Dermatology Expert Forum
Apparent Chafing in groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Apparent Chafing in groin area

After getting out of the shower this morning, I noted some pain in the area best described as the "crease between my right leg and groin."  Upon inspection, I noticed that there was a lot of surface redness and a couple of places that appeared to be "tears" in the skin.  This area extends from the area about two inches north of my anus up to the top edge of my pubic bone.

I must preface this with my concern over the last few days that I had been exposed to and STD (received a hand job and kissing from a stripper, no oral sex and no vaginal contact - striclty between closthes except her hand under my underwear), and have been inspecting myself nightly for obvious issues.

I saw a doctor at Urgent Care today who specialized in STDs who said that it was just a rash, and that it didn't look like anything (I asked if it could be herpes).

My questions is this, if this is just chafing or some kind of rash - what is the most likely cause?  Can you tear your skin through inspection?  I have multiple small tears along the crease, and the doc indicated that I should just use a powder or cream.  Additionally, any reason to believe that this is more than a rash?  It doesn't hurt unless I touch the open skin (no blisters or anything that looks more than a scrape).

Thanks in advance
I agreer with the doctor who examined you.  Yes, you can get chafing from close inspection, because that involves rubbing and poking, both of which can occur through clothes.  I advise you to follow the doctor's advice and let things improve on their own.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the quick response.  My sense is that if this were a herpse break out, I would know it (from everything I have read - this is one of the most painful experiences of your life and it doesn't hurt or itch at all).  It looks worse today (very red and lots of streaking, but looks like it is healing), I think hrepes breakouts last more than 24 hours.

Follow up question would be one that I forgot to include, if herpes were transmitted from one individual to another through skin to skin contact (given that you need all of the right conditions like mucos etc.), would the herpes outbreak occur at the point of infection?  Meaning, if you were only touched on your penis, is there possibility that the outbreak would show up elsewhere on your body?

Thanks again, just trying to set my mind at ease on this.
A related discussion, chafing was started.
A related discussion, severe dry skin was started.