A swollen bump on shaft of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

A swollen bump on shaft of penis

Hello everyone, I've been very worried these past 2 days, I have recently found a pimple-like bump on the shaft of my penis, next to my balls.

Some background info on me: I am 14 years old and I am a bit scared and embarrased on going to the doctor to check it out.

I want to know for sure what it is but I don't have the least idea of what it is.

It hurts when I squeeze it or touch it and when I grab it, it feels like a small area of "stuff" kind of like a wart.

I am happy to post a picture if needed. Help please!
From the symptoms it can be an infected hair follicle or a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thanks for the info!

Today, even though it was very painful, I squeezed it really hard and it popped just like a pimple. Some sort of whitish liquid came out (pus?) and it bleeded a bit. After that it didn't hurt anymore and I was VERY relieved.

The area is a bit swollen still but I think it will go down, right?

Thank you Dr. Bhupinder Kaur I really appreciate your reply.
Yes it will heal in a few days. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

I have the same problem a bump on the side of my penis that actually popped with puss and blood. Now it's swollen and has popped a few times and doesn't appear to be going away. I have had a small bump on my penis now for 10 years never went away or got bigger. When a few weeks ago it became bigger. I had it checked out by a doctor and she said it was not a std and it was just a bump and for me not to worry about it. Since the Doctor appointment the bump became bigger and It popped. I'm just wondering what to do now. Should I go to the doctor again? thanks
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers