AFAM Toddler with Dry, Itchy Scalp
My two-year old has eczema and her pediatrician believes it is directly related to her dry, itchy scalp.  She is constantly (vigorously) scratching her scalp (even immediately after washes). Her ped recommending using Selsun Blue no more than twice/week. I use Selsun Blue naturals and find that her scalp is still dry and itchy if I only wash it twice/week.  It's better if I do it daily.  However, she is African American and I'm afraid that the daily washes will dry her hair.  What can I use on her scalp between washes to cut down on the frequency?  I've read that oiling her scalp can actually make her condition worse.  But, African Americans HAVE to use SOMETHING on our scalps/hair to retain moisture and avoid causing breakage.  Please help!  What do you recommend?
This dryness of scalp can be due to seborrheic dermatitis or eczema. Seborrehic dermatitis is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur. This skin disease is aggravated by sweating and humidity. To treat seborrheic dermatitis in children, gently shampoo the hair everyday with a gentle shampoo while scales are present. After scales have disappeared, you may reduce shampoos to twice weekly. Then rinse thoroughly and brush softly. For stubborn patches, apply some mineral oil to the baby's scalp and wrap warm, wet cloths around his head for up to an hour before shampooing. Take care that the cloth does not get cold. If the symptoms persist then topical drugs and shampoos are needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.