Dermatology Expert Forum
Accutane
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Accutane

My quesiton is two-fold.  First, my doctor recently perscribed Accutance for the treatment of acne.  I have not started taken it because my wife and I are trying to get pregnant.  My doctor assured me that we have nothing to be concerned about, but I am still worried because of the chance of birth defects and low sperm count.  Should I be concerned?  Second, I am also in the middle of training for a marathon and I am also concerned that the accutance will effect my training.  As I am trying to do as much research as possible, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
McGuire:

No problem either way.  Accuatne affects the embryo, not the sperm (or the unfertilized egg, for that matter.)  The issue of male fertility was put to rest before the drug was introduced to the public, and that was in 1982.

Many of my Accutane patients are very athletic.  I've treated college linebackers during the season (and one of them is in the (NFL!).

Good luck!

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
Many thanks for your quick response and insightful comments.  Great message board!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker