Alternatives for treating long-lasting redness?
About 9 months ago I had an excision of a dermatofibroma from my forehead.  The scar itself has healed nicely but the area around the excision site, about the size of a thumb's nail, has remained red and inflamed. Despite seeing a few doctors I'm still not quite sure what is causing it.
In any case, I've tried a few prescription topical medications for it.  Two of them, desonide cream and protopic, have worked quite well against the inflammation, but unfortunately only temporarily.  As soon as I've stopped using the medication, the skin returns to its previous red inflamed state within a few days (this has happened twice now with both desonide and protopic).  I am wary of using either medication for too prolonged of a time, and I'm curious if anyone can recommend an alternative anti-inflammatory topical treatment that's safer for longterm use.
Thanks so much!
It is very surprising that redness or this kind is present even after a long time after excision. This can be due to dermatitis skin or if there is any pain then the possibility of any infection is also there. If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. Avoid picking, harsh scrubbing, and abrasive treatments unless prescribed by a dermatologist during this period.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.