Dermatology Expert Forum
Accutane

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Accutane

My quesiton is two-fold.  First, my doctor recently perscribed Accutance for the treatment of acne.  I have not started taken it because my wife and I are trying to get pregnant.  My doctor assured me that we have nothing to be concerned about, but I am still worried because of the chance of birth defects and low sperm count.  Should I be concerned?  Second, I am also in the middle of training for a marathon and I am also concerned that the accutance will effect my training.  As I am trying to do as much research as possible, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
McGuire:

No problem either way.  Accuatne affects the embryo, not the sperm (or the unfertilized egg, for that matter.)  The issue of male fertility was put to rest before the drug was introduced to the public, and that was in 1982.

Many of my Accutane patients are very athletic.  I've treated college linebackers during the season (and one of them is in the (NFL!).

Good luck!

Dr. Rockoff
Many thanks for your quick response and insightful comments.  Great message board!