Dermatology Expert Forum
Acutane or not?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Acutane or not?

I am 25 yrs old and have had acne for 5 yrs. I think it's pretty bad but others say it is mild. I have been on several anti-biotics over the last year that have not been very helpful. I am currentyl on erythromicin and I am not enjoying the side effects. I'm sure the side effects of Acutane are far worse and my doctor wants to put me on Acutane if the current treatment does not work. Is there anything else I can do besides Acutane? I'm scared of the side effects it will bring. At the same time, my acne makes me very insecure and I want to find a remedy very soon!!!!!! HELP!!!
Janete:

Do yourself a favor and stay open to the use of Accutane.  Accutane is a wonderful drug which has been in wide use for almost 17 years.  In most people it causes dry lips and not much else.  Of course, there are precautions to be taken: blood tests, contraception, etc, as you doctor will no doubt elaborate.  But the actual day-to-day taking is rather easy for most everyone.

If antibiotics are making you unhappy and not better, consider Accutane seriously. and at any rate don't rule it out because of side-effects you may be worrying about more than needed.

Best.

Dr. R
my friend play outdoor sports all year round, would acutane be an option for her to treat her acne problem?
Anna:

Put it this way: physical activity like sports is no reason not to take Accutane, if it is otherwise appropriate.

Best.

Dr. R
I took Acutane for almost five months last year and am very pleased with the results.  While I did not have a serious case of acne, I would regularly have one or two pimples that would take ages to clear up.  Not to mention  that occurs with acne.

Nonetheless, I have noticed that when I am exposed to sunlight, what seems to be a pimple on my cheek flares up and then goes away again within about  good reasons, I tend not to spend much time in the sun.  

Is it true that the skin is still much more sensitive to ultraviolet rays, as a result of taking Acutane?

Thank you for your reply.  My e-mail address is ***@****
Nope--once you finish taking it, Accutane leaves and is gone.

Best.

Dr. R
I am 20yrs old and I took acutane when I was 18yrs old. for about 5 1/2 months. I had excellent results as far as my acne was concerned (I don't even have scars!) The side effects I experienced included: peeling lips, dry eyes, dry skin, face flushed(very rosy areas) easily(usually when I exercised) and lethargy, etc. All in all my experience was good and the side effects were tolerable. I do have a question about something that took place 5 months AFTER I stopped taking acutane. I had septoplasty/rhinoplasty sx 5 months after ending acutane and 6 days after my sx I hemmoraged (from my nose) and had to be hospitalized because the bleeding would not stop. I don't have a bleeding disorder and my doctor doesn't think it was a result of taking acutane. My question is, Do you think it could have been a result of the acutane? I remember reading that a possible side effect was bleeding problems. Is it?
No,I really don't think so.  There is no connection I can think up.

Dr. R
I have had two courses of Accutane and it worked great but not for long periods of time. Didn't care to start third course cause of side affects, dryness, more acne for about 3 months and depression. Am now trying erythromicin/cetaphil compound and although just started recently, I am seeing improvememt already with no side effects. Give it a try, may work for you to.
Janete,
   Wow! I'm really shocked to come across your letter. I am currently searching for any info. on law suits pertaining to the side effects of acutane.. I'll tell you a little about my experience with acutane. I've had acne since I was 12. I know the frustration you are experiencing with antibiotics, the acne itself, the insecurities, all of it! At the age of 16 I was thrilled when my doctor told me about acutane. After 9 months my skin did clear up. During that 9 months I experienced horrible side effects probably similar to the ones your doctor has told you about. But at the same time my skin got better, my life started falling apart. To make a long story short, 9 months after I began aacutane, I was diagnosed with clinical depression, at the age of 17. A year ago, I came across an article that included some shocking statistics about patients suffering from depression after several months of acutane. I also recomend going to a pharmacy and finding a medical book about prescriptions. The one I found listed depression as a common side effect. To top it all off, a year later tha acne returned and worse. However, if you haven't tried an antibiotic called Cleocin T , ask your doctor about it. I've recently tried it again, after a friend of mine had luck with it, and have noticed a huge change after only 1 month. My dermotoligist thinks I'm crazy, but I also stopped drinking milk 2 weeks ago after my mother reminded me that I was allergic to it as a child and that has seemed to improve my skin even more.you might want to look into any food allergies you might have. I think if you continue researching these antibiotics, you'll find the answers your looking for and I wish you the best of luck.
I AM 34 YEARS OLD, AND HAVE HAD ACHE FOR YEARS.I `VE BEEN ON ACCUTAINE BEFORE, BUT ONLY FOR 1 MONTH.THE SIDE AFFECTS WERE DRYED MY EYES AND NOSE OUT TERRIABLY. MY DOCTOR SAYS I SHOULD GO BACK ON IT FOR A LONGER TIME, AND MAYBE NOT TAKE IT IN THE WINTER.WHAT`S YOUR OPION?
Sounds reasonable to me, Tracy.  Most everyone can take it if they do it slowly and under supervision.
My doctor will not prescribe Acutane.
He says that it may cause cancer several years from now, and that is not worth the risk, so I am looking for other acne cures. The antibiotics and creams are not working.
I like to drink pee.  Should I still take acutane?
Kathy Mcg:

I don't know whether you should be on Accutane or not, but your doctor's statement is completely without merit or justification.  In fact, the class of drugs of which Accutane is a part has been shown to PREVENT cancer, and Accutane is used that way in patients who have a rare, hereditary predisposition to skin cancer.

Find yourself another doctor.

Dr. R
accutane is the drug from hell....can cuase internal organ problems ....increase probability of skin cancer...excessive drying of lips, face body...i took it for several months and had horrible side effects....one morning i made the mistake of laughing and got a huge cut across my face from where the skin was so dry...it just ripped apart...plus while i was on the
hell-drug my cuts didnt clear up..so i was left with a cut on my face for over a month....that was just as bad as the acne itself....i would never consider taking it again....it did however clear up my acne....but i dont know if it was worth the cost of 6 months of daily pain and torture....my best advise for anyone considering it is do as much researcha s you can and talk to your doctor(often times multiple opinions are great as well!)....also for women considering accutane....you should also look into orthotricycline....its a birth control drug...that also works in a similar was to accutane in that it helps clear up acne...i know a few women who have used this instead of accutane and had just the same results( makes sense too considering that oftan times you are required to go on birth control with accutane)....hope this helps some....

-spencer

-spencer
I am an Esthetican and have had acne to some degree all my life. It seems as though as soon as it starts to get better, it all of a sudden gets worse. Currently I am getting large pustules, papules and blackheads on my cheeks mainly. I am taking tetracycline and have been using beta hydroxy creme and it's not helping. In my industry, no one is going to listen to someone about skin care if their own skin is broken out. Is there anything besides acutane that could help or is acutane my best bet? My other concern is that if acutane is my only option that my MD will not prescribe it since my case of acne is not grade 3 or 4!!?? Please help!
I have taken accutane before (about 5-6 years ago-I was 25/26) and I was wondering if there were any serious concerns about retaking this drug again. Also, is there any minimum as to how many times can a person take this treatment.

I have been taking accutane for 3 months and have noticed a lot of pain in my knees and hips as well as my neck.  Are these pains related to accutane?  My acne has cleared up and the only definite side effects I have experienced have been dry skin.
is there aey known or suspected interaction between acutane and depression during treatment. thanks
Please give me a complete breakdown of the individual components of Acutane.
I am a Natural Hygienist and need this information immediately.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Peter Moon
***@****
Is occasional alcohol consumption okay when on Acutane.  Maybe having 8 beers in one night, once a month.  Is it okay for a little alcohol and will there be any side effects for it.  Also, this may seem like an extreme question, but has anyone ever become very ill from taking acutane?  What is the worst case scenerio from taking acutane?  Will drinking a lot of water help to avoid some of the acutane side-effects and can you still work out(lifting weights about 8 hours a week)? Will acutane clear up all acne on the face, back and arms for the rest of your life basically?  Thanks.
Dear Dr. R,
My son has now been on accutane 40 mg. for his first month.  He is now entering his 2nd month taking 80 mg. which will now be the treatment for the next 5 months.  So far so good.  I have been very concerned because of all of the scare stories people tell, however, we are praying that this works for him as the acne itself can be very depressing in itself and we feel that we have to give this a try.  My question to you, is about a calcium supplement for bones and joints.  Dr. Art Ulene had a radio talk show on yesterday regarding Accutane and he highly suggested taking a calcium supplement while on this treatment program.  Please advise and also when should it be taken?  At the same time or a different time?  Thank you for your information and time via this forum as we do appreciate your knowledge.
Lynda
What are the real side effects of acutane? Other than dry lips. What happens if someone does get pregnent while using the drug? Has it proven to cause cancer, tumors, ect? How harmful is it in your bloodstream?
My 16 year old daughter has been on acutane for a year now, and I have not seen any valuable changes. Our doctor assures us that things will improve; he says her face is "under construction".

I don't know what to think anymore. We were hoping that acutane would help her through her high school years. We thought that with acutane, her face would look better than if we did not use the medication. BUT I don't see any positive results.

So far, my insurance has never payed for the medication. It is now costing me $185.00 for each prescription. I want to say that money is not the issue, but it does play a small part. I had expected that our financial sacrifices would benefit our daughter. But that has not yet happened.

Our doctor says that the procedure takes about 20 weeks. Well, we have been through 20 weeks, a couple of months ago. She is still taking the meds.

Does the medication really work, and if so, WHEN?
My oldest daughter went on Acutane for somewhat mild acne, although she did have constant breakouts and was starting to get many blackheads.  She did experience very dry lips, and her liver function tests began to show that her triglyceride count toward the end of her treatment, was very high.  She finished up and for the last 2 years (since finishing treatment) she has had the most beautiful skin.  My next daughter's skin seems to be about the same and my dermatologist agreed to put her on Acutane if the topical medications he prescribed proved to be not much help.  We decided to skip the other oral medications, such as minisin (sp?).  My questions are as follows:  As Acutane permanently shrinks oil glands, will this bring on early wrinkling?  Or is it that Acutane brings overactive oil glands down to normal?  Am I putting my daughter at undue risk by putting her on Acutane in an otherwise non-severe case of acne?  After all, this must be a potent drug if liver function tests are ordered each month. I would love her to be able to go through adolesence with lovely skin, but don't want to put her at other risks.  I would really appreciate your opinion.
I'm just finishing up my first week of accutane.  During that time I've been using the Habitrol patch.  Would the combination of these two lend to more severe side effects?  I've noticed my back getting stiff, and other less bothersome side effects such as dry skin, and lips.  I've read somewhere that this may permanently affect my back.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks.

what are the side affects involved with the use of acutane?  beside dry lips and skin?
What are all the side effect to acutane.
I am a freshman in college and have been attempting to get rid of my acne for three years. I have been put on Retin-A, Differin, Clindamycin, and other antibiotics. None of these have worked at all. I am seriously considering Accutane and was curious about what side effects it has been known to cause. What will it do for me? How is it different from the other medications I've tried already? How long will it take to see results? I would appreciate your help in my decision very much.
Everytime I use something for my skin, it does well, and then my acne comes back.  If I did take Accutane, is there a chance that my skin and body will adapt to it and get around it?  I know it sounds wierd, but it happens!!
My girlfriend, who's in her mid-30s, took Acutane for
her complexion. It has not only dried up her acne, but
also has dried up her vaginal fluids and decreased her
sex drive. She is severely depressed and I'm concerned
for her well being, as well as worried about the future
of our relationship, since her lack of interest in sex
is, of course, affecting that too.

Please offer any suggestions for reversing the effects
of Acutane or dealing with Acutane-induced sexual dys-
function and the accompanying depression.

Thank you,

Howard
***@****

I am a 17 year old who has been on and off antibiotics for a while.  While they do clear up my skin while i'm taking them, my acne always comes back.  My acne right now is not thatt bad, but i always have two or three deep bumps on my face.  I want to get rid of my acne by the time i go off to college.  Do you suggest that i take acutane?  I'm afraid that the side affects i may experience will affect me for the rest of my life.
I have been on acutane before. I got off of it and I had worse problems than I had initially. Initially I had some "teen" acne which was very mild and didn't bother me much but my family wanted me to see a dermatoligist because acne runs in my family. My older sister had bad acne. They put me on birth control and acutane and my body did not react perfectly. The birth control made me sick to my stomach and the acutane made me feel as though I was burning from the inside...I got sick of the drugs quickly.

Once my face cleared up completely I went off both and then maybe six months later things were worse than mild acne....now it is a yr later after I had been on acutane a year. I am 19 and I have horrible sores all over my body not just little "pimples" on my face. Now I have painful blood-filled sores on my back, neck, face, and butt like I have never had before. Now this never even happened to my sister who was showing much more adverse effects at a younger age. I want to do something about it now but I keep being offered acutane I feel it is one of the few things that will work however I am wondering if it caused all these painful sores to begin with? Is that possible? Or is it really just a matter that I had this passed on genetically and I just am dealing with similar problems like my sister only at a later date in time. Whatever the case I wish to hear from you. It is not only painful physically but also painful mentally to see how people treat me like I am less than a person when all they chose to see our external sores.

Thank you

N
I have a 15 years old son who is epileptic and suffers from acne since a couple of years. His epilepsy is "well" controlled
by taking daily 2x100mg of Lamictal (lamotrigine).
Would you know if Acutane may conflict with this medication?
Is Acutane the proper Acne medication?
As some comment mentioned that Acutane doesn't stay in the body
if not taken, does acne may come back later on?
Thank you, Pierre-Andr
I have been on Acutane for a month and am already seeing amazing results.  I have chapped lips, a rash on my arms, dry skin, and nose bleeds because of Acutane.  But, I can honestly say that in 4 months when it is over, it will be way worth it.  It isn't fun to be on, but finally my skin is clear and I don't feel so insecure.  I have even gotten a lot of compliments on my skin from strangers lately.  It feels great.
I have mild acne, but it is getting worse.  The antibiotics I am taking are not working and neither is retin A.  My self-esteem is going down hill fast and I want to take acutane.  How long does it take to start clearing up your skin.  Does acutane cure acne forever?  Please write back.

How common is depression as a side effect of Acutane?
I am 15 and have acne which I think is terrible, others tell me it isn't so bad but it makes me feel veryinsecure.  I have a bit of acne on my back as well.  I am currently talking DIANE-35 for my acne and contraception.  I have heard of the deformaties of a fetus.  Will this affect my pregnancy in the long run when I am no longer taking acutane?  Also does acutane get rid of all scarring as well?
I can't believe all the negative comments above mine!  Acutane saved my skin from permanent acne scarring.  I took the drug for five months, and had absolutely NOOOO alarming side effects.  My lips were a little chapped (I have very dry skin normally), my cholesterol was slightly elevated but within normal limits.  My acne was cured at the end of five months!  I'm a tiny woman, under 105 pounds.  Most meds have a big impact on my system, but I tolerated Acutane very well.  It was so worth it!  I LOOOOVE this miracle drug and I would gladly take it again if I need it (but fortunately, I don't!).

Amanda
I'm 32 and took acutane as prescribed by my doctor when I was 18. My acne was cured in a matter of months. I had the dry lips and the flaking scalp but other than that there were no short term side effects. I did go for regular blood work at the time and everything went well. Now I am experiencing gallbladder problems (attacks) which wake me up in the middle of the night. I have had my gallbladder photoed via ultrasound and radiology and the doctors have found that my gallbladder is very small. Neither the doctors or myself have found any connection to the ingestion of Acutane and gallbladder problems but I am suspicious. If anyone has any info please forward to my e-mail. Thanks.
***@****
Please tell about Acutane.  My son was on prednizone for Crohn's Disease and after his resection he was weaned off of Prednizone.  The acne he had has noe exploded and is very severe.  We are seeing a dermatologist soon, but wanted to find out a source that would recommend Acutane.  His immune system has taken a beating. How long do you have to be on acutane and what are the side effects?????
Do you belong to any organizations that would make you bias?  Or are you just a dermatologist
Last August my son was started on Acutane by a very good and thorough Physician's Assistant in a dermatologist office in California. He spent a great deal of time explaining the six month treatment, the possible side effects and complications. He explained the risk of liver problems and the need for blood work before and during treatment. He also said that the medication could also effect growth. He mentioned that during clinical trials two children stopped growing while on Acutane. He did say that the children were on different doses than what my son would be on.
Well, being the overly nervous mom that I am, I looked up Acutane in the Physicians Desk Reference. It mentioned the two children who stopped growing. It said they had premature closure of the epiphysis. I decided on my own to consult a pediatric orthopedist for a second opinion about the growth issue. I went to a doctor in Orinda California. He told me that he had never been asked about this before, but he suggested that we could do a Pre-treatment bone age x-ray and then do another in two months. After two months on Acutane I received a call from the Orthopedist who told me that in the two months my son was on Acutane his bone age went from 15 years to 17 years. He suggested that I take my son off the medication immediately and report it to the Dermatologist.
The Acutane was immediately stopped. I called the Dermatologist and Roche Laboratories(the maker of Acutane) and told them what happened to my son. They said they appreciated me for reporting it and said they will report it to the Food and Drug Administration. All of the medical records of my son's treatment and x-rays were sent to Roche Labs.
After seeing how easy it was to do a bone age study(just a hand x-ray) I would recommend to all parents who are considering putting their growing children on this drug to ask for pre-treatment bone age and another one about two months after treatment starts. Better yet, hold off on treatment until the child is done growing. If my child continued on this drug loosing one year of growth per month, he could have lost six years. Potentially all of his future growth.
I myself have been on Acutane several years ago and I think it is a wonderful medication. I recommend it for anyone who has finished growing. It states on the packaging of Acutane, that minimal bone changes have been detected by xray examination in some patients receiving Acutane. I don't think loosing one year of growth per month a minimal effect. My son may have just been a one time occurance but I would not want to take any chances that it may happen to another child.

I am about to start acutane but i want someone to tell me if its really going to be bad because i got Prom comming up and i dont want to have a dam pizza face tell me after 2 months what will it do and tell me about shaving and washing my face etc pls email me
at ***@****

I don't know if this will help anyone or not but I have had trouble with acne for years.  I am now 26 and have still not out grown the problem.  I tried most of the oral and topical treatments but did not have that great of results.  About 4 months ago I gave up on all the medications and started using rubbing alcohol as a topical before bed and before I put my makeup on, it has worked wonders.  If you do try rubbing alcohol know that it may make the situation look worse for the first few days but if you have the same results that I have had it is worth the try.  Be careful not to get to close to your eyes.  Good luck.
I took Acutane about five years ago, and it did a wonderful job of clearing up my acne. I have recently started taking a vitamin A supplement and am wondering if this will disrupt some kind of delicate vitamin A balance I have in my system becuase of the Acutane treatment. While I am not sure exactly how Acutane works, I know it has something to do with strange combinations of Vitamin A. Please let me know...
I am just completing my 2nd six month stint.  I was on acutane once when I was about 19, and it worked out very well for me.

About 14 years later (last year) I started breaking out again quite a bit, and when other antibiotics didn't work, I went back to acutane.  My doctor said that they have been finding quite a few people who were on acutane to be returning 10-15 years later.

I have never had a problem with acutane beyond dry lips.  In fact, I have felt better than ever when I have been on acutane.

I will do it again in another 10-15 years, if it is necessary.

Just thought I'd tell all of you out there... I have taken Acutane for two different treatments and YES it does work but you have to go through hell (excuse my language) while you are taking the medicine.  Some side effects I encountered were dry peeling lips, cracking in the corners of my mouth (good luck eating anything thicker than 1 inch), sore muscles (especially when I would lay down on my back and then go to get up because my ribs would hurt), dry itchy eyes, an extremely dry nose, and peeling dry patches of skin on my face.  You will look like hell while you are taking it, but the glory about this drug is that when you stop taking it, your face will heal, look beautiful, and feel healthy.  At one time, I also started to get dry patches on my body, but for the most part, the drug seems to dry up your skin and mucous membrane areas. I'm not a doctor, but if you want to ask me any questions, I'm more than willing to answer.  For all of you suffering out there at the moment because you are currently on the drug... Stick in there... you can do it... some things that worked for me were CARMEX lip treatment.  It may seem gross, but if you smear some in your nose with a Q-Tip, you'll feel much better.  Keep at least five containers of CARMEX around the house and with you at school or work.  Whenever you have to eat something or open your mouth, smear some all over the corners first and you'll feel a TON better, 'cause this stuff has Camphor in it, which relieves some of the pain.  Other things you can use are nose sprays and eye drops.  Some nose sprays will give you a lot of relief.  GOOD LUCK!!!
My son had thyroiditis last year, (hyperthyroid symptoms), and 6 months on Tapazol has him back to normal. He has an elevated Bilirubin count, but liver function tests are normal. His doctor thinks he may just be one of those who has an elevated bilirubin. Can he go on Accutane? He has had acne for5 years, and on every antibiotic you can name. He has been on non for the last year, only topicals. Can he go on Accutane with the high bilirubin? please respond.
hi-i am 14 years old and want to go on acutane but my doctor says i should try other things first but i have already tryed alot of stuff i really want acutane my acne is not that bad but i makes me drepessed and self-consice (spelling) is my age the reason my doctor won't give me acutane? please write back

thanks!!!
ashley
Hi I've had bad acne for quite awhile now.  I've taken all the anti-biotics known to man.  But none seem to work.  Do you think Acutane might be good for my acne?
My 19 year old daughter has been on acutane for 5 months.  Her face has cleared up tremendously.  However, she is experiencing symtoms (symptoms) of a urinary tract infection.  She is testing negative for that but continues to have pain, pressure and urgency.  She has undergone seveal tests and the urologist cannot find the problem.  I heard yesterday that sometimes the acutane can cause  unspecific urological problems.  What do you know of that and can you just come off acutane all at once?
I need some advice on how to get rid of excessive dry lips.  I am not currentlly on medication, but I use blistex regularly, too much... I drink plenty of fluids every day, but my lips are always chapped. ( no sores of any kind, just cahapped) What can I do to stop the dryness?
MY GIRLFRIEND IS CURRENTLY ON ACUTANE BUT EVER SINCE SHE HAS TAKEN THIS DRUG I HAVE SEEN HER ATTITUDE GO FOR THE WORST IS THAT POSSIBL? WHAT ARE ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS
My husband took acutane in 1988 at age. He had a stroke. He survived thank God. He wears a brace and had limited use of left since. It was attributed to Acutane since it raises the blood pressure.   He took it for adult acne.
This message is for the people that have been on acutane for extended periods of time-some mentioned being on it for a year or more. Acutane is a serious drug and should not be taken carelessly, I would consult the opinion of a different doctor if you are  advised to stay on the drug for extended periods of time.  I think the recommended time period is between 3-6 months. You should also ask your pharmacy for a print-out of the side effects related to acutane.  If you have any severe effects you should contact your doctor immediately.
I underwent a treatment with accutane several years ago for severe acne, and when i finished my course of treatment there was not a blemish is sight....
until several months ago. The acne has now returned and am trying a course with Orthotricycline to clear it up.
My biggest concern isn't only the acne, but have developed some untoned areas on my face, blotches of dark skin....like a pregnancy mask. I'm wondering if those will get worse with the new treatment and if it was a result of the accutane.
anyone know??
Hi!, I'm 15 yrs. old, and i have a medium case of acne, since about 2 yrs. ago! i have absolutely tried everything, i have read these reviews and they seem petrifying, can all these side affects really happen? my sisters on it and has been seeing pretty good results, but i have more of a rashy acne, is it right for me? i heard if you take if for about 5 mos. your acne clears up and never comes back, is that true? pleasssseeeeeeeeeeee write back and give me answers, that would be much appreciated to not only me, but everyone!Thanks!:)
I have EXTREMELY bad acne, I have gone through so many different types of therapy without any help.  My doctor had put me on acutane and it made my skin horribly dry to the point of having severe blisters, extreme reddness, clusters of skin crust and an all round disscomfort leading to my severe depression.

As a result, I am in a tremendous deal of pain when I try to brush my teeth, eat, or even smile. Because of my pain I choose to stop taking acutane, was this a wise choice? or is there anything that can help or reduce the side effects that I am experiencing?  Is there anything other than acutane?

Please help me, I am 16 yrs old without many options
write back or email: ***@****
Have there been any instances of Acutane disturbing the menstrual cycle. I'm now late and I'm not sure if it's from the acutane. please help.
accutane is great!!! i just love how it makes my lips look like an ash tray. also i like the fact that it causes liver damage which was never told to me till after i completed a 5 month course of this drug. please anyone who is reading this consider what i have said. dont listen to that dumb ***** who claims to be a doctor.
I have cystic acne which is responsive to minocin 250 mg daily. I also have left side colitis long standing,13 yrs and I am considering acutane therapy. I am on asacol 2.4 gm. daily for maintenance. My G.I. says he is not aware of any contraindications regarding U.C. and Acutane therapy. Would you agree with my Gastroenterologist.
My son has been on Accutane for 4 months with great results.  He has not suffered any side effects other than slightly dry lips.  I am in constant fear that there could be side effects that which we can not see.  He decided he wanted to go on it after 1 year of antibotics which where probably not doing much for his system themselves.  After reading this forum however when this script runs out and he gets his blood tested I will look at them myself and decide.  If his liver count is up he's out.  For those of them that can take it though Accutane did clear up his acne and he claims it was worth it.
At the age of 11, I had severe acne that was such a curse to me.
I tried every product over the counter but nothing would help. over the years, of Facials and cleansers my face is not near as bad. But it is mild and still will never clear up no matter what I use. I have been wanting to take Acutane, thinking it will make my scars and blemishes vanish. My mom says that my face is not bad enough to be on Acutane. " Does it matter how bad of acne you have, to be on Acutane?"
Also Does Acutane efect the liver? - A doctor told me that I had an "over-heated" liver. Would taking Acutane be bad on my liver?
Dr,
Hey whats up, I took acutane for 6 months, and boy did it help.  My skin is clear and healthy, but my question is.  After I stop taking it am I going to start getting acne again, or does it just go away.  I noticed that I after I shave and apply aftershave that has a alchochol base, my face is fine and no break outs.  Just wondering if it comes back.. thanks

Mike
I was on accutane for 5 months and have been off it now for about 6 months. My skin has cleared up, with the exception of a pimple here or there every now and again. You answered somenone's question about sensitivity to sunlight, and said that once the accutane is done, so are the side effects.  Well, this is not true. Since taking accutane, my skin is more sensitive to the sunlight and I freqently get ecxema, something that I have never had before. I have a brother who took accutane ten years ago, and the same is true for him. I think they do not know enough about this drug for it to even be on the market, and I am now worrying about cancer, liver problems, or the possibility of having a baby with serious birth defects, even though I am no longer on accutane.
i took acutanne in high school as a last ditch effort to help cure my cystic acne.  i experienced the typical dry lips and plams, nose bleeds and slight hair loss.  acutane was a miracle drug for me... my face was acne free for over 10 years.  Now at 30, i am on actuane again to clear up mild acne.  I'm about 3 months in and am experiencing boughts of depression (mild to extreme).  i didn't have this problem the first time and wonder if any adult acutane users also share this problem.
Should a person take a calcium supplement while on Acutaine?
A related discussion, is it possible to take accutane with no gallbladder? was started.
A related discussion, Acutane was started.