Dermatology Community
Alternatives for treating long-lasting redness?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Alternatives for treating long-lasting redness?

About 9 months ago I had an excision of a dermatofibroma from my forehead.  The scar itself has healed nicely but the area around the excision site, about the size of a thumb's nail, has remained red and inflamed. Despite seeing a few doctors I'm still not quite sure what is causing it.
In any case, I've tried a few prescription topical medications for it.  Two of them, desonide cream and protopic, have worked quite well against the inflammation, but unfortunately only temporarily.  As soon as I've stopped using the medication, the skin returns to its previous red inflamed state within a few days (this has happened twice now with both desonide and protopic).  I am wary of using either medication for too prolonged of a time, and I'm curious if anyone can recommend an alternative anti-inflammatory topical treatment that's safer for longterm use.
Thanks so much!