Anal Warts or Skin Tags?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Anal Warts or Skin Tags?

I am very concerned at the moment to the point of which I am freaking myself out. Around October/November 2010, I remember having a bowel movement that was surely troublesome as it was slightly painful. It hurt due to my stool being very thick and hard making it harder to pass. Not to long afterwards, I noticed (during my shower when cleaning the area) there was a bump literally directly inside the lining from the external anus to the internal anus. It was not big, but was movable (felt as though it was attached at the base).

A day or so later during another BM, I noticed some slight bleeding on the tissue paper. Scared, I waited until my annual physicians visit (in Dec. 2010) to ask my doctor about this. He immediately said it sounded like a possible internal hemorrhoid and prescribed me a Hydrocoritsone cream to use.

Now, I have had anal intercourse in the past which definitely made me immediately think of warts/HPV. That took a toll for the worst, as it made me depressed for a day or two thinking I made dumb decisions and now have an STD that will always be with me latent in the body. Ever since that appt, I have now noticed a few other very tiny bump-like areas external to the anal "hole" but near it. I took a handheld mirror to try and look at them, and they are very small areas that look as though they are thin and movable. It is very hard to tell if they have the "cauliflower appearance" or what not.

Using the cream has not caused the internal bump to get smaller, so Im beginning to get concerned that what I thought was a hemorrhoid was actually an internal wart caused by HPV. I began reading SEVERAL things online, from CDC to online forums.

I then stumbled across "skin tags." I then began to wonder if I may have small skin tags that were caused during my bowel movement due to stretching of the anal tissue/tearing. After reading, I know that these are two very common misconceptions and can get mixed up.

I know I will plan another visit with my Dr. as soon as I can, but just to try and calm my nerves down and freak out I posted this on here.

Are skin tags self-limiting or do they stay until removed? Can you have hemorroid for a long time? Is there any specific appearance of a hemorrhoid that may determine whether or not it is NOT a hemorrhoid but a wart? Can warts and/or skin tags bleed if stretched or irritated during a bowel movement?

I am a 21 year old male. Please help make me feel more calm about the situation... it is just so scary. :( Thanks for reading.
It can be due to either of the three: hemorrhoids( external) , warts or skin tags. Biopsy skin can help in differentiating all and confirming the diagnosis. Skin tag is a benign condition and you do not have to worry about it. These tiny skin growths generally cause no symptoms unless they are repeatedly irritated. The commonest area where they occur are armpits, groins, neckfolds etc. Treatment options include removing with scissors, freezing (using liquid nitrogen), and burning (using medical electric cautery at the physician's office).

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.