All over itch - no rash & other symptoms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi - I have developed a very bad itch all over my body this past week. It started on my lower legs and is now on my back, stomach, arms, face - everywhere. Note I have not changed any detergents or products that could irritate. I also have been feeling increasingly tired and experience joint ache, especially when climbing stairs I notice it. Finally, and I don't know if this is connected, but my hands have been increasingly sore, almost arthritic in the past few weeks. I am a 29 year old female, have a history of iron and b12 deficiency and therefore decided three days ago to up my iron intake (spatone) as I was concerned this was the cause but it hasn't helped. I have taken antihistamines the past couple of days but no change - it doesn't help at all. No sign of any rash from what I can see. It occurs all day, no matter what the weather or climate is like. I have no idea what's wrong. Would appreciate any help.
Iron deficiency anemia is one of the causes of itchy skin without any rash. You should take iron supplements for the same. Skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have visited my GP and she is doesn't know what the problem is - she has taken a blood sample and it's at the lab. I should have some results by tomorrow. Thanks for your help.