Any CURE for brachioradial pruritus? (besides ice as relief)
Thousands of people are suffering with Brachioradial Pruritus, including myself, in my tenth year. It is the most maddening disease and I have learned of no cure. Ice is the ONLY thing to provide relief, and acupuncture has not been effective for me. I have tried all the expensive prescription and steroid creams to no avail. I am losing sleep, and my sanity, b/c it keeps me up all night. I am staying out of the sun, but every year, this persists until December or January. I have read countless articles and blogs about BRP, am sure that is what I have, but have yet to find a cure, and therefore some hope that I don't have to suffer with this every year for the rest of my life. Any new ideas/solutions/cures??? PLEASE?!!!!
LGU

I have had the injections and they worked real well for about a year, and then it came back on both sides.   I had the injections in May of 2014 and it came back in July 2015.   I had since moved down south, stay out of sun, but not sure if it was weather related.  Now i am going to chiro , specifically for my next axis rotation.   we shall see.  good luck

LGU
I have had BRP for about 6 years now. Unlike many of you on here, I do not have any underlying neck pathology and have had an MRI to substantiate that. Having had the condition for so long, driving around with a cool box with ice packs in the car became a routine habit. I even developed a technique for balancing an icepack on my arm to enable me to keep typing on my keyboard at work! I was finally put on gabapentin in February this year and since then haven't looked back. After a couple of days, the itching actually stopped altogether. I literally went from ripping my arms to shreds to no itching at all overnight! My arms are very scarred and I am very conscious of exposing them but thankfully I am no longer itching. In my experience, Doctors don't see the condition very often and seem reluctant to prescribe anything other than topical creams, which honestly do nothing. The only one that I got vague relief from from was Dermacool (menthol in aqueous). Apparently there are two or three drugs that I could have tried if the Gabapentin hadn't worked. Fingers crossed it keeps that awful itching and burning at bay forever.
This stuff is aweful...almost worse than the itch and intensifies the pain 10 fold.
17 years I have been out of my mind with itchy arms I can not get a doctor to help .I'm told that my itchy arms and my neck have nothing to do with each other .so sick of doctors looking at me like I am crazy .I'm live in Massachusetts if anyone knows of a good doctor .
It is maddening isnt it...my primary care doctor has insisted I get a Psy eval...I hope she get it.
didday,
I went through the same thing with my doctor as well.
After years of creams and allergy medicine, I showed up one day and told him I have brachioradial pruritus.
He didn't believe me and went on to explain that the brachioradial is the muscle in you arm, and pruritus means itch. That is not a known condition he said.
I told him I am not leaving the exam room until he goes back to his office and researches it, and comes back with a treatment plan.
He came back 45 minutes later, agreed it is a real condition, and prescribed Nuerontin (Gabapentin). This has been a tremendous help.
It does not work for all, but it works great for me. It makes some folks drowsy, including me, so I only take it at night. It gets me through most days as well however. I feel your pain...ice packs at 3 AM suck....
I have (or had) BRP.  It was horrible.  I went to a chiropractor, told him my symptoms.  He told me it was due to my posture or leaning forward and mostly from sleeping on my side.  I hadn't even told him i sleep on my side.  so, he adjusted me, and i stopped sleeping on my side, and tried to have better posture.  Now, my brp is basically gone.  If i notice it now, i know that its just my posture, and i can fix that.  Worst case, i can go back to the chiro and have him adjust me again.  GO SEE A CHIRO!!   Stop with the bad posture and sleep on your back!!!
I am so happy to have stumbled across this site! People that don't have it just don't understand how maddening this is! I've had it for a few years and my friend, she is a nurse, said that she sees a lot of it at the Emergency room, when people come i with bloody arms. I will try he Capsaicin sp? cream for sure. I have tried essential oils mixed with coconut oil, that helped for a little while, but now it's back. I try with all my might to not scratch but man it's so hard not to!! At this point I will try anything to make this stop!!!!
Hello everyone my name is maria amber here is my contact ***@****,
I'am here to speak about the good work {Dr.aigboa} has done in my life, the man who cured me from scabies diseases, i got infected with the virus so i start searching for help.  
I was searching through the internet for help when i saw  comments of people speaking on how {Dr.aigboa} has help them cure scabies and other diseases, i didn't believe but i just choose to give Him a try and i contacted him through this e-mail (***@****) and i was told what to do and i did it.
To my greatest surprise after patiently going according to instruction given to me by this man called {Dr.aigbod} all the diseases disappear and i went for a medical test and the result was negative. I want to say thanks to Dr.aigboa, and God will bless you for the good work you are doing.

You can also contact this great and powerful man if you have any diseases on your body via his e-mail: ***@****
Everything has worked. I have had minimal episodes, but nothing like before.
Mobic is an anti inflammatory alone with  my prior post has really worked.
What I also discovered by my hand surgeon, is cocoa butter has removed most of my scarring. Honest.
I apply it 2-3 times a day
gabapentin, arm shaving to reduce irritation, and B-100. Give it a shot
OK - CURES!! After years of hell I got onto the Mayo clinic's treatment - a topical cream containing Ketamine, a potent anaesthetic, so use it very thinly!! Google the relevant article. Has to be prescribed by an anaesthetics specialist, in Australia at least. This worked brilliantly for over 2 years, but this low dosage was starting to wear off and doc was becoming concerned about possible liver damage from ketamine. THEN an even better breakthrough! Had been coincidentally taking  krill capsules 500 mg with fish oil for a couple of weeks for achy joints, when one night in bed realised I hadn't put the cream on and wasn't itching. So didn't put the cream on again the next night, and miracle of miracles, haven't itched since! Krill was the only thing different. Since taking these capsules I haven't had a SINGLE itch, when before, my life was becoming a torment! My doc said he was going to suggest this to other patients - fingers crossed this simple remedy will work for you!!
LGU
dear brachpruritiscured:  what type of doctor did you see at Mayo?  I have recently been associated with Mayo and was thinking about seeing a doc from there for BPR.  thanks --- glad to hear your better.  I have not tried Krill yet, but have tried everything else.
I found these posted comments after searching the internet trying to desperately find out what the heck is wrong with me. I went to my Doctor a few days ago because I literally could not take it anymore, I am a nurse in the ER and I was convinced I had contracted scabies or bugs or something bizarre effecting only my left upper arm. I have had this on and off in the past but it had never actually been a serious issue effecting my nightly sleep, etc, Thank You!! I am totally convinced this is somehow related to sun exposure. I am out almost every day in the summer months road biking/running, etc. I lift weights and have no cervical pain or history of issues with my C spine...I am going to try some of these suggested remedies and cover up!!
I believe I have brp-for two years now. It started in July 2014 after I herniated a disc in my lower back.  I didn't know why I was itching, I thought all the same things-scabies, bedbugs, mites, dry skin, liver problems.  None of the Drs I saw knew what I was talking about when I brought up brp.  After changing diet, trying every Otc cream, allergy pills, oils, only ice helps.  It is pure torture.  I am a 37 yr old male and I also have hypothyroidism, and anxiety.  I am going to try those Clorox wipes and if that doesn't work, capsaicin.  I hope that the medical field will start taking this problem seriously.
I cut the top off an old sock, slide my arm in and tuck an ice pack inside. It works marvelously. Sometimes I have one on both arms.
I am so happy that I came across this site. I have done google searches before on "itchy arms" & never came across until I was talking with a dermatologist about my symptoms & she said Brachioradial Pruitis.  I have tried most everything I knew. I have had symptoms for almost 20 years & have seen various Drs., specialist, & tried natural remidies.  Now I have a few more to try. Since starting to read blog, I feel hopeful to try some of these that have helped others. Mine started with maybe a one month episode the first year or two & had progressed to almost constant, just switching arms. Just saying I am happy to have a word for it & some new things to try.  
how do you infuse coconutoil with canabis?
I have also suffered with this condition for decades, though only on rare occasions.  I have a clicking in my back when in certain positions, so I know that something is askew in my spine.  Nothing worked to satiate the tingling in my arms for those aggravating 20-minute episodes - until now.  Having visited Colorado recently and returned home with a vape pen and some sativa cannabis cartridges, taking a few tokes from the pen, enough to get mildly high, made my forearm itch vanish within a few minutes.  I presume the THC (or other compounds) work to quiet the errant nerve activity in the brain and effectively cut off the signals before they can travel to the arms.  Say what you will about pot, but nature put it there for a reason, and it works for me.

I suspect it is the cannabis - not the coconut oil/butter - that is making the difference.  Take a trip, get some weed, inhale it to get it into your bloodstream instantly, and experience the sweet relief that I have.   Don't waste it smearing it on your arms, because you only THINK they are itching - it's the brain firing off signals, and it's those signals that need to be tamped down (I've had it in the back of my neck, too).  I've tried it all, from creams to ice water, with none of it working, so I know the gig.  Look at it this way: now you have a legitimate reason to get stoned.
I'm using Lidocaine patches on my arms, 12 hours on, 12 off. They are working amazingly well and allow me to actually sleep at night!!! Also, Aspercream with Lidocaine for day time flare ups.
I use Lidocaine patches as well and the aspercream with Lidocaine but the patches work best.  Do you use more than one patch at a time?  I only use one and it helps tremendously for sleep--it just does not necessarily calm down the other arm.  I read of a case where a woman had surgery and she found relief but this sounds too extreme for me except at night when I am itching so much I could cry.
Hello fellow BP sufferers.  Stumbled across this forum a week or so ago when my flare up was at its worst.  I'm happy to report I think I'm getting close to the end, again. I live in Wisconsin and have had these flare ups for many years but was first diagnosed 12/14.  When it returned this October I spent more time trying to figure out how this came about and what I can do to prevent future flare ups.  This is what I tried:  chiropractor for Atlas work, Advil 4 times a day, (I know this is too much), gold bond anti itch with menthol cream several times day, extreme posture (if this is due to a small pinched nerve I wanted to not hang my head forward as we all do when on iPad or our phones), neck exercises and ice, lots and lots of ice.  Seemed my problem was the absolute worst at night and I finally perfected leaving my ice bag right by my chair, as I knew I would wake up itching and need to go sit in my chair.  I have cut back on most everything except the cream
Thanks to all for the many comments here and the remedies tried.  I too have done many of these, having suffered this intermittently for the past 4 months, and now understand how some remedies work and others do not.  This article describes much of what I've read here and is the most informative one I've read on this ailment we share:  http://www.brachioradialpruritus.com/brp~what-is-the-cause-.html

Impingement of the nerves that come from the spine, particularly C-3-4, seem to be what causes the itching so chiropractic manipulation might be effective.  From what I've also read, the reason cold icepacks work is because the "cold" overrides the itch sensation that the brain processes.  I've found heat is what can prompt the itch cycle, so sun can be a factor and I've noticed if I'm sleeping on my side and my arm gets too warm, the ensuing itch will wake me up.

If ice is not an option to use if you're on the go, a product called Biofreeze which was mentioned in a previous post is excellent and stops the itch almost immediately.  It is menthol based which gives a cooling effect similar to ice and comes in a roll-on which is easily applied or gel tube.  Amazon sells it for about $10.  Hope this information helps.
Cervical traction with a home device (used in a horizontal body position) seems to relieve some of the pressure on cervical nerves. In addition, Lidocaine 5% patches (manufactured by Watson/Actavis Pharmaceuticals) placed each evening on shoulders and arms provide significant, beneficial, and effective relief. Patches are worn for 12 hours and help the BRP sufferer to sleep at night. The benefits seem to carry over into the following day. Lastly, Aspercream with 4% Lidocaine provides on-the-spot short term relief. Effective hygiene includes cool or cold showers with only Cetaphil used on arms and shoulders.
Sorry for the duplicate post but the second one contains more valuable and detailed information.
I have also suffered with this condition for decades, though only on rare occasions.  I have a clicking in my back when in certain positions, so I know that something is askew in my spine.  Nothing worked to satiate the tingling in my arms for those aggravating 20-minute episodes - until now.  Having visited Colorado recently and returned home with a vape pen and some sativa cannabis cartridges, taking a few tokes from the pen, enough to get mildly high, made my forearm "itch" vanish within a few minutes.  I presume the THC (or other compounds) work to quiet the errant nerve activity in the brain and effectively cut off the signals before they can travel to the arms.  Say what you will about pot, but nature put it there for a reason, and it works for me.
I have suffered from BRP for about 20 yrs. For the longest time there wasn't a doctor that could tell me what the problem was. I'm not sure if it is the sun that affects me as I am a sun worshipper, or if it comes from my cervical and lumbar spine neuropathy. It started when I lived in Fla. It starts around the end of August and goes on until March or April every year. It drives me insane especially at night. There are nights where I don't sleep at all. I scratch the blood out of my arms. The only relief I have found it freezing my arms with ice, I have also used Capsaicin cream that makes my arms burn which is a welcome relief from itching.
I have used Capsaicin cream and it gives some relief. It burns especially if I have been scratching my arms. The burning is a welcome relief from the itching to me.
Fourth Chinese acupuncture treatment today.  Itching decreased by 50%
I've been suffering for about 17 months now and had resorted to taking ice packs to bed with me. A week ago I started taking a high dose Vit B complex and I realised a couple of days ago that I'm not itching at night at all at the moment. Maybe a coincidence, but I'm pretty excited about it at the moment!
These comments have relieved my mind about the itching that I have been having. I recently spent a lot of time in the sun on vacation so I am convinced that this is what triggered the itching. Googled my problem and came across this chat session. It has answered a lot of my questions as I was thinking of what might have caused this. I have had many sleepless nights. Took a Benedryl pill yesterday and that seemed to help for awhile. However, it made me sleepy so I would not take it during the day. I am going to try some remedies that have been  suggested here. Thank you all for these suggestions and for sharing your problem with others who are also suffering from this annoying condition.
It's the beginning of a New year 2016....and this itching started about 8 mos ago. It hasn't gotten any better w/the weather change, that I'm aware of. I still go crazy itching...and run for the ice pack/s. My itching occurs mostly on my left upper arm, shoulder and back by my underarm. I was in a car accident 30 yrs ago and "broke" my neck, had what I think was either C4-5 or C5-6 fused, and then in halo brace for 6 mos. After all my research, I'm sure that what I have is Brachioradial Pruritis, and have yet to spend time going to a Dr., because I have limited gov't insurance & a general physician who is unaware of BRP. So where do I start? I was thinking about getting y x-rays of neck from hospital and copying info off internet about this condition to educate him, so that he can refer me to a chiropractor possibly, if my insurance will approve me so many visits with a DC. Seems as if any other kind of Dr., really would be a waste of time since there is no cure. Has anyone had any luck with osteopaths and just wondering if anyone has any info on how to proceed with getting help, with limited funds....before my arms turn to leather and/or simply lose it!?! Thanks in advance for your help!
I did not get any help from an osteopath, but they again he just did a quick 5 minute adjustment and prescribed me a ton of medication and told me to see a neurologist ( I actually asked him to get me something to help me sleep). I've also seen two chiropractors and it did lessen the itch but it came back within a few days. i don't think its coming from my neck but for you maybe it will help
Also,, can chiropractic care help. If I tell the chiropractor that I have a compressed nerve in my neck as I can't find a DC that is aware of this condition...can they give me some relief. I found one DC that says he has heard of the condition and would offer me cold laser treatments. Has anyone heard of this as a possible solution?
Hi.  I am new to this forum.  I was so desperate when I was in A flare last month.  I was up to 9 gabapentin and creams.   I saw the new Terrasil SHINGLES cream at Walgreens and it is all natural.  I had nothing to lose.  It doesn't stop the pain and itching, but it DID SOOTH it and helped a bunch!   I keep it with me at all times now.  
I just ran across this site but wanted to tell you I can't eat fruit!  It makes me itch horribly. I eat it only a little at a time because I love it. But I stay away from it if I can. High sugar really sets my itch off bad.
I am unbelievably grateful to have come across this site.  
Every year when the weather gets warm I begin to itch uncontrollably.  It lasts for a week or two and then subsides. But will often return on a later date. I have L4 L5 disk problems so the nerve connection makes sense to me.  Now I have information that I can  use to help treat this "mystery aliment" doctors have said I have.  To help the only thing that has works is  Benadryl Itch cooling spray.  I keep it in the refrigerator so it feels cold when I apply it. It helps for a while when I'm trying to get to sleep.
I have been coping with this since October 2015. Not sure if this is what I have but it is the closest I have come to an explanation. I have been to 3 dermatologist, a neurologist and a neuro surgeon plus all the tests. In addition to the itching I have a burning and stinging in my arm that is worse than the itching. Very painful. Has anyone else experienced this? My MRI does show several pinched nerves in my neck but I do not experience pain in neck or any shooting pain down my arm. Thank you in advance for any additional information you can provide.

Marleen
I feel an itch deep in the muscle running down from my shoulders to my forearm. If I massage it it feels as if I am scratching an itch. I have severe stenosis narrowing of the spinal canal, C5-6-7. I am looking into surgery. My problem seems to start Sept - Oct, last couple years.
I had this problem for YEARS! I have been going to an osteopath, who has been working on my neck, for about 3 months. Yay! The itching has gone!
LGU
Update,  i have been seeing chiro that
specializes in neck and axis positioning.   I also bought a traction device (from Amazon), wraps around neck and elongates.   This has helped immensely,  I use it twice a day for 10 minutes.  So far, so good.   Best $30 bucks ever spent.   it has been quite some time.   Hopefully it continues to work.

best
LGU
Hi LGU, please give the name of the traction device from Amazon, or more specific information on it so others can try.
Hi, I have had Brachioradial Pruritus for several years, and have been prescribed many topical creams over the years until I found an allergist who diagnosed it and order the only rx that works for it.  They is one that works wonders for me. Betamethasone topical,
generic name Diprosone.
Ahhh, Summer in central Ohio!  I am pleased/terrified to see it arrive.  I love Summer.....but I know my BRP will soon be with me as an annual, uninvited guest who stays far too long and is much too disruptive!
Last year I tried to be very aggressive in managing, mitigating, beating back the problem with Chiro adjustments, acupuncture, laser treatments of the area, gabapentin po and topical, bio-freeze, postural supports, sleeping with only a 3 inch diameter neck roll--no pillow--to avoid bad positioning of my neck.
Really, the best thing for me seems to be TENS--transdermal electric stimulation.  You can buy a unit for about $35 that has an ac adapter or battery option.  I position the pads based on where I believe the primary nerve over-activity is occurring.  Usually one on upper arm and one one forearm.  I plug it in at night to allow me to sleep, and just use the battery when up and about during the day.  It is a bit of a hassle, but gives me as much relief as ice it seems without the mess.  Plus the TENS is a great device for other aches and pains, too.
I made my own topical gabapentin as the commercially available one is custom made and horribly expensive.  I do not like taking it po, so will try the DIY topical again this year.
The acupuncture I had was not directly into my arms.  I may give that a try this year.  I am so grateful that I do not suffer with this throughout the year, but am sad to be at a point where I dread Summer......  Oh, the joys of living a long active life.  I will be talking with Dr about some of the other meds reported here to give some relief.  We just have to keep trying, don't we?!?!?
I went to Mayo Clinic for this problem just yesterday.  He prescribed a topical steroid called Clobetasol Propionate .05% cream which is to be used once weekly.  He also prescribed a compound lotion which they had to make at the Mayo Pharmacy which consists of AMIT 2%, ketamine 5% and lidocaine 5%.  Fair notice, insurance didn't cover this last one and it was $175.  They said it wasn't covered because it is a compound and so not on any lists of approved meds.  

I have had this for approx. 20 years normally starting in Aug and ending in Dec.  This year it's started up in May.  Like most of you, I have tried everything I can think of.  Sarna really doesn't work well for me...some relief but not much.  Aspercreme with Lidocaine works the best.  Spray Benadryl works somewhat too.  

He also suggested using Blue Lizard sunscreen for sensitive skin (available at Amazon with great reviews) and Olay Quench body wash (also Amazon).

It's too soon to know how well this will work but at 175 for one of them, I sure hope it does.  If it does, I can have it made up and sent by Mayo at Rochester directly to me.  At that price, I sure hope this lasts longer than I suspect it will using it 3 times a day.
I too suffered from this horribly for several very long years.  Probably due to some damage suffered during a herniated disc episode in my neck that had to be surgically fixed. All is well with that now but the itching was horrible.

Lyrica worked at first for me but down the road, I read good info that stated that Lyrica and Gabapentin would stop your brain from forming any new synapsis and I sure did not want that.

So I suffered.  until I just happened to decide to go low carb and eat all clean foods as well.  Went to a whopping total of 30-40 carbs a day for a month.  Without expecting it in the least, it stopped my BRP at about day 5-6.  Stopped it cold.  During one of the worst runs of it I had had in a long time. Also stopped my restless leg syndrome.  Now I can eat 70-80 carbs a day and not have a return of the symptoms.  But I still choose to eat my carbs in the most healthy way I can, by mostly veggies and limited fruit.  Never grains, rarely beans or potatoes.  But I won't say never, cause I might be in the situation where that is all I have to eat.

I hope others who have not found relief will at least give this a serious attempt. It is good for your health in so many ways.  A book that helped me along the way is The Grain Brain by Dr David Purlmutter, MD.  A world class, well respected neurologist who knew many of his patients would improve if they only improved their diet.  Plus the man is a genius in explaining exactly how our bodies manage carbs and how it is not the preferred fuel for our bodied
I've been doing a paleo diet for two years and my itching is worse this year then ever. I'm going on 3 months of not sleeping and loosing my mind. Wish this had worked for me
I started itching 6 months ago!  For those who have been suffering longer, I am so sorry!

I have gone to 5 dermatologists. The first 3 were completely clueless! #4 who is a resident actually mentioned the possibility. I saw #5 today after waiting over a month for this appointment. He confirmed what #4 suggested. He suggested over the counter in US Capsaicin Cream (contains  chili peppers) 3 times a day until the burning from the chili peppers is gone. Then use 1x a day for life.

He explained that the nerves are sending messages that I  have been bitten by a insect. The cream is suppose to confuse and clam the nerve until it no longer responds as  if I were bitten.

Warning: the cream burns and itches but compared to the other itching the burning from the chili is welcomed!
I to have this condition and have been suffering for about ten years now!!!!!! It always starts around May and will continue through octoberish. I live in Texas and believe it comes about during the warmer, humid months of the year. Ice treatments are the only thing that I have found for relief. I basically plan not to sleep for the summer months. I will also run my forearms under extremely hot water to the point of almost scalding for relief.
Some folks feel like sun exposure causes their condition.  My feeling is the sun is definitely not the cause but yes it does heat up our skin and increases the skins sensitivity and consequently itching will increase from heating up but is not the underlying cause. Whereas applying ice packs limit skin sensations and helps relieve itching.  So it's the heating of your sensitive skin that only increases already itchy skin.
After doing alot of research into this...im pretty sure this is what i have as well...i didvthe lotions...no creams or prescriptions due to the fact i cant afford to go the doctor...but i notice that a strong calming lotion as eucerin or cetaphil works...im also a chef by occupation and i was at work breading some green tomatoes for a dinner i was doing...i dont normally eat raw tomato but something told me to try it...i did...and moments later itching subsided...but let me be a little p.c....my itching could be little psychosomatic as well cause with deep concentration it also subsides...but raw green tomato seemed to have subsided the itching...try it...it seemed to work!!!
I had brachioradial pruritis a couple of times that lasted a few months each time.   Lost a lot of sleep. I'm female, late 40s (perimenopause).  Well l.5 yrs ago I was finally diagnosed with low thyroid after years of not being able to get out of bed in the am.  Well I don't know why, or if it was coincidence, but when I started the thyroid within a week I noticed my nightly pruritis had stopped!.  It has not come back yet, so wondering if the thyroid had anything to do with it, or the thyroid corrected something else that had something to do with it.  Again might have just been a fluke, and it might come back some day....Also, I did find toward the end of my last case of RBP, before I went on thyroid, that gabapentin was effective for me. So when I couldn't sleep I would resort to that medication. I asked for it from my doctor because I finally realized that it was a nerve thing and not an external skin thing.  the best topicals I found for me were Capzacin (sp) cream and pure tea tree oil.   But they can burn if your skin is too raw from scratching.  Good luck all and maybe check your thyroid for the hell of it, mine was finally diagnosed with a 24 hour urine test.  Blood did NOT pick it up!  
I had itchy arms and heard it could be from a pinched nerve in my neck.  I went for an MRI of my neck. I found out I had spinal compression in my 4th and 5th virdabrae which was pinching the nerves that go to the arms. I had to have surgery. After the surgery my itchy arms completely went away. I would check out the reason for your pitched nerve with a MRI. It might be fixed with physical therapy which exercises stretch the neck so the nerve is not being pinched.    I would suggest getting a MRI before going to a chiropractor Just in case.
I have this pruritis and I have c5-c6 bulging discs. Itching is insane and neurontin is barely holding it at bay. My neck Doctor reluctant to fix discs just because my arm itches. He wants me to get another opinion. Did you have discs removed?
I could not stand the burn absolutely horrible.
Well I've has bracheradial puritus off and on for over 36yrs and may have recently found a cream that works. I have tried everything, and I mean everything including every neurological nerve meds know to man, along with ice packs and acupuncture and ice packs are the only thing that works.
Take this with a grain of salt because I don't know if this is because I am at the end of my itch cycle but the cream I started using for my tendonitis works for my itch.
I have 98% relief for over 2 weeks now. PENETREX is available on Amazon or direct from the mfg and is over the counter.
I HAVE NEVER HAD A CREAM WORK FOR MY SEVERE ITCHING until 2 weeks ago. All I can say is it comes with a 100% money back guarantee and I just ordered 2 more tubs. Simply amazing or maybe psychological... who knows. It's worth trying.
PENETREX  cream has given me relief for the first time in 3 months..... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT HELPS!!!
Just getting in on this question.  I too am suffering with BRP.  The dermatologist has never actually called it that.  I have tried everything.  Do others have paper thin skin?  I can barely scrape my arm and it will peel back, bleed and turn purple.  I am sitting here prickling and itching while writing this.  Just wish there was some kind of hope.
Gabapentine seems to help! !
I had this insane itch for a few years back and in all my attempts was able to get rid of it. It came back this year and misery. This time I knew the cause and went for the sure thing that works. I visited my chiropractor who specializes in Atlas Orthogonal alignment and he instantly stopped me scratching... again. But it does linger around. When you have a nerve that's being pinched, it's not going to heal instantly. But releasing the pinch begins the heal. I purchased a neck traction device online and the thing is amazing. Basically it makes you stand up straight, by your head/neck. OK, here's some proof it's a pinched nerve that's causing your itch. As you read this, stand up. Now stand up military style. Really stand tall, lift your head so that it goes thru the roof, literally. Do it now. If you're not close to being tip toe, then you're not lifting your head enough. If you want this itch gone, then use your muscles and lift your head higher than you've ever lifted it. See, your itch calms significantly. Now buy an inflatable neck traction device, they're $7, what's to lose. Throw your shoulders back and stand tall, your itch will be gone very soon. Other stuff I used that really helped was Clorox Disinfectant wipes in the yellow container. No other brand.
Sitting up and stretching my neck as far as I could really did lessen the itch. Do you think a teeter would help by hanging upside down and stretching your spine?
I have heard on the BBC radio programme Health Matters that the only reliable effective treatment for symptoms of BRP is a topical cream called Pramasone 2.5%.  I cannot get this in the UK but would welcome any feedback from sufferers who have used this anywhere else.  I too am a sufferer, same symptoms, same timing, same relief from ice alone.  If this works I really would like to get hold of it.
Hi every one, I have been dealing with BRP for over 40 years now, as long as I recall I was about 10 years old when I first experienced the crazy itching, I remember being in the shower and rubbing my shoulder with a wet towel my shoulder would get so red that one would think that I had sun burn.  Long story short, it start every year around end of September and last until March, nothing during spring or summer and I spend a lot of time outside and dont cover my arm from the sun, so I'm very skeptic that this will be sun related otherwise it would itch all summer long.  But I had issue with the C4-C5 and few months ago I was diagnosed a L4-L5 discal hernia after I could barely stand for a couple of days.  The other evening while watching the Baseball world series I experienced one of the worst itching episode in a long time, it last about 3 hours but very intense.  Last night I had one of the worst night ever it kept itching so I keep waking up.  I'm really fed up of this crap BRP but every time I spoke to Doctor about the itching they think you need psychologic evaluation.  The only think that has  work for me so far is the ice pack, but I'm going to take car of this now, I cant take it anymore, I have a great life but this alone is a joy breaker as it drive me nuts.  Thanks every one for sharing experience and treatment.
I'd like to share my insight into BRP. I'm a 30 year old white male, going on almost 10 years of this seemingly seasonal, insane itch. I havnt noticed it every year since I first noticed it, this year has by far been the most severe. I've never had any serious head, neck, back injuries or surgeries. I've had some sunburn on my body, including forearms in my life.. maybe quite a bit, but not as much as someone who lived in a warm area and spent tons of time on the beach.

I have always held tension and had strong anxiety, probably relating back to emotional insecurity habits started in childhood. I've always been a bit quiet and shy, and probably "held in" a lot of mental and physical things. I noticed recently I've had Forward Head Posture for a long time in my life, meaning I did not have proper posture in how I held my head on my shoulders. I developed snoring, which became sleep apnea, low back tension, and cervical spine tension. I imagine as I held my head forward throughout life the rest of my spine gradually started to clench to compensate for the improper posture near the neck.

Now, back to BRP. I've tried creams, I've tried scratching, I've done the ice packs. I want to CURE, not TREAT this madness, as we all do. I began to start with proper head and neck posture, making sure my, particularly my C5-C7 vertebrae were not bunched up and compressed. I began proper diaphragm breathing, in through the nose, and also out through the nose (to simultaneously help with anxiety and sleep apnea). I noticed an IMMEDIATE relief in my anxiety, my mental pace, and my airway blockage. I began doing certain cervical spine yoga stretch routines and noticed an IMMEDIATE relief in BRP symptoms.

Yes, as you begin to correct your posture your upper back and shoulder muscles have to work in new ways, and can get fatigued. When I need to rest I lay flat on my back, no pillow, with my head in the same posture I work on while sitting and standing. I breath deeply into this feeling and try to release as much as possible.

I have focused on my posture while driving, sleeping, sitting, typing, standing, and even how I look at my cell phone and tablet devices. I hold them up to my eyes, rather than drop my head down to them.

Chin tucked, back of the skull lifts, drop your shoulders down and back. You don't want a perfectly straight spine, a gentle concave curve is normal. If posture has been causing your BRP, like I believe it has for me, you will notice a larger than normal knot around your C5-C7 vertebrae, basically between the tops of your shoulders. Look at yourself in the mirror from the side, do you resemble the hunchback of notre dame a bit? :) I know I did (I say this somewhat exaggeratedly).

Whether your are into spirituality, yoga, eastern medicine energy thoughts or not, you WILL notice circulation sensations reaching EXACTLY where the BRP itch is when you start to correct your posture. This is your body telling you you are on the right track!

Let your belly hang out, its beautiful, I've got one! Lift your chin, let your chest proudly go out, release all your held tension that isnt necessary for standing up. Breath at an even pace, do all your activities at an even pace (other than exercise) and keep your posture in check throughout the day, constantly!

I've noticed better circulation, less obstructed airways, and best of all, relief to my damned itchy arms.

Posture is key, especially in our head region. Our heads are essentially 11 or so lb bowling balls resting on a delicate stick. Even just slightly having our head forward, over time, many years/decades, will gradually stress the neck and back out a LOT. We also drive and sit at desks a lot in our society, this adds to this unhealthy habit.

Every doctor I went to didnt know jack about BRP and wouldnt acknowledge it. They insisted it was eczema, dry skin, allergies. I have incredibly oily skin and my doctor still tried to convince me I had dry skin. Creams that will destroy your skin if you use them for too long are NOT the answer. They only treat anyway, not cure.

If you live in a state where medical or recreational cannabis has been approved, look into CBD creams, pills, tincture. It's the NON-PSYCHOACTIVE ingredient in marijuana responsible for muscle relaxation, anxiety and mental mood boost, and even anti-inflammatory properties. It does NOT get you high like the famed THC chemical does. This will help with muscle relaxation as you rest and hold your posture. Remember to breathe evenly.
If anyone would like links to the youtube videos I use for cervical spine and posture correction; be it stretches, strengthening exercises, or general information on how to recognize what you need to work on in those regions let me know. Or type "cervical spine yoga" into youtube.
Again I should ALSO mention that massage and acupuncture are great for helping "catch up" on releasing years of tension. A regular stretching/yoga routine not just relating to cervical spine is good. And of course good, regular exercise and diet can only help matters.

A lot of us are stressed in life, whether we realize it or not. Whether it causes obvious mental symptoms or not.  It's easy to allow posture to slip without realizing it.

Please consider that treating the arms is not the source of the itch, though it manifests there. Our nerves are linked to our spine, and the brain tells the spine to send signals to these nerves. If you have not had a serious injury and still have this insane itch, look at your spine and see if there's attention needed there. There may be no "cure" a doctor can prescribe, but you CAN cure this condition I believe by adjusting your overall posture and health. I have not yet fully cured this, as these are more recent realizations of mine. But I've noticed much relief already. I'll keep posting as I progress!
I dont mean to totally bash on the creams the doctors will give you. In SHORT TERM they can provide immediate relief as you sort out the true source of the problems. I use them as an emergency when my itch gets its most intense and I just need to sleep or let my mind relax. I rarely use them, and have needed them less as I work on posture and circulation/stretching. But it may be wise to have some pharmaceutical creams at hand for emergencies. I have triamcinolone acetonide and a perscription strength hydrocortisone.

these wont cure it but will provide emergency relief. But theyre not a long term solution! Theyre not safe long term and your doctor will tell you that.

Gabapentin supposedly helps some people, my doc wouldnt give me that. It may be a wise temporary emergency solution as well.

Posture may not be everyones true cause of BRP but I feel its mine, and may be for many others. Also please dont do the stretches and exercises I do if you have had serious injuries or surgeries as again, I have been lucky to NOT have any of those in my life. My BRP seemingly "came out of nowhere" but my anxiety and posture have always been issues.