Allergic reaction to meds or face wash?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Allergic reaction to meds or face wash?

HI,

Just wondering, I've seemed to have a horrible allergic reaction to either Neutrogena face wash OR Rosasol (perscription for Rosacea). So bad in fact that I needed to go to the emergency room yesterday morning. My skin, from my chin to my eye brows is burning, red, itchy and my face has swelled like crazy, especially around my eyes. So, my question is this...

I was just RX Rosasol last week, used it all last week with no problems. I also ran out of my normal Neutrogena face wash, went to buy some more. They didn't have any, so I bought Neutrogena Deep Pore wash. The day after using Neutrogena (Tues morning), my face started reacting. Now, about 4 months ago, I had used an Avon product (Deep cleansing) and my face did almost the same thing, without the swelling). The common ingredient is Salicylic Acid! I'm sure to avoid those ingredients in the future.

So, now I'm on Prednisone, Benadryl and not using any creams, RX or otherwise. My eyes still haven't come down from the heavy swelling (my left eye was almost swelled shut). Skin is still burning and very tight.

Was wondering if I'm maybe mistaken about the cleansing products causing this reaction or if it's the Rosasol? (I had been on Metronidazole a few years ago, with no problems... same ingredient as Rosasol) Should I also be wary of taking aspirin now, since that's a salicylic acid as well?

Oh well, just hoping the swelling goes down fast and the itching/burning subsides fast... my face hurts!

thanks for reading this  

Lisa
I have very sensitive skin and am on loritate (metro-cream) for rosacea. I get the same type of reaction to almost all cleaning agents for the face. I also have seborrheic dermatitis flare ups. I can only use a very mild cleanser called Purpose by Johnson & Johnson. I think that I've tried almost every cleanser out there only to give it to my sisters as they don't have skin problems. The deep cleansers are the worst and never try a mint mask, I can't remember what company put it out. Also, I thought the newer pads with soap in them would be great, I felth like I had been scrubbed with sand paper, then sunburned badly-which sounds like what you have explained. Try washing with just plain h2o for a few days then you may see it is the wash. Best of luck and totally feel for you.tmv
HI tmv

Thanks for your reply.  My face, thankfully, is almost back to normal now. (it's almost a week since it began).
The only thing now is my face is peeling... not in a sunburn kind of way, but in a dry skin way.  So, I guess it was probably burned by the cleanser I had used.  

I'll look for that cleanser you mentioned.  So far, I've only been using plain, clear water on my skin.. I'm afraid to use anything else.

You know, I'm 39 years old, and so frustrated with having skin problems... I'm sure all adults with adult acne or rosacea feel the same way. I  would love just one month/week/day with absolutely beautiful skin. My 15 yr old daughter has that beautiful skin... (I hate to say it, but I'm jealous. LOL)  I think she's had all but 2 pimples ever!  

Sorry for ranting on... lol   I just don't have any friends with the same skin concerns as I have.  Sometimes it feels good to just growl about my skin.  LOL  ok, I'm laughing at myself now for just typing on and on!  

Thanks again tmv........... it was great to read your post ;)

Take care,
Lisa
Oh yeah, I almost forgot but you probably already know to never try microderm abrasion, whew it's awful too.  Your welcome, I know that I'm the only one in my family and no friends with the same thing. So I do a lot of trial and error. My problems started when I was about 32 (now 36). I always heard your body starts to fall apart after your thirties, but I didn't realize it does it all at one time!LOL!  Anyhow, the peeling will ease up. It's like a chemical burn, 1st degree. I used plain h2o as well for about a year or so. Take care and God Bless. tmv
I used a face care product,that made my skin look very good, unto the point people would stop me and ask me what I used on my face. Well the maker of the face cream, made a new inproved verion and guess what? I run out and got it. well I uesed the product for 2 weeks .when my face my face kept getting darker and darker. I thought that well maybe I was not drinking enough water.but then I started to turn a yellow green color, then a gray brown color.well yes I then figered out that it was my face cream so i stopped useing it. It has been a week now and Iam no longer yellow green or dark brown but Iam still not my normal color so I was wondering just how long does it take to clear up after somthing like this?
I just used a cream and face wash with Salicylic acid in it two days ago.  My skin began itching and burning yesterday...and I couldn't help it, I scratched it and scratched it! Then I got home and washed my face with a different cleanser that my husband uses....it too had Salicylic acid in it!  My face is now slightly swollen and red, my pores are huge, and my skin feel like leather.  Also, I think I might have gotten some on my lips, because my lips are feeling funny now!!  The worst part of all of this is TOMORROW IS MY BIRTHDAY! We are all going out, and I look like a puffy, red, leather face!  What can I do????????  I washed my face with a hand wash with cocobutter in it, and I have put on tons of lotion to moisturize....but I still look and feel NASTY!  
I am sooooo glad to read these posts. I used the Neutrogena Acne kit and had no real isses. The first couple of days it was a little rough on my skin, but I adjusted the amounts I used and it was fine. So I ran out of the cleanser and I still had plenty of the other products from the kit left so I bought similar Neutrogena face cleanser (thinking it was about the same). Well... my face and neck broke out in tiny little bumps and it feels like sunburn alsmost. My skin is rough as if it is really really dry. I got it on my lips a little and they are super dry.. my initial thought was I wasnt drinking enough water. I am going to try to use baby oil to remove my makeup and use dove or a different gentle soap on my face until this clears up. Even the lotion that comes with the Acne Kit is not touching the dry rash on my face!
I too have had the same issues with different face washes.  I have tried SO many, and they all leave my skin burning, red and feeling tight except Purpose by Johnson and Johnson.  The other day, I was out of my regular face wash and washed my face with Neutrogena (it said dermatologist recommended) and I now have the worst case of allergic dermatitis I have EVER had.  My face burns so bad, it feels like its going to fall off!  My face and eye were so swollen, too! I've switched back to my Purpose face wash, but my face is still red and burning.  The swelling in my eye has gone down considerably, though.  I feel for all of you who are suffering with this problem.  It's good to know I'm not the only one.  :(
I used a dermalogica medibac skin clearing face wash 2 days ago, as i had a few spots on my chin and i had recived the wash as a sample when i purchased a conceler online, I used the wash once in the moring and again in the evening and when i woke up yesterday my eyes were swollen, my face was bright red, boiling hot, itchy and like sandpaper with little yellow blisters.. I was mortified and i washed my face in my regular clinique cleaner and used my regular clinique moisterizer and took an allergy pill. My face is still the same today, my eyes are puffy and im actually in so much discomfort, my face is sore and looks burnt.. please help im scared it wont go, iv always sufferd with my skin, i had acne when i was 15 im now 20 & i went through alot to get rid of it & im now so scared this is gonna ruin my skin.
Your situation seems similar to mine except I used a Burt's Bees face moisturizer and I've been battling this allergic skin reaction since mid October 2009!  At this point I've seen a total of 3 dermatologist, have been in prednisone for almost 2 1/2 months, and have been instructed to use a number of prescription cortisoids (high to low strength) and over the counter moisturizers.  I finally had to go to a dermatologist that specializes in rare skin disorders and I'm in the middle of being "skin tested" for a little over 100 chemical substances just to try to figure out what I'm allergic (and reacting) to.  This last dermatologist seems to think that I'm having a "reaction of a reaction of a reaction..." to one or more of the multiple prescription and non-prescription dugs/creams I've been putting on my face for the last 2 months.  Based on my experience, my best advice to you would be to: (1) stop using all the creams/soaps you're currently using on your face (whether they are new or you have used in the past with no problems) as they may compound the problem; (2) just use water to wash your face; and (3) follow-up with a dermatologist as soon as possible for appropriate treatment. Good luck!      
I am having the same problem with the red burning. I stopped taking my bc pills and starting breaking out like I was 14 again! I went and bought the clinique acne wash set with moisturizer and face wash, acne cream and toner. I used it all but the lotion until today and thats when I turned into a miserable lobster on my face and neck.
I usually use the mild clinique cleanser set and havent had a problem with that. Its hypoallergenic and is reccommended.
I feel so relieved i'm not the only one! thank you all!   i recently switched to neutrogena oil free acne wash.
I have never had a reaction to facewash before and i woke up three days ago with my face so swollen i could barely open my eyes and this itchy rash consisting of tiny little bumps all over my face and under my chin! I've taken claratine and phernergen but it hasn't helped, face is getting worse with the dryness now causing really painful crack on the side of my nose and lips.  Because i live 80klms offshore i'm finding it hard to get a hold of anything else that helps.... did using a moisturiser help anyone else???? Or has anyone got any other remedies.. what makes it worse is i'm going to the mainland for my hens night in two days and am really not looking forward to going out with my face looking like a someone has punched me!!!!  Any advice?
my face is an absolute mess after using dermalogica medibac kit for 2days, ive completely broken out, my skin feels like grit on my chin and upper lip, its completely red everywhere, ive been holding ice cubes to my skin to try and calm it, i dont know what to put on it? aloe vera gel? E45? nothing? what happened with yours?? hope your feeling better! xx
Four days ago, I began using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (containing Salicylic Acid) at the suggestion of an esthetician.  The cleanser caused a slight stinging/burning sensation, but I didn't think much of it....until this morning.  I woke up to swollen, irritated eyes, with puffiness under my eyes and all around the eye lids.  It's enough to be very uncomfortable and make me feel frightened.  My husband thinks I should go to the emergency room.  I'm thankful I found this site and to read about other similar experiences with Neutrogena/Salicylic Acid.  My skin is so irritated and rough feeling now, but I'm mostly concerned about my eyes.  If I'm no better tomorrow, I will definitely seek medical help.  No more Salicylic Acid for me!
Wow, I wish I had stumbled across this site 10 years ago. I ended up with a chemical burn (or so I diagnosed myself) when I was 18, same story as many of you, never had any problems with face washes and all of a sudden I couldn't use anything I had used before. It itched, it burned, I would dig my finger nails into my skin trying to make it stop, it peeled, I wanted to rip my face off. I don't remember any swelling though.

I skipped the going to the dermatologist and found a solution myself that may or may not help any of you. I have found St. Ives Apricot Scrub works for me, I haven't had any chemical issues. I also couldn't use a moisturizer, did the same thing to my skin, so I have found that if I rub a little Cortaid cream (generic didn't work, but I tried because it's much cheaper) on instead then I am good to go. Occasionally if I run out I can use a moisturizer for a few days but eventually start to feel that irritating burn again and as soon as I put the Cortaid cream on, I'm good to go.

Also I found that MaryKay's new line called TimeWise for sensitive skin was ok too. Good luck to all.
I was using Arbonne's face cleanser and cream (age-fighting) and it was great...ran out, didn't want to wait for shipping, and so I bought this ZIA brand face wash and cream. It didn't hit me right away, but about two weeks after I started using it, my upper lip began to feel chapped. Then, two weeks ago on a Sunday, my left earlobe itched like mad. I washed my face and ear with the ZIA brand stuff and went to bed. The next morning, I woke to an itchy red patch on my right hand and the left side of my face & neck were going red, itchy, and bumpy. I freaked out, thinking scabies or herpes or smallpox and started googling all this stuff. Thankfully, it turned out just to be an allergic reaction and my mug is almost back to normal after being red, bumpy, itchy, and somewhat swollen. Just have my nose left to stop bothering me. I bought some Aveeno cleanser and face lotion in the meantime, but I'm definitely going back to the Arbonne stuff. It's a little expensive, but worth it.

To the person who keeps going to a dermatologist, if you haven't already done so, get to a Naturopathic Dr. as fast as you can. That's next on my list, but they can do hair samples and such to find out what's REALLY going on from the inside out. Good luck to everyone!
So glad I found this site as I no longer feel like the only person going through this hell.  My first allergic reaction started in 2005 when I was suffreing from a slight :) hangover and my little cousin kindly gave me a kooltherm headache strip for my forehead.  I kept it on whilst I slept for about two hours, probably too long but didn't think at the time.  Anyway, that evening my skin on my forehead felt a bit tingly but I thought nothing of it as I'd never had any reactions to anything.  I traveled home the next day (Sunday) and a slight redness had started on my forehead.  The next day when I woke for work my entire face had broke out in small red itchy spots which proceeded to travel down around my face throughout the day,it was so inflamed I couldn't go to work and went to Doctors panicking like crazy as I'd no clue what was happening.  Was gave an allergy tablet and advised to put nothing on my face, no make-up, cleansers, moisturisers (which was the worst part as my face was itching like mad and so dry) for a week, the allergy tablets and lack of product did clear it up.  The spots did stay around my hairline and I noticed that my shampoo was menthol, which was a major ingredient in the headache strip.  Stopped using it and I had no trouble since.  Until Oct last year when I went off the pill.  It wasn't until a few months off the pill and after drinking pure peppermint tea that my face took a complete reaction and broke out again, just after Xmas I think. First reaction since 2005 and it hasn't really completely went down since.  I took allergy tablets straight away which helped.  I've stopped taking pepermint tea and only use products I'm familiar with on my face however I do use neutrogena moisturiser, after reading some of the posts re the neutrogena facial cleanser I'm going to stop this and see what happens, I've been using it for years though?  Can anyone recommend a good oil free moisturiser that might suit my skin to replace it?  l also went to doctors a few months after the reaction happened as it was still faintly present and threatening to flare up at any minute.  I've been on oxytetrycline (not sure of spelling) for a month now and it's only getting worse, going to ask to be refered to an allergy specialist this week to see what they say.

Hey,
My name is Brianna. I used Neutrogena before because i thought i had bad acne and it would help. My face was swollen the next day for over a week. So here it is over a year later and i decided that since my acne is getting worse i will order some proactiv. But when i used the proactiv, my face was swelling over night. i was waking up almost every hour because my face is itching and i was trying not to scratch it. Does anyone know what this is? so that i can give my doctor more information because the doctors around here does not have any idea what this is? somebody help!!
I also used dermalogica medibac cleanser & had a severe reaction. This is the 1st time i have had such a reaction to a skincare product. I am allergic to all permanent hair colours & now realise i will need to test any new skin products as well. My face blew up red swollen itchy antihistamines were not working i ended up at the doctor who gave me some solone a corticosteroid used to treat cancer patients. I am quite worried now as have heard that reactions only get worse with each additional exposure. I suspect that it was the salicylic acid that did the damage. I have been using md formulations for several months with no problems however monthly breakouts were starting to bug me so thought i would try something new for updating adult acne. Does anyone know a good skincare product for adult acne slight breakouts that is gentle & does not contain salicylic acid?
I too used the Dermalogica Medibac for 2 days and had such an allergic reaction I thought my skin was gonna look burnt forever, It was swollen sore, itchy and felt like sandpaper.  When I contacted Dermalogica in South Africa they make as if im the onl one that had a reaction to this product.....!  So glad I found this website
Hey all, i used the Neutrogena face wipes last night and when i woke up this morning i went into utter and complete panic! oh my goodness! i looked like a balloon made up of bumpy leather! My entire face eyes as well, swelled up like crazy, burning, itchy, sore, bumpy flaky, dry - the works!!!! i was in tears!
I went into a local clinic who prescribed me Claratyne, it worked beautifully! although my skin is still a little bumpy, the swelling went down dramatically and it hasnt even been 12 hours! I've never had any allergies, i've used face washes from many brands and never had a problem, Neutrogena seems to be a common cause of this problem! Needless to say those wipes ended up in the bin! i washed my face with Palmers Cocoa butters new face range, it's beautiful stuff! smells lovely and is so nice and gentle! So this along with Clarantyne (check with your doctor first though) is a fantastic pair!
I just used Neutrogena 14 Day Skin Rescue Friday evening, Saturday morning, and Saturday evening.  Sunday morning I woke up to find huge itchy, red, blotchy areas on my face.  One eye is almost swollen shut, and the other is slightly swollen.

I've been through this years ago with a cleanser, and learned how to clear it up quickly:

1.  Wash only with water until your skin starts to heal.
2.  Use Vaseline or mineral oil as much as possible.  They are the only two things that will protect your skin on the outside while it heals on the inside.  

Any other moisturizers contain chemicals that will cause further reactions and mess up your skin's oil balance.

I also take two antihistamines to stop the itching:
1.  An H1 inhibitor like Benadryl, Zyrtec, Tavist, Claritin, etc.
2.  An H2 inhibitor like Prilosec, Zantac, etc.
I like the Tavist + Prilosec the best.  Tavist is a 12-hr pill, and Prilosec is 24 hrs.  The longer the pills last, the less you will itch overall, and the more you will heal.

You'll be amazed at how the itching stops, and you will be able to sleep without scratching/rubbing and making it worse.

If the itching is really bad, also use some peppermint oil mixed with mineral oil on your face.  (Lie back when you have it on).  It will keep the itch away for up to 4 hours without doing any harm to your already irritated skin.

I've been to doctors and dermatologists, and nobody could figure out what to do.  I did some research, and learned all of the above out of desperation.  Later, the docs asked how I healed myself, and when I told them, they took notes! :):)

Good luck!
I had the same reaction to the neutrogena new grapefruit wash and scrub... woke up with little bumps all over my face, a sunburnt feeling, dry, red and swollen eyes... I returned it right away and bought purpose...which has always been a gentle cleanser for my face.  UGH!
i had the exact same reaction with dermalogica medibac! used it the past 2 days and my eyes are almost swollen shut, my pores are huge and i have a horrible rash especially on my cheeks and lips. it hurts so much i can't even get an antihistamine cream on it. i work in a hospital and the doctors i work with have just said to use boiled cooled water ONLY on my skin for next few days and to not touch it at all. i have NEVER reacted to a product before, ever!! this hurts so much and i can't believe dermalogica haven't been forced to take it off the market. i really recommend that anyone who has this type of reaction writes to dermalogica.
Hi, I just used the clearasil deep pore face wash about two days ago. My skin is a mess!! I work in a a luxury boutique hotel in which I apply make up every day to my face and not with all the make up in the world can I look any bit decent. I am dying and feel like crying as I type this right now... I am going nuts.. my face is itchy, bumby, swollen and red .. I have to apply foundation for work to cover it up and it is making it even worse!! ladies this is so unfair!! :(((
I too used the Neutrogena Deep Clean facial cleanser.  I remembered using it before and having the same red, itchy, and blotchy reaction.  This time burning and flaming pain, eyes swollen and puffy.  I am searching for a mild facial cleanser simply to remove my make up in the evenings and moisturize my skin.  Prescriptives has discontinued their line, which is a major bummer.  The Aloe facial cleanser was perfect, gentle, and always had people asking me what I used for my skin.  I have not found a good replacement yet, and I am so disappointed that Neutrogena products have this many people experiencing these problems.  I am 36 and simply want to maintain healthy skin.  I will no longer using Neutrogena, nor will I refer it to others.  I have been washing my face with the Este Lauder Moisture Gentle Face Cleanser for Dry skin even though my skin is oily.  It is dry now due to the Neutrogena.  It appears to be soothing the pain, but use very small amounts.  I do cold compresses and use the Johnson and Johnson baby oil gel (shea and cocoa butter) after washing.  I was able to sleep through he night with no problems, but putting on make up for work during the day is a challenge.  Everything huts...
I've been using St Ives Apricot face wash!! $10 approximately. I have half a bottle and have had it for about 3 months. i found this to be fantastic, I'm honestly so happy. The product most gently exfoliates your skin, i accidentally used it on my face when i was sun burnt but not even then did it irritate it one bit. It also fights blemishes well. Whenever you have the occasional breakout i personally found that it clears it up a lot faster than most products that i've used. If you need more attention you can purchase St Ives apricot facial SCRUB (same price as the wash) which is a more thorough exfoliator and you only need to use it 0nce or twice a week
I use Biore toner (green tall thin cylinder shaped bottle) and i can't praise this combination enough. Biore is fantastic at removing make up. I apply it on a cotton bud and wipe my make up off if I'm in a rush or if i'm cheating my way out of washing my face after a big night. (lazy i know). I only ever use vitamin e capsule as a moisturizer by piercing it and applying it on my face before bed. It has healed the few long term scars i've had.
It does take time (between i'd give it a minimum 4 weeks) before the changes are visible, but it doesn't leave your skin oily, it fights wrinkles, soothes sunburn, moisturizes during the winter, and it is so cheap!!! $6 for a bottle with 60 capsules. One capsule lasts me a week because you literally need a drop (it is most effective when you use a tiny amount as it can be difficult for your skin to absorb if you apply too much).
I'm sticking with this forever! I've done so much google-ing reading and research. I had a bad breakout due to digestion problems so it all came out onto my skin. All these products cost me approximately $30 in total and it lasts for ages.
Strongly suggest it!! i hope you will be as happy as i am!
Oh and the scrub smells so yum :)
I am SO glad I found this!! I was burned by Burt's Bees Rosewater and Glycerin Facial Toner. Sunday night i used it and it stung right away but most toners do that at first so i didn't think anything of it. Monday it was just really dry and a little red, same on tuesday, but then tuesday night/wednesday morning it started getting a little red and kind of burning but tolerable-a little concerning, then yesterday it was really BURNING like my face was on fire. I used it because it says it is specifically for sensitive skin, but it BURNED my face! I felt like my face was on fire and it was so red and painful I went to the walk-in clinic because I didn't know what to do. Now my face is so dry it feels like leather and is flaking off and peeling. It's so dry I feel like it's made me look like I've aged 10 years! It makes me feel so gross and ugly. I've been using Hydrocortizone ointment and Benadryl per the doctor I saw. It's taking time to go away, and I wish it would just go away immediately! I'm a waitress and presentation in that business is everything, so I have to put foundation on when I go to work, which of course makes things a little worse. Ugh, so frustrated I could cry, but I have to stop myself because when I cry of course my face burns!
OMG!! so i've been dealing with dermatitis on my face for almost a year. i suffer from psoriasis and the Dr told me it was common for P patients to get dermatitis on the face. i'm glad I found this site!! i began thinking back on what could have started this, and i think it was the neutrogena face wipes. i use the makeup remover ones in the purple package. not positive that's the cause but i'm pretty sure. after reading all these posts well...
i recently purchased the origins products. i'm hoping that will help my face. for now i'll just use the cleanser.
I have had this same problem I used stridex pore cleasing pads on my face and woke up with what looked like chemical burns on my cheek bones under my eyes....my skin is extremely dry now in that area and I have tried many face creams but now wake up with the same reaction as the stridex red swollen ichy patches under my eyes I look like a zombie ready for halloween! I was wondering if maybe the stridex reacted with my ponds makeup romoving clothes but now last night i used ponds face cream that is hypoallergenic for sensitive skin adn here i sti looking like a zombie with ichy swollen skin this is crazy!! I need help!!
Benzol Peroxide - thats what is causing the hot, itchy, swelling - from all those products you mention above, they all have it - The acne line from Dermalogica, Proactiv's main ingredient is Benzol Peroxide.. .and for me... I used a cream called: Benzac, it was 2% active ingredient benzol peroxide. I had never been allergic to anything in my life, and i used this cream one day to get rid of one pimple,  because the girls at school (back in year 10 in the year 2000) were all using it and getting beautiful skin. I used it, and within a day my skin was perfect - so i used it everyday as per the directions. At night my skin was a little itchy, and then day 5 I woke up with the shock of my life - full swollen face, even the inside of my mouth and tongue were swollen. It took a week of topical application of cortisone cream to get it back down - I didn't want to even apply that to my face as it was super sensitive to touch. I was mortified. My skin has never been the same since. I actually had great skin before using this product, and ever since I've had sensitive skin and now I'm struggling with massive rosacea problems. I attribute it all back to this one ingredient = benzol peroxide. It should only be used by those with serious acne, and with a doctors prescription - not over the counter or sold by beauticians.. its just too powerful, and for someone like me, its heartbreaking to think I've never had an allergy and now my skin is permanently reactive and flares up. Please everyone, read the ingredients - see Benzol Peroxide and say FAR AWAY!!!
My derm recommended I use benzoil peroxide 5-10% and leave it on my neck and shoulders for 20 minutes and then rinse off.......well I got hive or some kind of rash......now trying to clear it up.....darn
I have never had an allergic reaction per se, however, I've dealt with terrible reactions to different products before. I remember using this medicine in junior high that literally made my skin peel off - yikes! What I recommend to everyone is to first, see a dermatologist if you can. They know your skin best. My second recommendation is to never use a cosmetic wash. I used Clinique for awhile and when my dermatologist found out, he was livid. If at all possible, try and find something natural, for very sensitive skin. Clinique made my skin really tight and dry. Just remember your face is really delicate - don't use products that will ravage it. If you have sensitive skin, don't buy anything with an exfoliant or beads. That will hurt like hell. Also, make sure the medication you're on is right for you. I've been on a number of meds since junior high and it took awhile, but I finally found the perfect medication that keeps my face pristine. Best of luck to everyone!
Aveeno cleanser has been fine for my sensitive skin (while the Alba Algae Scrub I borrowed at my sister's house last weekend has sent my face into a rage!). Mild cream that dermatologists recommend: CeraVe, can use on face or body. Purpose moisturizer is mild and usually harmless.
I recently purchased the Neutrogena® Oil Free Acne Wash pink grapefruit foaming scrub thinking that it would help with my recent acne breakout. The breakout usually happens near my period and I thought it could be from the heat of summer days producing more oily skin resulting in pimples galore.

I wash my face throughly that night and woke up with itchy, tingling, bumpy red skin like leather. My right eye is swollen from lid to the cheeks. Left eye slightly swollen. Skin feel tight and uncomfortable. Peeling crusty skin on certain areas. Completely throwing the balance of my once good skin off.

I never had problems with the products I use on my face but the salicylic acid is so strong in their products that they should put a defined warning label.

Warm/Cold compress did not work. Taking advil did not work. Finally I went and got Aveeno® Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser and use it with the Positively Radiant Moisturizer. It seems to calm my skin and slowly help the swelling of the eyes go down.

In my 30's and should not have to deal with acne at this age!
Hi guys,

I have my Advance Diploma of Beauty Therapy and work at a skin clinic during the week. It is very worrisome to hear so many stories where you have had bad reactions as looking after your skin should be relaxing, indulgent and calming.

I came across this page doing some home research and I have some general advice, or am more than willing to help anyone who comments or if you live in Melbourne can even come and visit me in salon!

Firstly, salicylic acid is not the bad guy! It is an amazing ingredient that requires NO allergy to aspirin to be used. Nobody who has an allergy to aspirin should even consider it as the breakdown on the skin and in the body are nearly identical.

If you DONT have an allergy to aspirin and choose to use salicylic, you MUST prep your skin for it. It isnt something that can go on a damaged or dehydrated skin without healing the acid mantle first. There are gentler things you can use on your skin to give you that clean, soft, exfoliated feeling without jumping on the big guns. These include very mild glycolics or my personal favourite is enzymes. Enzymes are naturally found in the body but fruit enzymes, specifically from papaya and pineapple are used to gently eat away that dead skin like little pac-men! If after all of this you choose to use salicylic, be careful. It needs to be slowly introduced to your routine and the skin must be strong before it.

Secondly, PLEASE dont use neutrogena, proactive, clinique or clean and clear on your skin! The ingredients are so similar to dishwashing detergent its crazy!! They may work for some people, I havent met any, however they strip the skin of all its natural oils and this is NOT a good thing. EVERY skin requires good oils to hydrate and soothe it. I dont mean you should pour vegetable oil over your face but to use a face wash the strips the oils, a toner that removes and remaining oils and an oil free moisturiser is a recipe for premature aging and a very very damaged skin barrier. The skin will become so sensitive that nothing can touch the face without getting this histemine-like reaction of rednes, itching and hives. An oil free moisturiser is ok if accompanied with a good creme cleanser or vice versa, an oil free wash with a good quality moisturiser. Please do not starve yourself of good oils or sometimes, the skin will say "i desperately need oil" and you will actually break out worse! This is the body way of giving itself that ever-important oil which IS required.

Thirdly, benzyl peroxide is a VERY active ingredient. The reason you can search "hate Proactiv" and find more than a million hits on google is because Benzyl Peroxide is the number 1 active ingredient. It is a TREATMENT ingredient, when used in VERY small amounts can help remove pustular breakouts. It is only ok when applied with a cotton bud on an active pimple (no open skin) once a day for 2-3 days and then ceased! It is VERY drying and if used in a facewash everyday will actually strip the skin and can cause sensitisation, dermatitus and even psoriasis. Please be VERY careful when using this ingredient, I cannot stess that enough.

Lastly, if there is one thing you take from my much longer than intended spiel, it is that your skin is a LIVING organism and you must treat it as such. Care for it, it will from time to time get stressed, it will age, it requires relaxation, keep its muscles and strength up and work towards having the best skin you can have. Everyone has the potential to have wonderful clear skin, you just need the right ingredients and the right advice to help you there!

BeautyGirl xoxo
Wondering if any of you can help me. I am 53, have never had any problems with my skin at all until about 7 days ago. I started with a slight itch all over my face, and has progressed to a full blown rash. No lumps or bumps. Just bright red, itchy, burning, tingly.
The only relief I get is when Im asleep. Im awake at around 3 and cannot get back to sleep because of it. I have tried antihistimines and am now on predisone but this isnt helping at all either. This is driving me crazy. I dont go anywhere because my face looks so red. I dont know what has caused it. I havent tried anything new.. Im just at a loss and it doesnt look like its going away..I put this om a seperate post but have had no replies,, Please help.. Im desparate!!!
I had the same experience.  I have used many products in the past but never had a reaction until I used the Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit scrub.  I used it a day and a half and that was all it took.  My face started itching basically all over except my forehead and then rash began on my neck and chin area.  It was horrible, I stayed up the whole night researching since I could not sleep.  I put the Johnson oil gel, vaseline and took some Benadryl and it barely made any difference.  It has been 4 days and I am still feeling the effects.  I purchased some Cortaid the next day which took the burning away, now my face has the white flaky skin in those areas, I have to use vaseline because it is like snake skin (I NEVER use vaseline on my face, it is thick but when I put it on my skin it actually absorbs it).

I love the smell of this product but definitely will stay away from it.   It actually is stronger then it advertises and I don't have sensitive skin.
Reading all these i think I am allergic to the salicylic acid. I bought the Clinique face wash 3-step with the acne healing solutions, but the acne healing solutions contains salicylic acid. My chin has broke out in pimples/or little red bumps and i really think it is from that. What should I do to get rid of it?? I want it to go away. Will taking Benadryl help?
or I have a prescription for Triamcolone for atopic dermatitis would that help?
Should i not use the face wash either i dont know if that irritating my skin also?
Please help!
A26
i have used many face washes, and they all seem to make my face red, and bumpy. ive used proactiv, clean and clear, spectro jel, and currently using nutrogena. but its just getting worse!! my family has bad acne. and im worried that my face will breakout just as bad! any tips on what to use?!
I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who has gone through some serious trials trying to get my face cleared up. I had great skin all through high school, but once I turned 20.... WHAM! I'm hit with Acne like crazy! Its been nine years of hating looking in the mirror, and wishing I could figure out what was different from high school. I have tried everything possible to clear up my face.

Thanks to a friend of mine, I have now found what I consider my "holy grail" for my face. I now use the Artistry Essentials set that I get from a website my friend gave me (It has a cleanser, toner and moisturizer). The stuff amazing!! It doesn't strip your skin of all the natural oils that we're supposed to have (like just about every other product I've found and tried) Nor does it feel like it super over scrubs my face. (someone once said something to me about over-scrubbing can make things worse than they actually are... too bad I didn't listen way back then!)

From what I understand, it's just meant to gently cleanse your skin, rather than beat it up trying to kill the nasty zits all over the place. Somehow, it works! I told a different friend about it (she had the same problem) and it works for her too! I'm all about this stuff, and will never ever switch (unless they change something). And apparently it even has a "love it or return it" money back guarantee type plan that lasts 6 months. When I heard that is when I figured, what the heck, if I hate it, I can get my money back...

For those in need... the website my friend gave me is "www.livehealthy.mychoices.biz".

And she even told me this is the same stuff Miss America uses. Ha! Crazy. I'm just glad my face isn't a crazy wreck anymore!

Good luck everyone! I hope this helps you like it did me!
I have been having a similar reaction to the same product. My doctor put me on Prednisone once and then it came back again. I was beginning to think I would have this forever. Had the same puffy watery eyes and burning on my upper lip. Never thought it might be my cleanser. No wonder I found it half price at the drug store. If any others are reading this-DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! I have lovely skin but was getting small bumps on the side of my face and thought this would clear things up. Threw the damn stuff in the garbage. Read on this site that many others have had trouble with the same product. Why is it still on the shelves??????? Anyway, I will use only water until it clears up and will go to a dermatologist for my bumps problem. Hope your problem has cleared up as well!
hello all, seems mostly females wanna talk about this but it happens to us males too...wake up with puffy eye, or red and blotchy skin like an acne breakout gone made....skin ailments....blessed are those born without them, hehe...i think mine are mainly food related, some kind of chemical in junk food or nut bars,or too much sugar..why is it the things that taste the best are the worst for u.

Mousey
Glad I found you all! I have yet to figure out what exactly my face is allergic to, but this dry cracking leather face thing is ridiculous. I first experienced it in the beginning of summer and refused to leave the house for a week! The only thing that seemed to remedy it was cucumber. Fresh cucumbers, sliced thin and soaked in water are a miracle worker. Not only did I lay down with the cucumbers on my face, I dipped paper towels in the cucumber water and dabbed my face with them all day, everywhere I went, AND slept with the wet paper towels and cucumbers on my face. Unfortunately this awful skin reaction has reappeared in the last couple of days and I still don't know whats causing it. Even steam when I'm in the shower irritates it. It was so bad I rubbed petroleum jelly into my skin to soothe it, and while it did soothe it I know that it is too heavy, and clogs my pores. Maybe I can get someone to go to the store for me and grab some cucumbers. So far its the only thing that works!
I've recently had somewhat of this problem as well. I have been using Acne Free for 6 months and just ran out of the toner (of the 3 step system...) So I thought I would just substitute witch hazel. Well, I ended up breaking out, but I thought it was Fifths disease. When it finally cleared up (I had gone to my parent's house for the weekend, and didn't bring my acne free with me....) I washed my face at home, and broke out again about 12 hours later. I thought it was just the hot shower bringing the rash back out. I've broken out 2 more times this week, both after using Acne Free, without the witch hazel (pitched it because it had expired back in April.. oops!) I'm not sure why now I'm having a reaction, if there is something in the toner that kept me from having a reaction before or what. But my face is hot, red, rashy, and very very itchy! It takes almost 48 hours for it to go away. I've got 5 children so, imagine that.I only wash my face when I shower, and if I'm lucky I get a shower every 2-3 days. So just when it was going away, I'd go use Acne Free again! I also was avoiding a shower a bit because I thought that was bringing the rash out.... now that I *think* I know what it is, I'm going to stop using Acne Free. I started using it because I have rosacea. But my rosacea isn't half as bad as this rash!
Help freaking out I always have clear skin use make up daily but wash it off. Well three days ago I notice little bumps. Still wash put make up over them next day red and ichy and dry. Today irritated look like heat bumps. Hurts really bad what is the quickest way to get rid of this problem. It's like okay they are in a process of getting bigger Help........
My skin face was fairly normal (nothwitstanding some dryness around the nose) and not allergic to anything. However lately, all hell broke loose: itchy skin, red blotches started appearing. Pretty ugly. And then, my eyes reacting terribly to something. Symptoms were big red circles around the eyes, irritated, watery and itchy eyes. Miraculously, the problems started to disappear. I took my guard down and made the mistake of using Aveeno cream to moisten skin around above my eyes. It caused the same  reaction to my eyes described above. Now I don't know what to do but I definitely will not be using any moisturizer as I don't know if any will work
I've been using Proactiv for 2 weeks and it cleared up the majority of my blemishes. I was so pleased with the product because it was the only thing that ever seemed to work. Then one day, i got out of the shower and noticed my cheeks were turning redish. I didn't think much of it and just went to sleep. The next day, i woke up and my face was glowing red, swelling and itchy as ever. I've been icing it which seems to help with the swelling. I've also been taking Benadryl. My face has been like this for 3 days now and i am going on vacation in 3 days!! I really need my skin to go back to normal. Does anyone know how long it will take for my face to get better? PLEASE HELP.
On Saturday I used a aveeno clear complextion foaming cleanser and the next day I woke up and my eyes were puffy and I have a complete red face it's almost Christmas ! I haven't put any makeup on for 3 days now my face is EXTREAMLY dry  and I'm not getting any sleep because I'm in pain I have been taking bendryl and pain meds but nothing works all I have been doing is keep in a cold cloth on my face. Do you have any tips for speeding up the healing process by Christmas 4 days away???
Niky321 - no matter what dont put any steroid creams like Cortisone cream on your face. Whilst it will improve the skin, it can make it permanently sensitive.

The pain is horrible, I know it well - see my post April 24/2011. The pain is like a chemical burn, hot, itchy and everything in the air makes your skin itchy.

Get yourself to the GP and see if they can give you some tablets, rather than something topical to apply. Emergency backup for Christmas I suggest powder mineral makeup that does not absorb into the skin, rather sits on top of it.

Also, throw out all cleansers that you may be tempted to use (even if its a full bottle) its frustrating to throw away something barely used. But once your skin becomes reactive to a certain ingredient - it will react faster next time you're exposed to it.

I've found tinted zincs are quite useful for neutral coverage, they aren't absorbed by the skin, and if you need more coverage - use the zinc as a base and then mineral powder on top.

My latest trial of products are the Nude by Nature tinted zincs - sold at Priceline and a few chemists. Plus try their powder compacts and bronzers. I'm using their foaming cleanser at the moment too, its not too bad - but its slightly drying. I think their mineral makeup line is better than their skincare line.
I am having similar reactions to those posted but to FOUNDATION, not to cleanser.  They stopped making the foundation compact makeup I used for years, and every single thing I have tried makes my skin feel like it's burning.  It doesn't look red or swollen, and there is no visible rash, but I have this constant burning sensation.  Do any of you who have experienced something similar have a foundation you can recommend?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.  MST
I too had normal, non-reactive skin and could use whatever face creams I wanted with no problems. In September this year my face reacted to something and I was getting red raised/bumpy itchy patches under my eyes and around my mouth. I wasn't sure what had caused it and the doctor gave me some steroid cream to use once a day and antibiotics and it went away. While on the anti bitotics I also started using E45 to try an eliminate what had caused the reaction (day cream/night cream/eye cream/etc.). I liked it and so carrried on using it as a face cream for about three months.

I was speaking to a pharmacist who said you shouldn't use E45 on your face everyday because it contains lanolin but I now can't go back to using my normal face cream (Nivea Q10) as I get red, swollen, itchy skin around my eyes and then spreading to the rest of my face and neck. I also tried Simple and that causes a similar reaction, it lasted over Christmas and New Years - not fun!

Has anyone else had this reaction to prolonged use of E45 then trying to use their original/different face cream?
Ive had the same problem worth my skin the only difference is that my skin has been burning around my cheek and chin areas and our does not look our feel good it looks as if i grew a beard and shaved it off..... I think that it comes from using different skin care products especially if you were using just one for awhile stick to hust one cleanser and if u do decide to switch wait for a few days then start using yoir new cleanser... But for now be easy on the skin and gentle until it clears itself we are humans and our sjin will heal itself i woukd also try using cold washclothes and Neosporin to help the burn..... God blessed.
Hi I just had a facial today and now the area under my eyes is red,burning, sore and dry.  Not sure what happened the rest of my face is ok. Does anyone have any advise on what happened and what I can use to ease the redness and pain. Thanks.
It has to be the salicylic acid because the same thing is happening to my face..my skin is actually ROUGH and bumpy.  And SO dry.  I just started to use Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit cacial cleanser and this is what the result is!  I am definitely going back to my Aveeno!
I used Neutrogena pink grapefruit facial wash, twice. DON’T USE THIS. My face has broken out in tiny white spots on my forehead and chin. It feels like sand. I’m sorry I don’t know how to make this facial reaction any better, just to warn you. I’m going to try Vaseline.
I have also used the Neutrogena face mask products until I realized that strange rosacea on my skin probably had to do with the fact that it had acetylsalicylic acid in it and haven´t used them since. Unfortunately, I still have about three containers of them.... but I´m glad that the rosacea wasn´t due to a more serious/strange condition other than an allergy. Isn´t it possible that it´s not an allergy, and that it´s just the sun hitting the acid that creates the burn? I live in the tropics and can always get sun exposure.
Sometimes I went ahead and used the neutrogena, just as long as I didn´t have any outdoor trips planned on the weekend.
I too believe it is the salicylic acid in face wash. I used Neutrogena anti-acne a few years ago and had the red burning puffy eyes that turned dry and itchy for about a week. I used antihistamines, cold packs and tea bags but they didn't really help. I went to doctor and he gave me cortisone tablets (not sure if that helped either). Two days ago I tried the Avon black head eliminating cleanser, (contains 2% salicylic acid) and now my eyes and every wrinkle on my face is red, puffy and burning with the skin on the rest of my face feeling like 'leather'. I just tried  Bepanthen Cream (nappy rash cream) around my eyes and so far feels like it has cooled the skin. I feel for all you lovely people who this has happened to as well. It's uncomfortable and embarrassing.
i cant believe im sat here in shock reading everyones comments.
I recently bought Neutrogena Visibly clear 2-in-1 wash/mask.
i used it for about a week with no problems,it felt nice to start off with, then two nights ago a broke out in A spot, I then used the mask,
In the morning i woke up to find both my eyes swollen and red, eyes feels so tight and that spot has gone huge.and painful.
my partner just keeps saying its a spot, but my face looks disfigured.
As the spot is next to my eyebrow, i had a hair growing out of it,and i plucked it out i thought that had something to do with the swelling, never thought it could of been the face wash, untill i read these comments.
I bought neutrogena 3 days ago, I used it on my face two days in a row and woke up yesterday with red itchy face with little white bumps around my mouth, I thought it would go away but today I woke up and it had spread all over my face. My face is swollen and so have my eye lids it is getting worse more litle white bumps spreading up my cheeks. I went to the chemist and they gave me some anti histamines and some cream that should soothe my face. They said No makeup or hot showers as if irritates your face more. I hope my face gets better, I look disfigured from this product it should not be on the shelves of shops!
I found a loreal face cream under my sink and tried it.  My cheeks turned puffy red and are still dark after 5 weeks.  This company should get in trouuble for damaging skin.  Does anyone know how to get rid of these circles.  It seems to get better day by day.  Just using water and a gentle soap right now.
do not buy any loreal face products, they barely test them and are very rude on the phone!  My cheeks are still puffy and brown.  Hopefully it goes away over time.  Benedryl does not work, water and soap does not work hopefully time will work.  It has been 5 weeks
I am pretty sure my reaction may have been to a dermalogica product too.. not 100% sure, but I used 2 testers- one "calming facial serum" and one "anhydrous barrier" just the tiniest amounts, and my face has swollen up on my eyebrows, forehead and around my eyes- I look like I have been beaten and it is red in some patches. It happened a few hours after I put the stuff on while I was at work, and it is the next morning now and it is actually worse! I have never had anything on the face like this happen to me, I have no idea what is going on or how to make it go down before I have to go back to work. Also I don't know how to pinpoint for sure what I am reacting to, I don't want to try that cream again that is for sure. I took 2 zytrecs, and still my face just went nuts- I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't take anything. What the he?? should I do?
I have used Dermalogica products for a long time, but for my specific skin needs - I was given a sample of Dermalogica Multivitam thermafoliant:

Warning - it contains the devil!
Yep it has Salicylic Acid as an ingredient and I believe that after using this prouct only once - my face blew up, espeacialy around the eyes and cheeks with hives, pimples you name it - on fire, very tight and itchy not to mention  extremely alarming - I immediately took antihistame but with no effect. It has been 5 days since the onset. Whilst it has stabalized it has no sign of going away. Off to the Dr in the morning!

I have found organic Rose hip oil to be calming 1-2 drops gently applied to the face, bathing the face with soaked oats and also mashed up cucumber, (not all at the same time though!!)

Thank-you for all who have posted, it is very helpful.
I also found this link to be interesting for lovers of Dermalocica skin care:
http://www.****.com/reviews/details_Dermalogica_2.htm
I am also having an allergic reaction. I used Neutrogena On-the-Spot Treatment  (with benzoyl peroxide) ONE TIME, and in the morning my face was bright red, bumps all over, very itchy and painful, and it got progressively worse throughout the day. I am going to buy some aloe vera gel right now, and hopefully that will help.
I am having a reaction to what I assume is the Neutrogena oil free face wash.  I have had the break out where my eyes get all puffy, my skin turns red and gets very dry where it peals like a sunburn.  I have been having this issue every couple of months and finally realized that it happens after I get home from traveling and I keep that brand of face wash in my travel bag and use it when I am on the road.  I don't have the problem at home where I use cetaphel face wash.  I wear the same make up so know that isn't causing it.  I am going on day 4 now and my face is finally starting to get back to normal except with dry red skin.  My eyes had swelled shut and got really puffy with bags under them.  I am hoping that is the culprit, I can't figure out anything else that causes it.  
Hi everyone,

I am the original poster of this thread.  It's now 5 years later and I've still not been successful in clearing up my skin.  

Since the original reaction 5 yrs ago, I've had 2 more reactions, both worse than the first.  Eyes swollen shut that I had to have someone drive me to the emergency room, red, burning face, sand paper like feel to the skin, burning almost underneath the skin, tingling, etc.  One seemed to be from an Avon product and one from a cleanser with those little beads in it.

I was put on prednisone for these reactions, told to use witch hazel to soothe/cool the skin and avoid those products.  

I've basically been living with acne and redness all this time... well, really, since my teenage years.  I'll be 44 this month and having menopausal symptoms, which affect my skin as well!  Grrr... so frustrating.

So, I had forgotten that I had written this 5 years ago, and I was googling for "allergic reactions to face wash/meds" and then found my original post.  to my surprise, there are 68 replies from men and women like me who suffer from this.  I certainly don't feel alone, however, still perplexed over having acne well into my adult years.

The reason for my googling this is because I've signed up for clinical trials for rosacea with acne at my local dematologists' office.  I hopefully will be meeting him in the next week or so.  I was hoping to talk to him about previous reactions I've had so as to avoid similar problems with this trial.  

**I secretly can't wait to be done menopause as I've heard it dries up your skin and hopefully that'll work for my acne.... even though I'm hating the hot flashes. LOLOL

Lisa :)
Hello to everyone reading this,

I too have had a reaction to Neutrogena acne face wash. 2 days after I started using it my eyes swelled almost completely closed and my face broke out into a hot red rough rash. I also have never had an allergic reaction to any skin care so it was quite alarming. I was prescribed benadryl for the itching. It's been two days since the reaction and my skin is slowly returning to normal.
I am so grateful for finding this thread. I was beginning to really worry there was something else wrong with me.
I just went throught all that you explained by using cleansing product from Lancome.  My face was fine until I used their cleanser and toner.   My face burned alittle and I saw tiny red bumps immediately afer cleansing.  By morning it was a mess.  Tight, dry - tiny red bumps.  My friend told me that raw honey helps - so I put it straight on my face and slept with it on.  Next morning  it was 85% better - no buring but still alittle red and bumpy.  Stopped using and it healed fast.  Just used olive oil to cleanse and vitamin e cream.   A few days later I used my friends very mild 3 in one facial stuff!  Forget that too, It started burning right away and the bumps came back just all over my chin.  It was horrible - used the raw honey again!!!  Went to health store - she sugguested Thayers witch hazel with aloe vera astringent.  And this Evanhealy Rosehip Treatment Facial Oil.  Also at night this evanhealy whipped shay butter with olive leaf.  It has not burned looks and feels great.  Very cheap too compared to Lancome's products.  But the raw honey works wonders. Can't believe that Friday night I was a Mess and by Sunday night it is 100% better. I will always have this on hand - takes the burning immediately away.  Good Luck - hope this helped!
I think this has to be an allergy to salicylic acid, or at least the strength Neutrogena use. I recently started using their grapefruit scrub and oil free moisturiser, not did they manage to dry up my skin and actually cause it to peel off, but they have also left tiny, itchy skin coloured bumps all over my face. Some other are saying it could be the BP, but I don't use any of it.
Hello..i applied VLCC ACNE CARE(3 DAY ACNE CORRECTOR CLOVE AND MENTHOL)Tube for my pimple for past two days..after applying it felt burning and tingling sensation n the area is it due to the clove and menthol..even dat area turned too much red...sore..even bit painful..by gods grace allergy didnt spread too much to lips and eyes..me suffering for past 3days..one more point to b noted as even dat cream too contained salicylic acid..iam just too worried wht to do..me using clearasil face wash but dat too contains very small percentage f salicylic acid..but dats not affecting me..now my allergy have cured bit..even I wash my face vth ice water and even gave ice compresion its working grt for me....plz help me out
I have this right now.  I hope I am okay.
I fell victim to Salicylic Acid for the first time last week...

I have always had great skin, no acne issues or anything. I was using Aveeno Positively Radiant daily moisturizer for years with no issues. I ran out, and when I went to purchase more, I noticed the Aveeno Skin Clearing moisturizer (with salicylic acid) was on sale for $5, so I figured what the heck. About 2 days after I started using it, I noticed tiny itchy, red bumps along my jawline, but didn't think anything of it. The next day, my entire face was covered in these bumps, only they were more red and more itchy! My face felt like sandpaper.

Five days later and I'm almost back to normal. Here's what I did...

1. STOPPED using any products with salicylic acid
2. Washed my face with "SIMPLE" brand cleanser
3. Took a benadryl before bed
4. Didn't put ANYTHING on my face for 24 hours. No moisturizer, no makeup.
5. switched to "SIMPLE" brand daily moisturizer.

I would highly recommend "SIMPLE" brand skin products for anyone with sensitive skin - or anyone with any type of skin! It's got only the most natural and simple ingredients, with no harsh chemicals. They have an entire line with cleansing wipes, scrubs, etc. The best part - you can get it anywhere and it's very affordable. Cheaper than the Aveeno products that I was using before.

their website is: www.simpleskincare.com

I hope this helps you all!
OMG! I am so thankful for all of you!! I forgot to wash my face one morning with my normal face wash and remembered that I had the Neutrogena acne wash in my purse (one of the little bottles) and so i went to the restroom and washed my face and was fine but the next morning, like you all, I woke up with my face ichy and eyes swollen and these annoying bumps ALL OVER MY FACE! I was trying to figure out what it could be. Didn't eat anything new so ruled out food allergy. I have a pool and thought maybe the chlorine irritated it but found it weird that it was only on my face, chin and neck. Then today it dawned on me that I had used the Neutrogena face wash and so I googled it and it brought me here! So relieved. Going after work and buying the purpose face wash and praying it doesnt take forever for my skin's texture to return to normal. Going to be more careful of what I use on my face. Thank you so much for sharing your story. May God heal you quickly. :)
Okay I think I have gotten the same allergic reaction you had because after using Neutrogena Oil-free acne wash my face felt tight and whenever I sweat my face would burn and feel itchy did you feel this way?
I used a product with Benzol Peroxide. Had the worse allergic reaction, my whole face was and still is currently swollen, red itchy and flaky. 3 days ago i could not open my eyes my face was so swollen and when i look in the mirror it is horrible. The swelling has calmed down considerably but im so afraid that my skin will be blotchy or discolored after it has all healed. I have been given prednisone tablets which is really helping and i have also been given hydrocortisone cream which i have used 3 time but am really afraid to use it on my skin.
Does your skin heal after the allergic reaction? is there any lasting damage? redness, blotchy skin, discoloration etc
please help im so scared i have ruined my face
Just bought Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash on Monday used it Monday night . Woke up on Tuesday with slightly rd itching face, as the day went on it was getting hotter and itchier, at the same time I have the flu so wasnt sure if it was connect so i loaded on the sudocream thinking it would help. The sudocream is actually just soaking straight into my skin my skin is so dry and flakey. I wake up this morning which is now wednesdays my face is a like a ballon every inch of my tiny face is swollen and bright red my left eye is barley open its that swollen. I got Zodac off the pharmist their hopeing they are going to work I can not een go to work thats how bad I look.

I am scared I have ruined my face any tips or help on this one please.

Maria  
The same thing happened to me and WE NEED HELP PEOPLE!!! MY LAST DAY AT SCHOOL IS COMING UP ON MONDAY AND THE LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED IT STAYED FOR FIVED DAYS!!! D:
I just bought this new neutrogena stuff for my face which i have never used before and no my face is ichy and starting to get bumbs on my neck, and mi skin feels leathery, i don't know if its the face wash or the toner that i use afterwars, I just dont want my face to swell up, and i dont want to stop using this and get another breakout!
I had the same problem when I started using the Neutrogena facewash that includes 2% salicylic ACID, I used it for 2 days and I had the worst breakout ever of my life. I had small pimples all over my face with pus and doctor prescribed a  cream to apply, the cream made my face itch sooo badly and I would not take it and I was literally scratching, I literally threw the cream right in the bin and visited the doctor, this time he prescribed an anti biotic (Doxycycline) for 10 days and I washed my face with a herbal facewash and my horrible looking face was back to normal in 2 and a half days - 3. :) I am now a new girl, never to use CHEMICALS again.
I, too, have had hives after switching my facial toner to Neutrogena's alcohol free toner.  Once I stopped using it, things are clearing up.  Cortaid cream and/or Bacitracin helped.  I have found that Jason Age Renewal Vitamin E cream is a good moisturizer for me - no allergic reaction to it.  However, that said, allergies are unique to each individual.  If I have learned nothing else through my daily struggle with thyroid issues, it is that - everyone can be allergic to something, whether or not it's supposed to be "allergy free."  It's trial and error on everything in my life, and has been 2000% worse after a traumatic auto accident which affected my thyroid.  One of the most helpful things to me has been learning about NAET (search for it online).  Allergies can actually be treated easily thru NAET and that has helped me tremendously.  
I also used Neutrogena pink grapefruit wash.  What a disaster!  Only used it two times, and my left eye nearly swole shut, my face felt burned, and now a week later, my forehead and cheeks are still peeling in a gross, not-sunburned peeling way.  Stay away fr!