Dermatology Expert Forum
Acne or Herpes?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Acne or Herpes?

Last month I had a pimple or blister under my nose, close to my lip. It started off as a welt, the next morning it looked like a pimple, then by the end of the day it was oozing or weeping fluid, which dried and formed a crust. If the crust was broken, it would continue to weep fluid until it dried to form a honeylike crust. It doesn
I don't think it's herpes either.  But I can't be sure from your description.  So here's what I'd do: arrange to see the dermatologist within 24 hours of an outbreak.  That way cultures for viruses and bacteria can be done in a way which will give reliable information.  That's the only way you're going to be sure about this.

And by the way, even if it is herpes, there's no reason for you to sound so concerned.  Herpes of the lip is a cold sore, which affects millions and is no more than a mild annoyance, which medication can limit or even prevent.

Meantime, please take care to leave the lesion alone--no picking or squeezing, please.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your response. I do have an arrangement with a dermatologist to get in to see him as soon as I notice something. And I think I am going to get another blood test in a couple of months to see. Maybe 3 months wasn't enough time to develop sufficient antibodies. I guess it's the not knowing one way or another that has me so concerned about this.

I don't know what to do in the mean time. Should I just tell girls that I date that I think I get cold sores, and hope for the best or just forget about it until I see something, which could be next month or next year. Guess I'll deal with that when it comes up.

Thanks again,

-D-