Abrasion on penis
About 5 weeks ago noticed a small red spot on the head of my penis.  Did not hurt, either way was tested for HIV, syphillis, gonorrhea, chlamydia.  Also had 3 visual inspections of the area.  Within last 2 weeks the head has started to hurt when working (I wear boxers).  During the workday the area becomes quite irritated and upon further inspection I can see small abrasions.  The area feels better and reduces in redness at night without wearing underwear, but returns the next day as soon as I put on my boxers.  I have been freaked out thinking it might be herpes from the beginning, but the doctors keep telling me it most likely is not.  Some of the abrasions look like small vertical cuts and after reading about paper cuts with herpes I have been freaking out even more.  But then again I only feel the pain when wearing underwear.
Chafing can be one of the possibilities for your symptoms. It does not sound like herpes which presents with itchy blisters that scab over.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.