Allergic reaction to Antibiotic Keflex (Cephalexin)??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

A few weeks back I had a cold that ultimately led to a sinus infection.  I went to the doc and they indeed confirmed the infection, and prescribed me a 7 day dosage of Cephalexin.  After 7 days, there were still some lingering symptoms of the infection, so they prescribed me another 7 day course.  I am at the end of that course and the sinusitis is gone.  

However, just yesterday, I started itching all over and today I've noticed small, faint red bumps scattered all over my body essentially.  These are, undoubtedly, the cause of the itching (though the itching is not incredibly bad).  I have had an allergic reaction before to an antibiotic (don't remember what kind it was, but I was taking it for acne when I was a teenager) except that was full blown, head to toe hives that itched AWFULLY.  This, so far, is just very small bumps that itch kinda like it feels when your skin gets dry.

Is it unusual to have a reaction that far into an antibiotic?  That is the only thing I can think of that could be causing it?  Could it be something I ate or drank with it?  Anyone have a similar experience w/ an antibiotic at the end of the course?
I actually have the almost same thing as you and am trying to figure out what it is. I have been on 30 days of antibiotics for some kind of throat infection. First had Cephalexin, didnt work, then had doxycycline, didnt work, and then had metronidazole. Still have my throat problem, going to specialist. Anyways, on my last cycle of pills on day 7 started noticing the red pimple like bumps all over my chest which weren't there ever before. Then I also started generalized itching not where the spots are.

Also wondering if this has anything to do with the long antibiotic use? I have been on antibiotics before just for a week and nothing happened but wondering if a longer period is perhaps what is making a reaction to them.

Hope we can figure out what is wrong!
This sound similar to what I'm going through right now.  Here's my problem:

I had tonsillitis so my Dr. proscribed the antibiotic Cipro (Ciprofloxacin HCL 500mg).  I took it for 7 days around day 5 or 6 I noticed I was getting small red pimply bumps on my chest and neck.  I waited hoping they would go away but they just got worse so I called my the Dr. He prescribed Methylprednisolone 4 mg, a low dose steroid that I had to take for 7 days.  This caused my rash or hive or whatever to go way.  Although 2 days after my 7 day dose was up they came back again.  I called the Dr. again, who again prescribe another 7 days of Methylprednisolone (by the way this drug makes me feel crazy, I hate it).  Again it worked the rash/hives were gone and 2 days after stopping they were back yet again!!!

So now it's 3 weeks after I stopped taking Cipro but I still have this rash.

I just went to a different Dr. who prescribed Lidex which is a cream.  Hopefully this works.  I'll keep you posted and I hope you get an answer to your problem as well.
ditto on the pillpack,it works miracles on many things!
Oops, I didn't read last post right.  Most people have miracules results with that 7 day pillpack. I had a allergic reaction to sulfa drugs for sinus infection. I had a full body rash for the whole summer because nothing took it away. I was lucky enough to have a smarter doctor prescribe the medodose (sp?) pillpack and all went away before the week was up.  Since then I had needed it for other infections and so has many people that I know, all with good results.  Another miracle drug is called a Z pack (I think) and it works great on infections. Just one pill a day I believe it was. It is in the sulfa family but not enough to cause me a allergic reaction.  Good Luck & happy Easter
I was prescribed this medication post-surgery for my rotator cuff (preventative measure?). After just a few doses, I had the same reaction of hives, itching, etc. I stopped taking the medication and kept the bottle to refer to when I'm asked what I'm allergic to.

Here's the weird part though... I take Duracef regularly for my skin condition, and Duracef is in the same drug family. I'd like to know if there could be some other ingredient in Cephalexin that is causing this mild allergic breakout.
My tongue is so swollen I can't speak properly, can't swallow, and can't breath well through my mouth.  It has bumps all over it and is even splitting down the center.  Tomorrow is Monday so am seeing doc. in the morning.  The doctor's exchange nurse was no help, she thought I kept saying toe and when someone else took the phone to tell her about it, she was telling a story about when she got poinson ivy...I don't itch anywhere and don't have poison ivy.  I hung up on the nurse.  Anyway, will update with what doc says tomorrow and what remedy is.
Mine is a fungal infection caused by the cephalexin and I still have a bacterial infection in my toes (which is why I was on ceph to begin with.) Anyway, I am now on Levaquin and a "Magic Mouthwash" of Benadryl, Malox, and Nystatin...mixed 1:1:1.  (equal parts.)
I took cephalexin for a UTI and the symptoms worsened. AFter 7 days, they put me on Nitrofurantoin -- it turns out I didn't need it because the urine culture showed no bacteria, but did the clinic bother to call and tell me that? NO! So I took a 10-day course of the latter needlessly. It's been just over a month, and I am still having weird UTI-like symptoms, but numerous cultures have shown I'm bacteria-free. I have vaginal/pelvic pain, a feeling of burning near the urethra, cramping. I'm wondering if I had an allergic reaction to one or both of those meds? If ANYONE out there has experienced something similar, please respons! Thanks
Why would I have to take antibotic (antibiotic) cephalexin for such a long period of time (20 days) for sinus infection??
cephalexin may cause rash if you take it for pharyngitis caused by mono (mononucleosis, that usually presents with fatigue, pharyngitis, swollen glands).
i was taking cephalexin for a razor rash i had on my vulva, after i started to take it i began to break out in little red hives, they are on my thighs and on the flabby parts of my upper arms does cephalexin cause rashes if your allergic?
I had eczema on 2 fingers. dr. gave me keflex, now i have an itchy red bumpy rash on my entire body. now im going to try Erythoromycin. for the eczema or rash? maybe both? lets hope so.
I took cephalexin for a skin disorder and after the second capsule my neck got swollen and sore and I couldn't swallow.  I rushed to the hospital and they diagnosed me with cellulitis and they treated me with other anti-biotics.  Has anyone else had a similar reaction?
My wife cut her foot badly about 6 months ago. She was put on cephalexin and late into her course of the antibiotics she started having the small red bumps and generalised itching all over her body. Dr gave her a cortisone shot that took it away for a couple days. Itching came back a couple days later and keeps occurring on and off every couple days. She event went through allergy testing and a full blood panel to look at thyroid etc. Now six months later family Dr says it is probably from that course of cephalexin she took 6 mos ago! He says it could last up to two years!!! How can this be possible. I can't believe any trace of that drug or its side effects could possibly stay with your body for two years!???? HELP!!!
I took keflex the end of aug. 2008. It has ruined my life. I have been going to many drs. It gave me vaginititis, gastritis and problems with my intestines. Now i am having nerve problems and many other problems. Drs. don't have a clue how to help me. Everyday is hard to get thru. Now to hear it will take up to two years. God help us. I i to had all those test and there are a few areas of concern but not all of those are systems are related to the keflex.I have not had any of my problems until i took the keflex. Please be careful with this drug.
On 3 separate occasions I have experienced a mysterious itchy rash, starting as red bumps (mostly on my side torso but also on my legs and arms).  On all 3 occasions the rash started around a week or more after finishing a course of cephalexin.  The rash stayed for several weeks (to several months in one case) and full bloods were taken and I was allergy tested for everything obvious.  The only link between the rashes was the cephalexin.  The rash responded to oral steroid medication but came back as soon as the steroids were stopped.
I hope all of you taking antibiotics are taking a quality pro-biotic (good bacteria) for months after finishing your course. Your stomach and intestines have just been stripped. Your intestines are 85% of your immune system and your idiot doctors have just killed your immune system. Research it and start now with your pro-biotic. I can guarantee your rashes will go away once your system is back in balance. Everyone should be on a daily pro-biotic for three months and at least 2 days a week after that for the rest of your life. My kids have NEVER had a stomach virus in school or been on Antibiotics because of this. Shoot we don't even need a Dr. Please research it.
omg i cut my foot and needed stitches the doc put me on keflex cephalexin 500mg around the 11 day of taking 3 a day along with inner heath plus i noticed my hands feet and ears came really really itch like itchy and pins and needles at the same time it feels really bad and uncomptable, would anyone know how long this will take to go away, it happens to me about twice a day!

please somebody help!
I had a allergic reaction to grapefruit 7mo ago while pregnant w my daughter  who is 5mo old now. It scared me to death now im scared to take any meds or try anything new!! I have bad infec in my throat an my dr gave me cephlalexin(liquid cause i cant swallow pills) yesterday but im scared. What are the chnces of my throat swelling up w this????
So in late June I started with this weird throat infection and I have been on 5 rounds of antibiotics, though the cultures and blood came back normal and they have no idea what it is. On top of that, I have had a staph UTI since August that I have taken 4 rounds of antibiotics for and it won't go away! I went to the doctor's last week and got on Bactrim, but after I took it I started feeling pins and needles in my face and my whole body itched a little bit. It was very uncomfortable and it lasted for two days even after I stopped the medication. Now I don't know what to do. All of the antibiotics I have been on have been different, but none of them are working and my stomach is so messed up. Luckily I haven't had throat symptoms in 2 weeks, but I'm still scared to say I'm better and my kidneys hurt really bad from this UTI. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow so she can put me on yet another antibiotic, but I have serious doubts that it will work. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do next or has anyone been through something similar. I just want to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.
I went on cephalexin one week ago for infection in stitches in my foot after bunion/hammertoe surgery.
All was well until Sunday evening when I began itching.  I've itched uncontrollably for the past two days, even though I stopped the medication Sunday evening.  Last night it was very bad at 11:30pm.  I went online and found that taking a Benadryl (antihistamine) could help.  I did and it did!  It is bearable today.
However the medication has messed up my stomach so I can hardly stand the smell of food, caused heartburn and made me pee bright orange.  That I can tolerate, but I'm also turning orange.
Surely this will wear off within a day or so, won't it?  
This is one more medication I will have to put on my "allergic to" list!  
about a week and a half ago i got impetigo on my chin.  this is typically caused by a strep infection, so i also had a fever, swollen lymph nodes, and some cold-like symptoms.  my doctor prescribed me with cephalexin/keflex (500mg, 4x a day) to get rid of the step bacteria and an ointment to get rid of the impetigo.  the ointment got rid of the impetigo fairly quickly, but i still wasn't feel very well and i had a continuous cough.  i have been on this antibiotic for exactly a week.  last night, i started to notice red spots up and down my arms and a little bit on my thighs.  i woke up around 6 this morning completely covered in this rash, which had gotten a ton worse over night, and it itches terribly.  i went to the doctor's at 10am and he told me it wasn't an allergic reaction, because those look more like hives and they would've appeared right when i started taking the antibiotic.  he gave me claritin to help get rid of the itching.  he said it is probably a viral infection, but he sent me to get a blood test for mono down at the hospital just in case, because this is how mono reacts to antibiotics.  my blood test results still haven't come back, but my rash has gotten worse and more itchy.  my face is even all red and a little swollen, and i can't imagine going out in public anytime soon.  i stopped taking the antibiotic after last night and haven't taken it at all today.
it scares me when i read that other people who have taken cephalexin have gotten a rash about a week after they started taking it, especially the ones who say it lasted weeks or months.  i cannot imagine dealing with this for more than a day or two.
Hi everyone!
I was prescribed with Keflex (cephalexin) against UTI. It cured cystitis immediately (I alarmed very on early stage) but now I have an oval spot of rush (tiny bumps) on the right part of my back. Its not itchy but painful. It feels like the skin is tearing apart there.
Disgusting!
Before I didnt have allergy on anything.
i went to the doctor  about a month ago for a high fever and nausea and other symptoms. he prescribed me 500mg keflex. i took it and i got better. but now i have the same itchy bumpy rash all of you do. let me just say, this does suck, but its a million times better then what i though i had. thank god for this website. i was about to freak out:)
I was given Cephalexin when i caught Chickenpox off my Daughter a few years ago, I'm an Asthmatic and it went straight to my chest as Chickenpox Pneumonia, the emergency doctor was called out one night as I was so ill and he gave me a shot of Cephalexin by injection and then left.  Within 20 minutes I was being rushed to hospital as I couldn't breath and my neck, tongue, face, hands, feet were badly swollen. I was told I have a deadly allergy to it and a 90% chance of death if administered it again.!!!
my husband was prescribed Keflex 250mg after a re occuring kidney infection. He had 9 tablets out of the 28 and he has severe sore ankles, and feet he can't walk without it hurting.
The GP has told him to stop taking Keflex and see what happens, he stopped taking them 4 days ago and he still has pain in his feet and ankles
surely an antiobiotic should not do this?
I'm worried about him
I was taking cephalexin for 7 days for a infection on my leg on the 7th day it felt like pens and needles were sticking me in my back.  When I went to the doctor they didn't think it was the antibiotics they gave me some steroids for the icthing and it did nothing.  I'm on day four with this pain my chest and back have hives everywhere.  Yesterday I told a dr, about the medrol dose pack and it seems to be doing better then anything else I've took.  Its a six day pack so time will tell.  I've never felt anything so irratating and unbearable I will let you all know the outcome of this pill pack.  Has anyone else used this pack?
i was on cephalaxin over a week ago for chest infection always had omoxalyin no side effects but doc said i had to have these,up to 2 days of finishing the coause i started itching then the itching got worse never had an alergie in my life.6 days on still itching but easers with eurax and calamine lotioni dont have a rash but itching everywere and sore,dont know how long this is going to last,mine isnt so bad if i relax.i was given steroids 5mg twice a day but so many sie effects i wont take them am i being stupid.
Last week I went to the clinic and was referred to a skin specialist for a infection on my hand from dry skin. I was advised to take Cephalexin 500mg with Clobetasol cream. I probably should have researched enough before taking Cephalexin. The cream solved the issue within 2-3 days, but I started developing severe rash on my body-due to the Cephalexin, and still have it. Now I am on Steroid tablets, and other cortisone cream-to be applied all over my body to get rid of the crazy itch. I havent slept in 3 days due to the itching. Please no one in your right sense-take this medication. (I have never been allergic to any medication so far, including any antibiotic, and so didnt suspect anything).
I had a little cut underneath my fingernail (index finger - right hand) which got infected and became quite irritating .
i went to the medical centre and because my family dr wasnt working i just saw any dr who prescribed me cephalexin 500mg, and dettol cream to rub on after 18hours of taking both the cut has become increasingly and progressively worse with itchy /painful bumps appearing on the side of my finger and two large bumps which are extremely painful to touch on either side of my fingerprint .

point being:F#$K CEPHALEXIN - NEVER AGAIN !!
Just wanted to add my voice to this thread... I went through a 7-day round of Keflex a few weeks back.  Five days after I finished, I noticed red spots on my inner biceps and the sides of my torso.  Over the next couple days the rash worsened on my arms and sides and appeared on my legs, chest, and back as well.  Not very itchy, no fever symptoms to go along with it.  It's now 8 days since the rash appeared and it is pretty much all gone, thankfully.  I've never had an episode like that.  To my knowledge I've never had Keflex either.  Unlike Myke577 above I don't have multiple examples to confirm it, but it did seem curiously timed with the Keflex and my dermatologist said it looked like the type of rash that could be an antibiotic reaction.
I took my 6 year old son to the hospital for strep throat they gave him Cephalexin 2 doses for 10 days and the day after he was done with the medication he developed a rash small red bumps on his arms and thighs then the next day it was worse and now day 3 with rash and getting worse the dr told me to just give him Benadryl, but no avail he keeps wanting to hide his arms and stuff so no one will see. I will never again allow him to take that medication again.
Wow. I'm glad I read this thread. I'm on day 3 of taking a 7 day course of Keflex 250mg (cephalexin) for a cellulitis infection in my ankle, and my entire chest, neck and now my FACE had broken out in a bumpy, red, hivey mess. I recently changed my face moisturiser so I wasn't sure if the symptoms were an anitibiotic allergic reaction, or a new skin care product reaction. I think I now know which one to blame...
I was given Cephalexin 500mg a couple of weeks ago for a swollen gland. After a few days of taking the meds, I noticed tiny dull-red bumps on my sides and abdomen. They didn't itch, really. Unfortunately, in a few days, the bumps were appearing on my upper legs. These ones itched! The ones on my stomach are still there. :(  I quit taking the Cephalexin about half-way through the course. That was about a week ago. The bumps are still multiplying. When they show up in a new place, they itch like crazy. Then, not so much. Today I'm just being tortured by them they itch so darned much. Some days they are redder and some days they are barely there. Some days they're bumpier, and some days they're small. They get redder after a hot shower.
This has to be a reaction to the meds. There simply isn't anything else that I've changed or introduced besides the Cephalexin. I've never had this before, that's for sure. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet. Going to get an appointment tomorrow.
No other symptoms. I'm feeling fine otherwise. I think I'll go for a walk.
I have been on Keflex for exactly 24 hrs for strep and I have developed small red bumps all over my neck arms and part of my shoulders. I am wondering what I should do about it?
Took Keflex / Cephalexin for 7 days after a minor elective surgery and I too developed a minor rash.

- about 5 days in i started getting an itchiness on my left buttocks / hip area, but nothing was visible. I thought it was a bug bite.
- on the 7th day it was a full rash, with light red bumps

It was only on a 7-day cycle. I've stopped taking the Cephalexin and it is going away. My sister is a doctor and recommended taking Bendryl to lessen the allergy effects.

Kind of annoying, but not too bad.
on eighth day of cephalexin I broke out in hives all over my torso.  Can't stop itching!  Had I known this was a side effect, I would have never taken it.  Nowhere on the list of possible side effects was this listed, yet I can see on here that it is a major one!
I was prescribed Keflex 500mg.4x day for a post surgical infection...after day 3,broke out with a terrible hive like rash on my face and neck. Dr. put me on a Medrol dosepack...that made it better, but rift after I finished the steroids...the rash is back and even worse. Any suggestions?????
...also is affecting my kidneys and I feel like I can't get a good breath in.  Rash is on face, neck, and arms.
my daughter (16) has had recurrent tonsilitis that is antibiotic resistant.  a couple days ago she was prescribed keflex for it in the ER.  about 24 hours after starting it she broke out in red, extremely itchy rash on her face, arms and torso.  Also her tongue swelled up, her pierced tongue got infected, her gums swelled (her invisalign don't fit anymore), her throat hurts and feels like it is swelling, and she got lots of kanker sores and cold sores.  even though she is taking benedryl and steroids, the reaction keeps getting worse.  went back to the ER and they are just having her take the benedryl and wait it out... been a couple days now and still getting worse... glad I read this but scared as to how long it is going to last!
i was given a script for keflex and only took about 5 in 3 days and everything was fine but then took 1 about 4 weeks later and i itched every were and took a shower and i could feel my tongue swelling and then in my face and lips and it got harder to breath and then i could feel my hands and arms swelling. it was hard to try to talk to someone. someone called 911 and got me to the hospital and they got all the swelling down and they told me not to take it again and i wont.
I was taking Keflex (Cephalexin) as a precautionary measure after the removal of a Bartholin Cyst.  The indications were 1 pill per day (500 mgs).  After the 5th day of taking this antibiotic I woke up with a terrible itch around my neck.  I immediately went to the Pharmacy and bought Benadryl thinking it was a reaction to something I ate.  The next morning I woke up worse.  I took myself to the urgent care, they said it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic.  They gave me Prednisone for the swelling and anti-itch medication in a pill form.  I have taken the medication religiously and I have only gotten worse.  I've gone to the Urgent Care twice and the ER once.  They treat me with Predisone shots and Benadryl intravenously and I get better for a few hours but the rash comes right back.  After reading all of these posts I'm convinced that I'm having a reaction to the Keflex.  I refused to believe it because I've never been allergic to any medication or an antibiotic.  I don't wish for anyone to go through what I am experiencing.  My body and face are covered in hives and the itch is terrible.  Please research Keflex if it is prescribed to you or even ask for something else, the side effects of this antibiotic are no joke!
If you are experiencing this and are looking for relief to the itch, the only thing that has helped me is ice.  I keep ice packs on my hives for about 20 minutes and the swelling and itching go down for a few hours.  I hope I don't have to deal with this much longer as it is the worse thing I have ever experienced!
I am posting this as a follow up to my post 3 days ago.  It has been a week exactly since I stopped taking the Keflex.  While my hives are gone and I'm no longer swollen, I still have red markings on my skin and it's still very itchy.  I also have bruises where the hives once were.  My chests still tightens when the Benadryl wears off and I feel myself gasping for air (very similar to a mild asthma attack).  I have been taking Predisone & Benadryl for seven days.  Other than the hives being gone, I don't feel much of an improvement.  The doctor's have told me that this is just a waiting game basically.  Relief will only come with time.
i m suffering form serious itching on my whole body from 2 years, doctors give me medicine (cetirizine) it helps only 2 days and after that it again come and make my whole day and night disturbed. so please help me to free me from this dangerous disease.
the symptoms are like if itching on my any part of body there is red and like little little on every where swelling.
so please advice me as soon as possible.
Thank goodness I found this thread, thankyou so much. I was prescribed Keflex a few weeks ago for a sinus infection. After completingthe course the doctor recommended a second course. As soon as I started the second course of Keflex i broke out in tiny red itchy lumps on  my fingers, palms, inner thighs, feet and legs. As they appeared they would itch like crazy, drove me insane. I was able to get some relief from antihistaimenes (spelling??) After visting two doctors i was diagnosed by one with Hand, foot and mouth and another dermatitis!!! As soon as I stopped taking the Keflex the itching stopped and the rash started to dissapear. It was then I found this thread and realised I'd had a reaction to the Keflex...
Was on AntitbotIc some years agO and end up get an outer yeast Infection on my creaSing of my upper legs it was all red and irritated Couldn't sleep tRyed everyThing to see if it would help and nothiNg was working a few. Months. Later still had. It and eNd. Up going to th ER. To FiNd. Out What was wRong so I was toLd what it was. GivEn a pill to take. Only once and cream to get rid. Of the irritation it took a while but it cleared up. Talk about a pain in the ***. It drove Me nuts.the Medication. I was. Taking whEn it happen KEFlEX that's the crapy meds to take whEn siCk  
Okay, so everyone has had a rash /itching with Keflex, so how do we get better if we keep taking antibiotics.  I agree with the post of taking probiotics to put good bacteria back in the intestines to combat the bad bacteria taking over.  Has anyone found relief and if so, kindly share.
I was on Keflex (500mg 2 a day for 30 days) for psoriasis. I had been on it several times before for psoriasis and a basal cell skin cancer operation. This time I had a bad headache for 21 days and finally went to emergency, stopping the cephalexin several days before. They gave me Vicodin and said I had symptoms of meningitus, either viral, or bacterial. They did a spinal tap to check for bacterial. It was negative, but said it may still be viral. They sent me home. Then I took one more Keflex and developed a severe back ache, started itching terribly all over, and difficulty breathing. A week after first visit to ER I went back to ER for this. They said I had allergic reaction to cephalexin and gave me a shot of benadril and told me to buy some over the counter to take till itching stops. My GP Doc said cephalexin can cause headache, and after reaction there was a 25% chance of being allergic to penicillin's also. My GP also said "A spinal tap can cause backache".
I was suffering with serverely bad breath so my doctor prescribed Doxycycline. My bad breath cleared up but at the end of the 2nd week of taking the drug I started to see a cluster of spots on my neck. I assumed it was hormonal as I was due on my period and carried on taking the drug. It was only two days later that I realised it was in fact a rash that was on my face and chest. I only had one day left out of a fourteen day prescription but I stopped taking it after realising it was an allergic reaction to Doxycycline. It's been nearly a week and the rash still hasn't gone and it itches from time to time but I'm yet to contact my doctor. Any advice?
My wife gave birth to our son a week ago. She underwent surgery post birth and was given a course of cephalexin. Within 24 hrs she broke out in a small cold sore like blister / itchy rash on her wrist. We thought it was an allergic reaction to the medi tape used in that area but 5 days later the rash is spreading and her itchiness is unbearable. Having googled allergic reactions to cephalexin we found this link and perhaps this is the answer. She's now stopped taking the antibiotics but can anyone give line of sight on how long it will take for the rash to subside?

I hope your wife is feeling better.  Everyone is different and how quickly she heals is based on the severity of the allergy and how quickly her body can rid itself completely of the allergen.  Even though I only took 5 doses of the Cephalexin (Keflex), my allergy lasted nearly 3 weeks.  The first 10 days were unbearable and I didn’t think I would ever overcome it, the milder symptoms lasted for an additional 10 days.    
I hope her's doesn't take nearly as long to recover from!  
On Day 8 of a 10 day course I started itching and immediately stopped taking the antibiotic and took Claritin during the day and Benedryl at night. They were moderately effective.

On day 9, I developed a rash and was prescribed Hydroxyyzine, which is more effective at reducing the itch and also seems to make the rash less visible.

On day 11, the rash is still present and may even be spreading. I will continue to track and report.
I've read the many comments here as they are not only extremely similar, but are exact descriptions of what I was going to say about my own personal experience with Keflex.  Has anyone received feedback to know how to remedy or stop the reaction?  From the comments posted here, it seems doctors don't really know what to do about it.
HOW LONG, HOW LONG, pins and needles, itchy, little red bumps.  I already fight back thoughts of just ending all my problems the wrong way.  What makes me mad now my pain managment doctor would have or hear nothing of the stupid keflex doing this to me.  Kept on insisting it has to be the dilaudid in my pain medicine pump in me.  And dm it that doctor is a three hour drive one way and $100 in fuel away from me.  Being on dissability.  That is A LOT of MONEY!  So frustrated and scared!!  was on 500mg every 8 hours.  Took 11 pills plus 3 viles they gave me in my I.V. set up while in post opp after having my pain med. pump changed out inside of me.  Fighting back all these side affects, bad back pains, sever depression frustrations.  Stop taking med yesterday.  But after reading all these posts.  Feels like it will never go away and can get worse yet.  ANY HELP?????? Please    I am freaking out here and having hard time fighting back the bad scary thoughts
After I posted my last comments, I had a discussion with my daughter who suggested I try Black Soap on my skin to see if there would be any improvement in the rash I had resulting from the Keflex.  I lathered the soap and washed everything from head to toe.  There was a very mild burning on my skin, however not enought to say ouch.  After a few days I noticed that the tiny bumps were not as raised as before.  Today, the bumps on my neck are completely gone.  The bumps on my face are almost gone.  I hope this information helps someone out there.  Feel free to reply to discuss further or if you have any questions.
Cephalexin has ruined my life.  I took it two months ago for a UTI.  They gave me cephalexin because I am currently nursing and they said it was perfectly safe for my baby.   It gave my son horrible diarrhea for over a month, but thankfully he has recovered.  About a week after I stopped taking it I developed the sensation of a lump in my throat and heartburn.  Now I also have stomach cramps, indigestion, and diarrhea - 2 months later!  I'm sure it was the cephalexin as I never had any problems before I took it.  Please research this drug before taking it!!
WOW! what a nightmare after reading the above threads. I was given cephalexin 500 mg x 2 for a nagging dry peeling skin above my upper lip. Doctor said it was a bacterial infection considering it wouldn't go away with a mild steriod cream. I was given 20 capsules for 10 days. I took 7 days without a problem along with a probiotic. I missed 1 day, took 1 pill the following day without a probiotic. The followowing day my arms started itching. I noticed pimples, and from there to my chest and around my neck. I went to the doctor, he said it was a reaction to the cephalexin, stop taking them. Itching is mild, controlled with steroid cream, it will definately spread is you start scratching. I'm trying Benadryl and remember to keep your hands washed. For this too shall past...
Everything I have read here is nearly identical to my experience after taking a course of Cephalexin. The rash developed the day after I finished taking it. The rash first appeared as small red, lumpy pimple like dots all over my arms and chest. I went to my GP a day later and she suggested I take some common antihystimines. I have done this for the last 6 days and there has been no improvement. In fact it has got worse and has now spread to my legs. The rash on my arms was not itchy at first but I am now experiencing a mild itch and many of the red pimples/lumps are now quite scaley and feel almost like sunburn. The rash on my legs is still just a mass of red pimple like dots. I am very worried after reading all these posts as none of them have indicated a successful treatment/cure. If any of you have had any success please let me know!!!  
Hi how long did it take for the rash to subside and for you to feel better.. Please let me know.. Thanks,
whoever took cephalaxin in a capsual form could be having some problems if u swallowed the capsual u have to let it disolve in 2 tablespoon of water then drink then puut water back in cup and swish round and drink it do not swallow the capsual
Allopathic medicine is only useful in emergency rooms. Allopathic doctors seldom know their heads from a hole in the wall, the things they are taught are half true and very few have the mind to actually learn much from experience. A fungal inoculation is what causes the lasting effects the people here are describing, and that can be cleaned best with natural medicine such as alliultra and silver 100 which can be found at http://nutrimedical.com/ (and no i dont work for them). By the way those two products will also work better than most antibiotics on earth to cure (yes CURE - kiss my grits FDA) most ailments. The truth is that nature based medicine is far far more powerful and benevolent than allopathic medicine ever will be except in invasive emergency procedures when it is the lesser of two evils. People will 'bah humbug' what i just said, especially doctors but you try it, when your doctor has failed for the tenth time you try it, and then when it works like a charm you come back and sing it from the rooftops. it is time to end the medical monopoly tyranny that is killing more aAmericans than any other cause. Wake up and get healthy, for real.
It can be herpes, and if it's not then use povidone-iodine vaginal suppositories!
It wipes out every possible harming germs, bacteria, viruses, micro organism...
I'm adding my allergic interactions to this column because I think people should know that this is still going on ... I had a dog bite, was taking Cephalaxin 500mg 2/day as a preventative.  

By the second night my face began to itch, but I thought it was just dry skin.  I instinctively lowered my intake to only once a day and the itchiness got better.  

Last night I the right side of my throat started to hurt, so I thought I'd do some research on allergic reactions to Cephalaxin ... Boy am I glad I did!

I won't be taking anymore of this, and I will get some probiotics today.  Great advice from mentioned this, thank you.

I have never had an allergic reaction to any medication before this ... I think they're using us as lab rats, what's wrong with amoxycillan?  
Today I went to the ER for severe pain in my lower right shin with swelling and redness. I could barely walk. They hooked me to an IV and injected me with dulaudid (sp) for the pain. Took 5 viles of blood and sent me for an ultasound to check for blood clots. The results came back with no clots and they diagnosed me with cellulitus. They gave me a prescription for Keflex and vicodin and had me take 1 Keflex capsule and 2 vicoin and wheeled me out of the hospital all the way to my car. My friend and I stopped at a favorite restaurant after the hospital and ordered onion rings as an app and each a burger. By the time the burgers came, I said, "my lips are tingly and my tongue feels weird, are they swollen?" She said yes, I limped to the bathroom and couldn't belive what my lips looked like. Waitress packed up our food and back the ER I went. They rushed me right into the ER, hooked me up to many monitors, started IV with Benedryl followed by steroid breathing treatments and then put on oxygen. My BP went up to 186/81. Two hours later, they released me with a different prescription for antibiotics, I can't remember the name but it starts with an "L". Of course, by this time all the pharmacies in town are closed so I will have to drive back to town in the morning to fill the scrips. Welcome to Hawaii living!! NOT!
Have been dying of intense itching since tuesday.. A whole week now.. I Finished taking 4 capsules of keflex daily for two weeks for a UTI roughly around the same time the intense itching began. It began mildly during the course in my scalp and legs .. Tried a medicated shampoo thinking i had scalp issues.. And extra moisturiser for my legs. Once i finished the course the scalp became even more intense and my back and torso and legs got very itchy small bumps. I Thought possibly from sand fly bites but the itch did not go away or flea bites but as my partner is not suffering and in the same bed I did some research and sore antibiotics as a link.. Remembering i had just finished a course of keflex i immediately googled it and came across this feed. Arghhhhh!!! I feel silly for putting up with the itch for so long thinking the bites would disappear but now i see it is a reaction or imbalance. Have just taken 4 probiotics in one night and a lot of yoghurt .. If there is a major improvement with that alone I will post and update but will also head to the chemist tomorrow morning for a cream. I Will probably visit the chemist instead of the doctors because docs really have no clue I have found. If it wasnt for my mum teaching me about probiotics I would have NO idea as stupid doctors dont care to mention it or even on a side note any ways to stop getting UTIs.. So quick to just hand out antibiotics instead of also trying to help you not get one again. Also Scary to hear the itch comes back even after you take the steroids/antihistamine .. Hopefully the probiotics work magic and im itch/rash free because i can not handle this for much longer. Oh and showers do not help at all makes it so much worse!! Nasty stuff :(
I woke up hour ago itching badly and got ahold of a cream for poison oak and in tears got  into the bath tub and with very warm water rubbed and scrubbed this stuff, its gritty and intended to remove the poison oak oil. I have a terrible sore on my leg looks like poison oak, doctors thinks a spider bite, he says go to emergency you need an IV antibiotic to make sure it doesn't go systemic and looks like some celulitis may be developing. They didn't do a culture in Er and put me on Cephalaxin, 3x500 a day,  i knew something was wrong because hair follicles at my stomach and groin area where I shave were swollen and red. I cut back a neighbors yard 1 week earlier and there was lots of poison oak, but I wore long pants and gloves an d a eye mask and was very careful not to touch tools etc without gloves and cleaning.Even if I got a few spots on my arms there is no way to explain all over my legs and then showing up more and more. First thing I did, can't think of anything I ate or new except this dam antibiotic. I am going for a vigorous detox, probiotics and colon cleansing and going to research where this antibiotic may store itself to have such long term effects. Some medicines get accumulated in body fat etc and don't
dissolve or get eliminated readily. One thing is sure if you have raised hair follicles red like ingrown hair infected and it itches and its a lot of them, its an allergy inside your blood system..I hope all of you remedy your crisis.
Freddie