Dermatology Expert Forum
A yeast infection on penis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

A yeast infection on penis?

I am male, 48 years old, circumcized.  Three weeks ago I noticed a red area, clearly defined, the size of a thumbnail, close the base of the head of my penis.  The red area is smoother than the rest of the penis head.  I noticed it just after sex with my wife.  When I press against the red area, the skin loses its redness and looks like the skin around it.  There is a (very) mild sensation of irritation.

I also have rosacia, frequent jock itch as well as athelets foot.  I also have taken antibiotics for many years--small dosage, one pill a day as prescribed by my doctor, to control the rosacia.  As a teen I was given tetracyclene for a long time for acne.

Is this red patch on my penis a yeast or fungal infection?  Could candida be at the root of it?  Recommended treatments?
It could be yeast, or just irritation.  You can try over-the-counter 1% clotrimazole twice a day for a week--that should kill any yeasts that are there, if there are any.  Beyond that, I'd just let the redness take care of itself.  If it gets worse or doesn't go away, you can show it to a doctor.  I don't think the other skin conditions you have are relevant.  

Yeasts, by the way, are usually not contracted from someone else-.  They live in the gut and mind their own business.

But I still don't think it's yeast.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
test
A related discussion, yest infection was started.