Abnormal Mole

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Abnormal Mole

I recently had a mole removed, and the doc said it looked "suspicious".  He did a shave biopsy, and the results came back as abnormal. Now he is sending me to a plastic surgeon, because he said this can definetly turn to melanoma. He said the pathologist found microscopic abnormal cells, and he called it dysplastic.  I've had dysplasia before, and I asked him what degree it was. And the plastic surgeon said it wasnt even mild, there were just small amounts of abnormal cells, so they want to do more surgery. They want to do down 5mm X 5mm all around where the mole was. I am a little concerned.  Does this sound like overkill?  And why a shave biopsy on a suspicious mole?  Shouldnt he have done a punch, to get the whole mole out?  I'm really freaking out - I'm not a sun person, and could this really turn into melanoma?
If there are highly dysplastic cells in the mole, then it needs to be evaluated for a melanoma. I suggest you to go ahead with your follow up with a plastic surgeon/ oncologist and get a small area removed. Then the status of the lymph nodes also needs to be ascertained. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.