my anus.  I used polysporin on it.  I also used hydrogen peroxide.  It doesn't look like there were effective.

I have a long distance relationship.  My girlfriend visited me and 10 days before the onset of the rash she performed unprotected oral sex on me.  We also kissed and I performed oral sex on her.  I don't have any rash in my mouth.  The rash could have been sexually transmitted, however, knowing my girlfriend's sexual history, I believe this is not likely.

What can this rash be, and are there any nonprescription ointments that I might try to reduce the discomfort and itching, and to get rid of it?  If I Do go to a doctor, can I just show him the rash on my penis, and not tell him about the rash around my anus?  Or would this reduce the likelihood of the doctor making the correct diagnosis?

Thank you for your help!
Rashes on the head of the penis are usually irritation, especially of they come and go.  Hydrogen peroxide is not necessary and may be irritating.  My advice is to use nothing more than a bland moisturizer like Vaseline, and by all means you should show both rashes to a doctor.  A prescription-strength cortisone cream may be all you need for occasional use.  Offhand, I can't think of a direct relationship with your girlfriend's visit, other than friction from the oral sex.  If that's what brought it on, gentle handling and time will be all you need.  As for the anal rash, those are common and no more than annoyances.  But you should still check both rashes out.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
To add to the description above - I may have spread whatever it is to the area around the anus with a towel or a hand...  Thank you for your time.
Go to the pharmacy and pick up Cortizone 10 cream, not gel, the "cream".  I can almost guarantee that the rash you have will go away within one weeks time using cortiszone.