Dermatology Expert Forum
Abrasion on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Abrasion on penis

Dr.
    I have an abrasion on the shaft of my penis (toward the tip) that is localized and oval shaped. I have on and off dull pain in the area and it does not appear to be a blister, though it looks as if it could turn into one. I have had this for over three weeks now and it has not changed shape or size. It is not elevated either. It has no liquid or pus in it. I was wondering whether this could be from maturbation? I have had irritations before from maturbation, though the irritations usually go away within a week when I get them. Is it possible for an abrasion to linger on for over a month? Could this be the beginning of a viral or bacterial infection such as herpes or chancroid? When the skin in this area is stretched, I experience slight pain, such as that from an erection. It seems odd that this abrasion is in such an isolated spot, and not more widespread if it were from masturbation. This sore is not easily seen until close inspection. Are there infections that start like this? Thanks.
I do indeed think it could be from masturbation.  Perhaps it persists because you examine it closely or masturbate more.  I doubt very much that this is viral or bacterial.  I advise you to leave it alone and see a doctor for proper diagnosis.  Meantime, just use a bland moisturizer like vaseline a few times a day.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff