Dermatology Expert Forum
Ankle Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Ankle Rash

About 2 months ago I developed a rash on my right ankle and the back of my right leg.  There was also a smaller rash area on my left ankle.

The rash was initially red and painful, like a sunburn. After the painful phase, the rash became itchy. I went to my Dr. and she thought it may be Cellulitis, although she was not sure.  I was treated with Keflex and the rash seemed to slowly dissapear.  

However, the rash does not seem to be entirely gone. Although it is fine when I am sitting around during the day, when I exercise or take a shower, the redness on the back of my leg comes back.

(Clarification, rash is an even red, and is not bumpy.  It looks like a suburn.  Rash was NOT hot, no fever or malaise, otherwise healthy 28 year old female.)

Should I be concerned? What could this be?  Thank you.
No concern seems necessary.  I doubt it was cellulitis, which means infection, but any red rash on the legs will look red for weeks after the condition is long gone.  Showering and exercise bring blood to the skin, which reddens it.  Means nothing.  I suggest you ignore the redness and watch it slowly disappear.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have been looking for an answer for this same ankle rash for almost 15 years.  It is not nothing, it bothers me. Every time I show a Dr. that is the comment I get. Put some topical meds on it.  Maybe it is an allergy, It is right above where  my socks would end and about the space of my hand across.  Sometimes it is hot to the touch and now it has become sore to touch at times.  The very first time it happened I was walking at a Six Flags in CA, the next time was in Washington DC now it happens all the time.  I can take a hot shower and get out and my legs will be red and burn.  I saw that women were posting comments on this same type of rash back in 2004 and wanted an answer and did not get one.  I went to my Dr yesterday again and he still has no answers. So I am searching the web.  Thank you for your time.
I to am looking for the reason of this rash that appears when I get hot. When I play golf and its hot out my ankles  end up looking like I was burned. Sometimes its hurt but most of time it just looks nasty.Wearing longer socks helps some but it makes my legs hot.  Still looking for the answers on this.
Wow, I have the same rash.. 1st time for me. I was outside in the heat all day, the next morning i had a rash(looking like blood spots on my lower legs above my socks) Strange, doesn't hurt or itch but very unsighty!  Anything i can use on it to go away and how long should it take to go away?

Thanks,
kixx

I'm having a similar problem, a rash on the inside of my calves.  It doesn't really hurt or itch.  I've thought that it might have something to do with a product that I was using in the shower...or maybe it's the excessive heat we've had in So. Cal. lately.

If anyone one knows what this is or how to make it go away, it would be great to know.
hi i have a rash on my ankle came up in the hot weather .i am worried can anyone help
I was looking for information about the rash on my ankles that just happened to me for the first time at age 55, when I came across this thread of conversation. I was astonished to read so many accounts of the very same condition, and NO answers for it. It is comforting, though, to know somebody is going through the same thing and will talk about it. And I agree: IT'S NOT NOTHING. It is very annoying, unsightly and even painful. I would dearly love to know what it is and if it's treatable, or something I will have for the rest of my life.
      Mine started because I got a job where I have to walk in a huge warehouse all day, from one end to the center and then to the other end to the center again, over and over every day.
      It so happens that we have had unusually hot, humid weather here in Western Washington the last few weeks, and when it first started, it was nearly 100 degrees that day. I have used anti fungal creams and Gold Bond cream and it makes it feel better, but it seems that only time and keeping cool makes it calm down. I have even packed it in ice to stop the burning. Every weekend it fades almost to nothing, and every Monday it comes back to stay all week. I'm frustrated, and I plan to watch this forum in case someone comes up with answers ... could happen!
I have had a rash that comes up on my right ankle for about the past three or four years .The rash comes up in the summer time and itches worse then anything I have ever experienced .It seems to come around about the same time every year and seems to go hand in hand with the tingling itch in my neck ,which is attributed to 3 bulging disks in my neck .The itching comes and goes and has no real pattern to the itch or the redness .it just comes and goes but always starts when the weather gets hot....?????????????????
Yeah, I get the same ugly red rash.  Usually happens when I'm outside in the heat, doing a lot of walking.  Within a few hours, the rash develops on the inside of my ankles, then creeps up the inside of my calves, almost reaching my knees.  I went to the doctor once, and was told it was just plain old heat rash.  The doctor told me to rub A&D diaper rash cream on it, which I did.  The cream itself is unsightly because of the zinc oxide, but it always does the trick.  Now, I take the stuff with me on summer vacations when I expect to be doing lots of walking.  I wonder if getting the rash has anything to do with being overweight?  I'm a 6'1" male and about 240 pounds, my coworker gets the same rash, and she's fairly heavy, as well.
A related discussion, ankle rash was started.
A related discussion, swelling of legsand rash around ankles was started.
A related discussion, Redness  right ankle only was started.
A related discussion, red rash on Feet toes and legs was started.