Dermatology Expert Forum
Acutane Side Effects

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Acutane Side Effects

Hello, I am taking Acutane to help my acne problem and I had a couple questions.  I know that you are not supposed to drink alcohol while on acutane, I was wondering if every once in a while I didn't take my daily dose and then went out with my friends and had a few drinks.  Would that be all right?  What happpens when you drink alcohol while on acutane?  Also I wanted to know if it is o.k. to have a whey protein shake a couple times a week, it says it has like 2% of the vitamin we can't take while on acutane.  What will happen if I take that vitamin?  Thanks for your time.  I appreciate you answering my questions.
Mike:

Accutane is related to Vitamin A, so taking more Vitamin A might make your lips drier.  Otherwise, vitamins are no problem.

As for alcohol, Accutane can theoretically inflame the liver.  In my experience, this is very rare.  The reason they tell you not to drink is that alcohol can inflame the liver too, if you drink lots of it.  Check with your doctor, but I don't think an occasioanl drink is a problem, even if you don't skip a dose.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
hi,
my name is josh. i am a little boy just striking puberty and now i look like i fell in a bottle of acne.i was thinking of trying acutane. i already tried tetracycline but it didn;t work. please help. what do you suggeST?

your little friend josh
I just wanted to let you know that I was prescribed Acutane about six years ago, I am 28 now.  I thought the medication was an absolute miracle.  There were the side effects like dry skin and lips, but it was well worth all of that.  I did drink while taking the medication, but I am not advising anyone to do this.  I had no apparent side effects because of the alcohol mixed with the Acutane, but still I am not advising ANYONE to drink while on Acutane.

Overall the Acutane was great for me and cleared my skin beautifully.  Occasionally I get a pimple now but for a few years after the medication I never got one.
A rash has developed on my biceps and forearms. Is this a result of a side effect of Acutane. I've been taking the medication for two weeks. First week one pill a day, and the second one pill in the morning and one pill at bedtime.
Well.  I've been seeing a dermatolgist for about two years now for acne.  We tried several antibiotics that I was allergic to and finally found amoxicilin and it seems to work well for me in terms of clearing up the acne BUT!  I've had constant problems with yeast infections and bladder infections and I've been constipated almost constantly for the last 6 months.  I'm ready to try something else.  I've heard that acutane is wonderful and I've also heard that it's very bad so I'm trying to figure out the truth about it.  Any comments?  Advice?

G
A related discussion, Mood was started.
A related discussion, side effects of accutane was started.