Abnormal hair follacle or problem?
So I just went infront of a mirror to pop a couple pimples and normally I get one on the very top of my nose between my eyes. Well, there wasn't one there this time, but I squeezed it anyway. To my surprise, I heard a loud pop and a momentary searing pain was felt. When I opened my eyes there was a stream of something I can only describe as 20 - 40 little hairs held together by a pimple like goo ~1cm long and ~0.5mm in diameter. This has never happened before and I became quite alarmed. The lump that had been SLOWLY growing there over the last 5 years is now gone.

Is this a problem I should be concerned with? A fluke? What happened and what caused it? Will it continue to happen?
It's just a plug of sebum from ingrown hairs.  

Start washing your face twice a day with a mild soap and use a mild astringent once a day.  Witch hazel is nice and inexpensive for this.  Your nails are dirty, so you need to get a nail brush and scrub your nails when this happens, and keep your nails shorter.  Try to keep your hands away from your face.  Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables and lean meat, fish and poultry that is organic.  

If this doesn't control outbreaks, try vinegar as an astrigent at night.  It will cause temporary redness.  Or use a tea tree oil soap to step it up.