Any CURE for brachioradial pruritus? (besides ice as relief)
Thousands of people are suffering with Brachioradial Pruritus, including myself, in my tenth year. It is the most maddening disease and I have learned of no cure. Ice is the ONLY thing to provide relief, and acupuncture has not been effective for me. I have tried all the expensive prescription and steroid creams to no avail. I am losing sleep, and my sanity, b/c it keeps me up all night. I am staying out of the sun, but every year, this persists until December or January. I have read countless articles and blogs about BRP, am sure that is what I have, but have yet to find a cure, and therefore some hope that I don't have to suffer with this every year for the rest of my life. Any new ideas/solutions/cures??? PLEASE?!!!!
Hello fellow brachioradey P's .
You guys..... I was loosing my mind last month. I couldn't stop itching, scratching and my neck and head felt like it was going to explode from pressure and pain. I am 39 years old and active. I have always had light excema and had been treating my itchy arms as dermatitis, excema.
I lived in costa rica for a summer in 2010 and I thought I had bug bites on my lower arms. My arms have not stopped itching since. The itch has moved to my upper arms and has scarred, bruised and bled. I thought I had bed bugs. I got a new matress.  I have seen dermatologists and a  primary M.D. I've been treating this ick as dermatitis and excema. About 3 weeks ago, I was so stressed out, itchy, bitchy and twitchy, that I read these posts from all of you, my new friends.......
I found myself a wholeistic chiropractor. He has been helping the neck and  the nerves and the itch is dwindling.
I found the product (Bio freeze) best money you will spend. I have the roll on and carry it in my purse. It feels ice and the itch is relieved instantly.
I am trying to stay away from gluten and any thing that causes inflammation. This started out to be difficult, as dieting is not my thing. But, as time goes on, the itch is leaving and my tummy is shrinking, my neck feels better and I am less tired and irritable.  
These are small adjustments that are causing a huge decrease in my itch. I am so grateful.
I also live in in the Tampa area at Indian Rocks Beach and I feel like a freak because I have to cover my arms and shoulders all the time even when I am in the pool or walking on the beach.  I use a blue cooling gel from CVS which is somewhat effective but today I am going to purchase some Clorox wipes.  I would like to know who your doctor is because I would really like to see a doctor who understands this condition.
I have suffered from BRP for years. To make a long story short since BRP is related to cervical nerve issues I tried R Alpha Lipoic Acid in medicinal doses (i.e. over 900 mg). FOR YEARS this worked and stopped the itching, burning, etc. Now it doesn't. I typing this after spending a horrible night with little sleep.
I have had this affliction for 38 years and ice packs were the only thing that helped. I tried cannabis infused coconut oil (1 teaspoon at night) and have been itch free for over 8 months. My neurologist tried 21 different medications on me, some were heavy anti-psychotic crossover meds that really made me feel horrible.
I never thought in a million years that cannabis would help eliminate my itching.
There is also another product that will give you temporary relief. It is Kwan Loong Pain Relieving Aromatic Oil available on Amazon for about $10.
Good luck!
how do you infuse coconutoil with canabis?
Where can you find cannabis infused coconut oil? In Denver only?
Where can you find cannabis infused coconut oil? In Denver only
Hello!  I have had this condition for at least 10 years, but I was just diagnosed today.  Finding out, and finding info here and other places online has been SUCH a relief!  After so long of everyone telling me, "just stop scratching" and "put some lotion on it," I feel so validated!  Ice rarely worked for me, I'd tried that, cortisone creams, different lotions, changing soaps and laundry detergents, even heat.  NOTHING helped.  A couple of years ago I was desperate and someone said, as usual 'put some lotion on it.'  I have learned to at least LOOK cooperative, because people often are annoyed when you tell them it doesn't work, so I got a sample of Aveda's Stress Relief lotion I had received and put it on.  It kind of worked!  If I use it early enough in the itch cycle (before I scratch my arms into a frenzy), it helps more, and it's never 100%, but it helps some.  I figured it was possibly the high amounts of lavender in it (though I'm not a natural medicine person), so a month or so ago I got a stick of vitamin E moisturizer with high amounts of lavender oil in it.  That helps even more, though it leaves my arm greasy.  My belief on natural remedies is it depends on your individual physiology, but at least that has helped me.  I don't spend a ton of time in the sun, but I have always carried WAY too much tension in my neck (to the point that I had to have a bunch of physical therapy this year to treat the tension and the carpal tunnel I had developed), so I'm going to talk to my primary care doctor about getting a neurologist and doing an MRI of my neck and I'm going to try some capsacin cream.  I'm just so excited to have options!
I use a lotion called Sarna that helps me.  I get it at Walgreens.  
Had this for years. Definitely feel it is related to cervical spine issues. Finally tried acupuncture, after 1 treatment 80% better. After 2nd totally gone for 3 years. Just started again 2 weeks ago. Going nuts tonight and sister-in-law let me try her cream TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE CREAM, USP 0.1%-- it helped almost immediately. The first I've been itch free in 2 weeks. Nothing topical has ever worked before. I'm hopeful this will help.
how did you find a good acupuncture place?
Acupuncture didn't work for me and in fact made it so much worse.  Be careful with that.
I have had this for about 10 yrs now, it is definately nerve damage from the sun (mine is anyways)...Live on a lake and it's hard to keep me out of the sun and water in the summers. Just tried the clorox thingy and it seems to help a bit. I have noticed also that if I cut out sugar and carb's I can keep the itch at bay....Does anyone else notice that if you eat certain foods that the itch is more severe?? There was only 1 summer that I had no itch and I was on the Belly Fat Diet where you eat NO sugar and your carb count is very low...NEVER itched once that fall..(usually comes on in Aug and last through Dec. or later)....Watch what you eat and see if the flare up is worse with different foods..I swear that it has a great deal to do with the itch..but it is from the sun and our nerve endings are going whacky...and since it takes forever for our nerve endings to grow back I believe that is why they itch until the next year (Jan or so)...And the winter helps also...and it's not just the sun but even inside and hot heat really gets it going also...That clorox thingy is helping though but am gonna go back on the No sugar Low Carb Diet also...Let me know if any of you guys notice if it gets worse with different foods...No processed foods at all..
I aslo believe that diet helps it tremendously...No sugar and very low carb's
I have had BRP for about 4-5 years now. I am a 48yr old female in MA. Never a sun worshipper, but go to the beach on occasion. Always shows up in Aug and usually by December symptoms subside. Mostly its my upper arm(s), but i have had pain and itching in my left lower arm near my wrist and somewhat up a little higher on the top side. the left side is worse than the right- always. What i use: ICE! I also use mentholatum liquid lotion (similar to absorbine Jr type applications) which helps cuz of its cooling properties and less rubbing  cuz its a lotion, than vics vaporub and ointments with menthol or camphor. Lidocaine didnt help as it usually only helps subcutaneously or on membranes and not in-tact skin. I tried gabapentin until i went to speak and the words came out so slow, it was too freaky for me. I tried capsaicin and it did nothing until like 14 hrs later and then i started to burn like crazy when i was sleeping, like the nerves just woke up... i would never try that again. Last night i woke up and that area of my arms were numb to my touch, which was freaky. I am going to try benadryl tonight. see if that helps and maybe marijuana sometime...lol its horrible. I did buy a shoulder sling that holds ice packs in them so when its bad at work, i can just put them on my arms and still work instead of holding them with  the other hand. menthol/cooling products help somewhat so i use ice and those and i don't mind the smell. no other topical stuff i tried has worked. I do not have a formal diagnosis but i am making an appt so i can get one. I approached my PCP with the info and maybe he thought i was just looking for something to be wrong with me...lol but after going through this crazy itching you are desperate...and its a real condition. Dont know what causes it- spine or sun; mine came on after a trip to the beach and always comes at this time of year...so its not like i am doing acrobats every Aug. lol...more research needs to be done on it. I live in MASS. so its not a southern tropical climate and i dont work outdoors- i thought i had mites or an allergy and then i remembered once i had a small itchy spot on my shoulder the size of a dime and went to the DERM guy and he told me it was a nerve problem not a skin problem.  i then remembered it after itching for a whole season and started looking it up "itchy shoulders" and it was like i was reading what i experienced to a "T".  so i mentioned it to my Dr and he prescribed me GABAPENTIN. and off i went. and that was it. Im left ot my own devices now so off to the Dermatologist.
I have suffered with this condition on an off for years.  I have tried many of the same remedies as stated in all the posts, with no real impact.   the best is zonalon cream which is a form of anti-depressant, gabapentin had scary side effects so stopped that, had cervical injections that worked for one full year.  I am back to itchy arms.  I have been seen by dermatologists, neurologists, acupuncture, massage therapy, and general chiro.  I recently moved to FL and found a chiro who specifically works atlas and upper cervical.   I do believe my issue stems from cervical stenosis and C4-C5 issues.   We shall see, for now back to ice packs.
i live in naples, is that close to you im looking for a good chiro
My deepest thanks to you for posting. All these years later you have saved me from insanity...  I have been in chiropractic care for a very long time... I was seeing my chiro and having laser tx on my Tennis elbow when the itching began. It was (and still is) the kind of torture that makes you imagine sticking an ice pick into the joint to get the sweet relief that scratching initially brings. That itch then began to travel down my arm to my wrist and hand and then began to present in my other arm precisely the same way. 10 mg of prednisone quiets things down but the moment I ween off all the torment begins anew. I am going to revisit my chiro and run to the store right now for some capsasin. Thank you thank you thank you.
I wrote on here a few years ago but at that time I didn't have a name for it and my sad plea for help is still on here and goes un-noticed and un-answered.
I have had this for 10 years TODAY I got diagnosed! I have BRP and I will be having some injections in my C4 to C7 Has anyone had these injections? Please reply if you have had them.
I knew I had BRP but it has taken me 2 years to convince the hospital, they thought I was mad, I have been referred to nearly all departments including mental health and I am sure a straight jacket had my name on it somewhere in my doctors closet. They still ignored me after the MRI showed the problems in my neck. I just got lucky today and found a good doctor.
I used ice for so long I now have an allergy to it that started a year ago. I have cold urticuria and my skin can not stand anything on it below 16 degrees. I swell up with hives and get awful and serious reactions. The UK is normally below that temperature so not good.
In the past I have taken every pill and potion they have thrown my way. I have been on some horrid personality changing drugs, no help.Most creams will sensitise your skin and thin it making it worse after a while. I All I use now is Aloe Propolis cream from Forever. It works after about 5 mins. I take nothing else now. Its about time this condition was recognised, people should not have to wait years for a diagnose. I am so glad I found this site again and happy I am at last having some treatment :)
Alot of truck drivers get this and the reason it's only on the left side is because that arm when you are driving is exposed to the sun constantly..My left arm is always worse but I do get some on the right also...watch what you eat...go No sugar and very low carb's...it helps alot.
I did a No sugar low carb's diet and it helped alot...now just last week I went gluten free and it helps alot also..ugh!
good to know, thank you :)
So, as Google the condition there seems to be two schools of thought on the cause. The first is sun damage. The second it nerve damage.
Based on my symptoms I am convinced it's a combination of both.
I have had my C5, C6, and C7 vertebrae fused. I had BRP before the surgery, and it did not change afterwards. At the time of the surgery I did not correlate the two issues and had never heard the term BRP.
I live in the south, own a boat, and get a lot of sun.
Typically around January or February the problem goes away, and I am okay until around September. Then it comes storming back. Every year. Year after year. It's always seasonal. This led me to believe for a long time it was allergies. But, now I firmly believe its a combination of sun exposure on damaged nerves, causing them to react badly for a long time.
Most articles do not correlate to the two conditions. They usually say it's one or the other. I would like to see some research on the two conditions combined causing BRP.
This for me was horrible. Made the itching and burning MUCH WORSE.
I live in the UK and have been suffering with this nightmare complaint for nearly 3 months now and the itching has been unbearable at times. My Dr prescribed antihistamines and a double based gel and told me to return in a week if there was no relief and they would do blood tests. During that week I read on here about BRP and about a possible link to vertebrae 5 and 6. As I have arthritis I decided to go and see my osteopath and explained my symptoms ...... And lo and behold I have a compressed vertebra #5. I have had 8 sessions with the osteopath, twice weekly at first - and plenty of ice packs on my neck and my arm, and the problem has gradually subsided - so much so that I don't have to see the osteopath for a month now, and the slight intermittent itching is bearable. He told me it should have gone completely within 2 months now. I am so glad I went to the osteopath to be checked, as I didn't experience any neck pain, but the nerve from that vertebra was causing all the problem.

I have had the injections and they worked real well for about a year, and then it came back on both sides.   I had the injections in May of 2014 and it came back in July 2015.   I had since moved down south, stay out of sun, but not sure if it was weather related.  Now i am going to chiro , specifically for my next axis rotation.   we shall see.  good luck

LGU
I have had BRP for about 6 years now. Unlike many of you on here, I do not have any underlying neck pathology and have had an MRI to substantiate that. Having had the condition for so long, driving around with a cool box with ice packs in the car became a routine habit. I even developed a technique for balancing an icepack on my arm to enable me to keep typing on my keyboard at work! I was finally put on gabapentin in February this year and since then haven't looked back. After a couple of days, the itching actually stopped altogether. I literally went from ripping my arms to shreds to no itching at all overnight! My arms are very scarred and I am very conscious of exposing them but thankfully I am no longer itching. In my experience, Doctors don't see the condition very often and seem reluctant to prescribe anything other than topical creams, which honestly do nothing. The only one that I got vague relief from from was Dermacool (menthol in aqueous). Apparently there are two or three drugs that I could have tried if the Gabapentin hadn't worked. Fingers crossed it keeps that awful itching and burning at bay forever.
This stuff is aweful...almost worse than the itch and intensifies the pain 10 fold.
17 years I have been out of my mind with itchy arms I can not get a doctor to help .I'm told that my itchy arms and my neck have nothing to do with each other .so sick of doctors looking at me like I am crazy .I'm live in Massachusetts if anyone knows of a good doctor .
didday,
I went through the same thing with my doctor as well.
After years of creams and allergy medicine, I showed up one day and told him I have brachioradial pruritus.
He didn't believe me and went on to explain that the brachioradial is the muscle in you arm, and pruritus means itch. That is not a known condition he said.
I told him I am not leaving the exam room until he goes back to his office and researches it, and comes back with a treatment plan.
He came back 45 minutes later, agreed it is a real condition, and prescribed Nuerontin (Gabapentin). This has been a tremendous help.
It does not work for all, but it works great for me. It makes some folks drowsy, including me, so I only take it at night. It gets me through most days as well however. I feel your pain...ice packs at 3 AM suck....
I have (or had) BRP.  It was horrible.  I went to a chiropractor, told him my symptoms.  He told me it was due to my posture or leaning forward and mostly from sleeping on my side.  I hadn't even told him i sleep on my side.  so, he adjusted me, and i stopped sleeping on my side, and tried to have better posture.  Now, my brp is basically gone.  If i notice it now, i know that its just my posture, and i can fix that.  Worst case, i can go back to the chiro and have him adjust me again.  GO SEE A CHIRO!!   Stop with the bad posture and sleep on your back!!!
I am so happy to have stumbled across this site! People that don't have it just don't understand how maddening this is! I've had it for a few years and my friend, she is a nurse, said that she sees a lot of it at the Emergency room, when people come i with bloody arms. I will try he Capsaicin sp? cream for sure. I have tried essential oils mixed with coconut oil, that helped for a little while, but now it's back. I try with all my might to not scratch but man it's so hard not to!! At this point I will try anything to make this stop!!!!
Hello everyone my name is maria amber here is my contact ***@****,
I'am here to speak about the good work {Dr.aigboa} has done in my life, the man who cured me from scabies diseases, i got infected with the virus so i start searching for help.  
I was searching through the internet for help when i saw  comments of people speaking on how {Dr.aigboa} has help them cure scabies and other diseases, i didn't believe but i just choose to give Him a try and i contacted him through this e-mail (***@****) and i was told what to do and i did it.
To my greatest surprise after patiently going according to instruction given to me by this man called {Dr.aigbod} all the diseases disappear and i went for a medical test and the result was negative. I want to say thanks to Dr.aigboa, and God will bless you for the good work you are doing.

You can also contact this great and powerful man if you have any diseases on your body via his e-mail: ***@****
Everything has worked. I have had minimal episodes, but nothing like before.
Mobic is an anti inflammatory alone with  my prior post has really worked.
What I also discovered by my hand surgeon, is cocoa butter has removed most of my scarring. Honest.
I apply it 2-3 times a day
gabapentin, arm shaving to reduce irritation, and B-100. Give it a shot
OK - CURES!! After years of hell I got onto the Mayo clinic's treatment - a topical cream containing Ketamine, a potent anaesthetic, so use it very thinly!! Google the relevant article. Has to be prescribed by an anaesthetics specialist, in Australia at least. This worked brilliantly for over 2 years, but this low dosage was starting to wear off and doc was becoming concerned about possible liver damage from ketamine. THEN an even better breakthrough! Had been coincidentally taking  krill capsules 500 mg with fish oil for a couple of weeks for achy joints, when one night in bed realised I hadn't put the cream on and wasn't itching. So didn't put the cream on again the next night, and miracle of miracles, haven't itched since! Krill was the only thing different. Since taking these capsules I haven't had a SINGLE itch, when before, my life was becoming a torment! My doc said he was going to suggest this to other patients - fingers crossed this simple remedy will work for you!!
dear brachpruritiscured:  what type of doctor did you see at Mayo?  I have recently been associated with Mayo and was thinking about seeing a doc from there for BPR.  thanks --- glad to hear your better.  I have not tried Krill yet, but have tried everything else.
I found these posted comments after searching the internet trying to desperately find out what the heck is wrong with me. I went to my Doctor a few days ago because I literally could not take it anymore, I am a nurse in the ER and I was convinced I had contracted scabies or bugs or something bizarre effecting only my left upper arm. I have had this on and off in the past but it had never actually been a serious issue effecting my nightly sleep, etc, Thank You!! I am totally convinced this is somehow related to sun exposure. I am out almost every day in the summer months road biking/running, etc. I lift weights and have no cervical pain or history of issues with my C spine...I am going to try some of these suggested remedies and cover up!!
I believe I have brp-for two years now. It started in July 2014 after I herniated a disc in my lower back.  I didn't know why I was itching, I thought all the same things-scabies, bedbugs, mites, dry skin, liver problems.  None of the Drs I saw knew what I was talking about when I brought up brp.  After changing diet, trying every Otc cream, allergy pills, oils, only ice helps.  It is pure torture.  I am a 37 yr old male and I also have hypothyroidism, and anxiety.  I am going to try those Clorox wipes and if that doesn't work, capsaicin.  I hope that the medical field will start taking this problem seriously.
I cut the top off an old sock, slide my arm in and tuck an ice pack inside. It works marvelously. Sometimes I have one on both arms.
I am so happy that I came across this site. I have done google searches before on "itchy arms" & never came across until I was talking with a dermatologist about my symptoms & she said Brachioradial Pruitis.  I have tried most everything I knew. I have had symptoms for almost 20 years & have seen various Drs., specialist, & tried natural remidies.  Now I have a few more to try. Since starting to read blog, I feel hopeful to try some of these that have helped others. Mine started with maybe a one month episode the first year or two & had progressed to almost constant, just switching arms. Just saying I am happy to have a word for it & some new things to try.  
I have also suffered with this condition for decades, though only on rare occasions.  I have a clicking in my back when in certain positions, so I know that something is askew in my spine.  Nothing worked to satiate the tingling in my arms for those aggravating 20-minute episodes - until now.  Having visited Colorado recently and returned home with a vape pen and some sativa cannabis cartridges, taking a few tokes from the pen, enough to get mildly high, made my forearm itch vanish within a few minutes.  I presume the THC (or other compounds) work to quiet the errant nerve activity in the brain and effectively cut off the signals before they can travel to the arms.  Say what you will about pot, but nature put it there for a reason, and it works for me.

I suspect it is the cannabis - not the coconut oil/butter - that is making the difference.  Take a trip, get some weed, inhale it to get it into your bloodstream instantly, and experience the sweet relief that I have.   Don't waste it smearing it on your arms, because you only THINK they are itching - it's the brain firing off signals, and it's those signals that need to be tamped down (I've had it in the back of my neck, too).  I've tried it all, from creams to ice water, with none of it working, so I know the gig.  Look at it this way: now you have a legitimate reason to get stoned.
I'm using Lidocaine patches on my arms, 12 hours on, 12 off. They are working amazingly well and allow me to actually sleep at night!!! Also, Aspercream with Lidocaine for day time flare ups.
I use Lidocaine patches as well and the aspercream with Lidocaine but the patches work best.  Do you use more than one patch at a time?  I only use one and it helps tremendously for sleep--it just does not necessarily calm down the other arm.  I read of a case where a woman had surgery and she found relief but this sounds too extreme for me except at night when I am itching so much I could cry.
Hello fellow BP sufferers.  Stumbled across this forum a week or so ago when my flare up was at its worst.  I'm happy to report I think I'm getting close to the end, again. I live in Wisconsin and have had these flare ups for many years but was first diagnosed 12/14.  When it returned this October I spent more time trying to figure out how this came about and what I can do to prevent future flare ups.  This is what I tried:  chiropractor for Atlas work, Advil 4 times a day, (I know this is too much), gold bond anti itch with menthol cream several times day, extreme posture (if this is due to a small pinched nerve I wanted to not hang my head forward as we all do when on iPad or our phones), neck exercises and ice, lots and lots of ice.  Seemed my problem was the absolute worst at night and I finally perfected leaving my ice bag right by my chair, as I knew I would wake up itching and need to go sit in my chair.  I have cut back on most everything except the cream
Thanks to all for the many comments here and the remedies tried.  I too have done many of these, having suffered this intermittently for the past 4 months, and now understand how some remedies work and others do not.  This article describes much of what I've read here and is the most informative one I've read on this ailment we share:  http://www.brachioradialpruritus.com/brp~what-is-the-cause-.html

Impingement of the nerves that come from the spine, particularly C-3-4, seem to be what causes the itching so chiropractic manipulation might be effective.  From what I've also read, the reason cold icepacks work is because the "cold" overrides the itch sensation that the brain processes.  I've found heat is what can prompt the itch cycle, so sun can be a factor and I've noticed if I'm sleeping on my side and my arm gets too warm, the ensuing itch will wake me up.

If ice is not an option to use if you're on the go, a product called Biofreeze which was mentioned in a previous post is excellent and stops the itch almost immediately.  It is menthol based which gives a cooling effect similar to ice and comes in a roll-on which is easily applied or gel tube.  Amazon sells it for about $10.  Hope this information helps.
Cervical traction with a home device (used in a horizontal body position) seems to relieve some of the pressure on cervical nerves. In addition, Lidocaine 5% patches (manufactured by Watson/Actavis Pharmaceuticals) placed each evening on shoulders and arms provide significant, beneficial, and effective relief. Patches are worn for 12 hours and help the BRP sufferer to sleep at night. The benefits seem to carry over into the following day. Lastly, Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine provides on-the-spot short term relief. Effective hygiene includes cool or cold showers with only Cetaphil used on arms and shoulders.
Sorry for the duplicate post but the second one contains more valuable and detailed information.
I have also suffered with this condition for decades, though only on rare occasions.  I have a clicking in my back when in certain positions, so I know that something is askew in my spine.  Nothing worked to satiate the tingling in my arms for those aggravating 20-minute episodes - until now.  Having visited Colorado recently and returned home with a vape pen and some sativa cannabis cartridges, taking a few tokes from the pen, enough to get mildly high, made my forearm "itch" vanish within a few minutes.  I presume the THC (or other compounds) work to quiet the errant nerve activity in the brain and effectively cut off the signals before they can travel to the arms.  Say what you will about pot, but nature put it there for a reason, and it works for me.
I have suffered from BRP for about 20 yrs. For the longest time there wasn't a doctor that could tell me what the problem was. I'm not sure if it is the sun that affects me as I am a sun worshipper, or if it comes from my cervical and lumbar spine neuropathy. It started when I lived in Fla. It starts around the end of August and goes on until March or April every year. It drives me insane especially at night. There are nights where I don't sleep at all. I scratch the blood out of my arms. The only relief I have found it freezing my arms with ice, I have also used Capsaicin cream that makes my arms burn which is a welcome relief from itching.
I have used Capsaicin cream and it gives some relief. It burns especially if I have been scratching my arms. The burning is a welcome relief from the itching to me.
Fourth Chinese acupuncture treatment today.  Itching decreased by 50%
I've been suffering for about 17 months now and had resorted to taking ice packs to bed with me. A week ago I started taking a high dose Vit B complex and I realised a couple of days ago that I'm not itching at night at all at the moment. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm pretty excited about it at the moment!
These comments have relieved my mind about the itching that I have been having. I recently spent a lot of time in the sun on vacation so I am convinced that this is what triggered the itching. Googled my problem and came across this chat session. It has answered a lot of my questions as I was thinking of what might have caused this. I have had many sleepless nights. Took a Benedryl pill yesterday and that seemed to help for awhile. However, it made me sleepy so I would not take it during the day. I am going to try some remedies that have been  suggested here. Thank you all for these suggestions and for sharing your problem with others who are also suffering from this annoying condition.
It's the beginning of a New year 2016....and this itching started about 8 mos ago. It hasn't gotten any better w/the weather change, that I'm aware of. I still go crazy itching...and run for the ice pack/s. My itching occurs mostly on my left upper arm, shoulder and back by my underarm. I was in a car accident 30 yrs ago and "broke" my neck, had what I think was either C4-5 or C5-6 fused, and then in halo brace for 6 mos. After all my research, I'm sure that what I have is Brachioradial Pruritis, and have yet to spend time going to a Dr., because I have limited gov't insurance & a general physician who is unaware of BRP. So where do I start? I was thinking about getting y x-rays of neck from hospital and copying info off internet about this condition to educate him, so that he can refer me to a chiropractor possibly, if my insurance will approve me so many visits with a DC. Seems as if any other kind of Dr., really would be a waste of time since there is no cure. Has anyone had any luck with osteopaths and just wondering if anyone has any info on how to proceed with getting help, with limited funds....before my arms turn to leather and/or simply lose it!?! Thanks in advance for your help!
Also,, can chiropractic care help. If I tell the chiropractor that I have a compressed nerve in my neck as I can't find a DC that is aware of this condition...can they give me some relief. I found one DC that says he has heard of the condition and would offer me cold laser treatments. Has anyone heard of this as a possible solution?
Hi.  I am new to this forum.  I was so desperate when I was in A flare last month.  I was up to 9 gabapentin and creams.   I saw the new Terrasil SHINGLES cream at Walgreens and it is all natural.  I had nothing to lose.  It doesn't stop the pain and itching, but it DID SOOTH it and helped a bunch!   I keep it with me at all times now.  
I just ran across this site but wanted to tell you I can't eat fruit!  It makes me itch horribly. I eat it only a little at a time because I love it. But I stay away from it if I can. High sugar really sets my itch off bad.
1