Anal Itch Relief!! My success and others!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I wanted to start this thread for people who have the dreaded anal itch, and if anyone has been able to provide themselves relief through either doctor recommended treatments or home remedies, please post them here so that others can benefit from it.  

I will start it off by explaining my problem and what I did to achieve total itch relief!!  (ahhhhhhhhhh)

First off, about me.  I realized I had hemorrhoids and possibly an anal fissure about a year ago.  I have not been to the doctor to confirm this, but it's obvious to me, and I know that my father has them.  Whether you have hemorrhoids or not, I think a lot of anal itching causes are related, and hopefully my remedy will help you too.  If these methods don't help you, you may need to buckle down and visit a doctor to rule out pinworms or a more serious fungus or STD.

I started out doing what most people do.  I tried Hydrocortisone cream and more than one type of Preparation H with very temporary results.  (You know... the creams that tell you that you should use them sparingly for only a few days, when you really want to squeeze half the tube up your anus if it will help.)  I also tried baby powder and corn starch, but they didn't help.  Then I started tirelessly searching the web for other methods and suggestions, and I found a few of them on this site.  The following are a collection suggestions I came across that worked great for me.  You may not need to do all of them, but I had great success.

Hygiene:
Wash the effected area with a hypoallergenic bar soap when you shower, and try to shower (at least your bottom half) after each bowel movement.  The fewer the ingredients in the soap the better.  No fragrances!  I think the one I got just has glycerin and vitamin E.  I use regular soap everywhere else, but ONLY the special soap for the privates.  Be gentle drying the area with a towel, and try to completely air dry your buttocks before putting clothes on.  A hair dryer helps if you're in a hurry.

Bowel Movements:
This may sound weird, but immediately before every bowel movement, I put a decent amount of vaseline on and just inside my anus.  This not only makes the movement easier (who'd have thought?), but it is supposed to protect the skin from excess fecal contact.  It also makes wiping MUCH easier!  And the less wiping the less irritation.  Then, I try to use toilet paper as little as possible.  I use it for the first wipe to get the bulk of the fecal matter off, and then I dab with it at the end to dry, but for the rest of the wiping I use moistened baby wipes.  I used to use the Wet Ones brand and then some other type, but then I discovered I SHOULD NOT use them because they usually contain alcohol and fragrances and they also use chlorine to whiten them, all of which can irritate sensitive skin!  I then found some hypoallergenic wipes that are far superior.  I use the 365 (Whole Foods) brand, but there is also the "Seventh Generation" brand baby wipes that can easily be found online.  I also have read that some people have had success by installing a bidet (water squirter) in their toilet that replaces wiping, but I have not tried it.  I've also read that finding a toilet paper that is not whitened with bleach is good, but I have had success without that step.

Cream:
Yes, we're back to creams.  This may be the most important part, although I think they are all important.  I made my own cream from a combination of products found at the store or online, and it was very easy.  Also, surprisingly, it does not contain hydrocortisone.  (I wanted to avoid it because I've read that prolonged use can make the skin more sensitive.)  I know making your own cream sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not, and if you hate your anus itching (possibly bothering you right now) as much as I did, you won't mind the trouble.  Some of these you may have to look for at a "natural" store, or I'm sure you can find them online.  Here is the recipe:

Two parts Shea Butter:
Make sure you get a jar of 100% shea butter, not a tube.  The jar of it will be of the consistency of semi-soft wax.  You can probably also use Cocoa butter, but again find 100%, and firm.  This will serve as a skin coating, protector, and help keep the cream waxy/creamy instead of slimy.

One part Desitin:
This is the #1 used diaper rash cream for babies for a reason.  The main ingredient is Zinc Oxide, at 40%, which is a skin protectant, and also works for deodorizing and even is antibacterial.  If you want to avoid the fragrance that Desitin has, you may be able to just buy zinc oxide powder online (used by people that make their own lotions and sunscreens), but I have not tried this.  Desitin is very creamy, however, and helps add creaminess to this recipe, so if you use just the zinc powder, maybe use a bit more of the other ingredients.

One part Aquaphor:
I read several places that the main ingredient in this product (Petrolatum 41%) is great as a skin protectant that also promotes healing.  If you are unable to find this product, you can maybe use vaseline, although I haven't tried it.

One part Aloe Vera:
Do NOT get the aloe vera gel next to the sunscreens at the drug store.  This will have alcohols and dyes and fragrances.  Try and find the closest thing you can to 100% aloe vera, with the fewest ingredients possible.  The one I found has just a couple of ingredients for preservation, as well as vegetable oils, and menthol (good for a cooling effect!).  You can use less than one part if your cream turns out too runny.

One part Preparation H COOLING GEL:
This step may be more for the hemorrhoids, but I believe it would help a simple itchy rash in that area as well.  (I found the pharmacy brand equivalent to be half the price and have the exact same ingredients.)  The two important ingredients here include Witch Hazel 50%, which is an astringent.  An astringent works by shrinking or constricting body tissues.  Whether it be a swollen hemorrhoid or an inflamed rash, this would help.  The second ingredient is Phenylephrine HCL 0.25%, a vasoconstrictor, which works similarly to an astringent but more specifically tightens the walls of blood vessels, also reducing swelling and inflammation, both reducing pain and itching!

One part Corn Starch:
Yes just the corn starch found in the baking aisle at the grocery store.  I've read that corn starch is supposed to be good for rashes if you sprinkle it on dry, but since that didn't work for me, I'm using it here for it's other useful purpose of thickening the cream.  I'm not sure if it has any other benefit once mixed in the cream, so you may skip this step if you don't want to buy any, or if you think the cream thickness is fine.  I have read a lot of homemade lotions, soaps, and deoderant recipes using corn starch, so there may be something to it.

-----
Well there you have it.  I massage a fingertip of this cream on my anus after every shower, and after every bowel movement if I don't shower immediately after.  At first I would put it on intermittently during the day also, but I no longer need to.  Also when I first bought all of the ingredients, because I could feel the itchiness spreading on my skin, I would also spread a layer of desitin all in my crack for a few days every morning. I have ZERO itch now, and I feel as though the skin has healed a lot.  I hesitate to attempt to try not putting the cream on to see if I even need it anymore, but I may wait a while longer.  By the way, I bought and cleaned out a small jar of baby food to put the cream in.  Very handy to take on trips.

Other steps I have not tried include sitz baths, using natural clothing detergent, and putting on clean underwear regularly.  For women, I have read that you should rule out a yeast infection.

Let me and others know if you had any success with this advice, and if you have any advice of your own please write it here!  Thanks and good luck!!

How long did you have anal itching before you got better? How long did it take your treatment idea to take effect?
i salute your spirit of help.i am in faar away india and came across this site accidentally. it feels so nice to have nice humans all over the place here.i have much minor problem...every few months just near the outer end of the anus just inside from the uter end...i have this small eruption like thing which makes passing stool bit painful. very seldom it bleeds. but i have applied a cream which advertises  as cure for general skin infections...... let me see the composition..1% boric acid,3% zinc oxide,anhydrous lanolin and white petroleum jelly w/w based cream...it works very well....but what i want to know is what is it i suffer from???
Before I really started changing my hygiene habits and tried making the cream, I had itching for about 2 or 3 months.  It began getting worse, which is why I took action.  I can't believe it when I read that some people have it for years!  I can only imagine how much it would affect one's life to have it that long.  It is SO annoying!  It takes over your life.

After I wrote this piece, I continued application until the tiny jar ran out (about a month), and I have never needed it again.  My hemorrhoids are also not bothering me at all, but I also have been eating better and better, so my BM's are much easier.
I suffered from anal itch/swamp ***/monkey butt for years. I heard about  analitchcure.com   from a buddy and have no symtoms (symptoms). Total relief for about 20 bucks. I wish I had found out about it years ago.
analitchcure.com has changed my life... for the better!!!

May I ask you a question, how do you feel yourself 3 years after?

Could you elaborate, how did you know that these combination of ingridients would help you? Did you tried to use them before separately?
I tried that remedy and it was pretty effective.  I also tried fire in the hole anal itch spray which doesn't contain any cortiosteriods  stopmyfire.com it was especially effective over time.  
PRANICURE OINTMENT CURES PRURITUS ANI (ITCHY BOTTOM)!!!

Just search Pranicure on google and it should be the first link.

I'm telling you...I suffered with pruritus ani for years--I have been using this for 5 months and I swear it's the absolute cure.  One bottle lasts 3-6 months too.

Rather than trying to spend the money on all of this stuff put together, you can buy a bottle of this Pranicure Ointment.  Seriously, it has been an absolute miracle worker for me.

Hope this cures your embarrassing itch as well as it did mine!
Where can I buy this Pranicure Ointment. I am trying on Google but still can.t find where .  Cheers   Harry.
Google "Pranicure Ointment" and it should be the first thing that comes up.  If that doesn't work go to PruritusAni dot ORG...hope this helps!
Aloe Lotion is a wonderful, all-purpose, skin lotion with a high content of pure, stabilized aloe plus Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E to moisturize and soothe the skin. Collagen and Elastin are added to this fine mix to assist in keeping the skin smooth and supple. It is an ideal choice for applying to dry, chafed, wind-blown or weathered skin.  It was recommended to me to soothe my nether region after having radiotherapy for prostate cancer and experiencing an itchy scrotum.

you can obtain it direct from www.alovera.co.uk
Thank you. I have found pranicure on the web and now awaiting by delivery
from them. Good luck to yourself from down under in Australia.
I would very much like to know how you are getting on with Pranicure?  Please post a reply.
hi

i am from India .i have itching for my hole body especial in face my arms and genital  and anal area ,in night time very worst i could not sleep at all ,it is running head to leg,my face  eyebrow ,ears become a dark and some of sores resulting white color pigments ,any body can suggest why my skin is turn like  this?  what i should do get ride of itching,kindly advice
I have had the dreaded anal itch for years. It has been embarrassing and more importantly a source of discomfort. I have tried everything from soap and water to preparationH. I even tried baby powder. It works your anus gets so dry it starts to crack and begins to bleed. I read other places that people have used Gold Bond powder with great success but I figure it will result in the same situation as baby powder. Instead of the gold bond powder, I got gold bond cream. I comes in a little 28g tube. After years
of daily scratching, I haven't scratched my hole
for four days. I have looked into why it works and basically the reason is the active ingredient menthol sends the cooling signal faster to your brain than your body sends the itching signal so you don't feel the urge to scratch. Its probably not a cure but it has brought comfort back to my anus. I hope this helps someone.
That is great information. I suffered from anal itch for years. Desitin only worked for a while and then was infective for me.  I found the only sure-fire cure for me was honey. Here is my formula...

Buy a jar of natural unprocessed raw honey at your health-food or vitamin store.
Then buy a bottle of Astroglide personal lubricant. Mix them up together thoroughly. Use just enough Astroglide to get the honey to the consistency of thick oil.

Use a Nitrile examination glove on your hand and dip your finger in the goo. (I put mine in a small empty ibuprofen bottle) and then stick your finger up your butt and massage the itchy or swollen areas carefully and thoroughly.

Honey is a natural antibiotic with healing properties. The Astroglide makes the stuff slippery so that the honey can be easily applied painlessly.

The best honey to use is Manuka honey. I have used other honeys, and they work also, but I have found Manuka is the best. Manuka has been found to have high levels of an antibacterial phytochemical and has been used in medical trials for wound healing. You can only find Manuka honey at a health food store or vitamin store. You can order it online as well. Just google it.

Hope this helps somebody.
First off, I must say thanks to you, the original poster, for putting this out here in the first place. It takes courage and strength to admit there is a problem with our behinds, so to speak. I was all prepared to make the trip to the store for the proposed ingredients of this amazing formula when I decided to use a touch of the gold bond powder I just bought for other reasons. It goes against common sense to put powder on an itchy, dry, cracked, bleeding problem… but that's exactly what I did... and guess what? It's working!!? Wow… could it be that simple? Maybe mine is a result of a fungal infection after all. Any kind of cream will only keep the areas moist, right? The powder acts as a kind of lubricant of it's own I guess. Please let me know if anyone else has had success with this remedy. I should also mention changing your diet to include more fiber is always advisable and I found this awesome fizzy powdered magnesium supplement (taken orally) that makes everything much softer if you know what I mean. Plus I read that Americans are chronically deficient in magnesium anyway, so it makes sense to supplement with it either way. Try it. I hope it works. Let's get this ridiculous problems solved once and for all. I'm not paying another cent for Prep H and other pharmaceutical drugs that only perpetuate the problems they are purporting solve.
Oh, I forgot to thank falconry for giving me the idea to use the gold bond powder in the first place. I'll keep you all informed of my progress to see if this actually works long term or if it's just another quick fix.
Kumar -
It sounds like you may have eczema.  Is your diet dairy free?  I assumed dairy free was common in India.  If you do consume cow's milk, cheese, cassein and whey products, you may want to stop completely and see if your skin improves.
Good luck to you.
I've had idiopathic anal itch for over 10 years now, ever since in high school.  Nothing has really worked permanently.  Sometimes it itches so bad it's unbelievable, like I have no power to resist scratching it.  And somehow it magically comes on right before bed...

Desitin based creams heal the area quickly after itching, but become ineffective if used often and don't prevent itch very well.

I came across an article on the web the other day about a study that was done a while back using Capsaicin cream derived from hot peppers.  I'm trying that now, and so far it relieves itching better than anything I've tried.  Haven't scratched it in at least a week now, which is amazing.

Zostrix capsaicin %0.025 can be diluted with vaseline to 1/4 the concentration at %0.006 and applied whenever the itch occurs.  It will burn like crazy, but it's not a truly painful burn and it feels good compared to the urge to itch imo.  I'm hoping it will work longterm.  The study indicated that most people did achieve relieve after about 1 year, with daily applications keeping the itch at bay.

This is only for people with long term idiopathic itch.  If a recent onset, it may be fungus or something.  I've had it for years and tried everything, so I can only assume it's not a fungus.  Scratching only damages the skin and makes it worse.