Anal Skin Tag Removal
I went to a colorectal surgeon today at the hospital and he told me that having my anal skin tag removed would be pointless as it doesn't cause pain or anything. I know I want it removed though because it causes me to be self-conscious especially during sex. I've refrained from having sex for 1.5 years because of it, and I'm only 20. I'm willing to go through any pain, but I'm worried about the cost. I am on my parent's insurance, will most of the cost be covered? Should I go to a dermatologist instead to get it removed if its cheaper?

If the skin tag is not causing any pain then it should be left as such, but if it is cosmetically unpleasant then you should get it removed from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The colorectal surgeon that I saw told me that it was a skin tag just based on sight. He told me right away. It doesn't cause pain, but he told me that it likely could have been from a fissure that I have. So he is having me go back in a couple weeks to see how the fissure is doing since I'm in the process of healing it.
I do plan on calling the dermatologist to finally get rid of this thing. It is just a major embarrassment and really has taken a toll on my self-esteem.