Dermatology Expert Forum
Arm Bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Arm Bumps

Hello Doc

I am a woman in my late 20's and have had small, red, dry bumps (that dont itch, but are similar to whiteheads) on my upper arm for most of my life. I have tried estringents, lotions, creams, scrubbing, exfoliation, etc... Any suggestions or cures?
Thanks!
Mel:

You most likely have keratosis pilaris, a hereditary condition in which bumps of keratin protein congregate on the skin of the outer upper arms.  If they bother you, try using a Buf Puf or loofah and scribbing the arms for 20 seconds after a shower each day.  If that doesn't help, your doctor may be able to prescribe a mild exfoliant.  But whatever works, you need to keep up, at least intermittently; that's just how your skin is built.

Best.

Dr. R
I have the same thing and I hate it!  I've tried everything, too.  Sometimes you can actually squeeze the bumps and they are like whiteheads.  The only thing that kind of makes them go away is if you lay out in the sun.  A dermatologist once prescribed Lachydrin cream, but it didn't work.
I know exactly what you mean.  I have the exact same thing.  No one I have talked to know what to do.
I know what you're talking about also. For what it's worth, I use a product called Alpha Hydrox at 8% strength glycolic acid and I apply it once or twice a day and it has lessened, but not eliminated, those bumpy things.
I think I found the answer.  CLEARASIL Vanishing Cream has taken it almost totally away.  I tried it the other day and when I woke up it was barely there anymore.  Use it morning and night.

Good Luck
I have this condition also as do most of the women in my family.  My three year old daughter also is getting it on her arms.  My dermatoligist told me it's a hereditary condition that you can't do much about.  She prescribed LacHydrin cream.  It helps a little.  Condition is a little better in the summer.
I have had this same stuff for about 20 years, and I have used everything I could get my hands on to get rid of it. Nothing works.. If anyone has any more suggestions please let me know I would just one time like to wear a sleeveless shirt or dress comfortably. This is a very embarassing condition. I have no hope of ever getting rid of it. There hasn't been a doctor yet to tell me what it was.
I have the same thing also, only it is also on my chest a little.
I tried that lachydrin cream and it made me break out really bad with red rash. I stoped using that. I spray body splash on my arms and it seems to help a little by drying it out, but my chest is a different story, i dont know what to do about that.
I have had them for years.  I also find they go away when I lay in the sun.  However, I began putting plain body lotion on my arms and it helps.  I hardly have them anymore.
Help, I have those same bum! I am 28 and they started when I was 25. My older brother got them when he was in his mid-20s too. They are so unattractive.
I went to the dermatologist for the same thing....he said over half the population has this...he told me to use a lotion called Am Lactin 12%.....
It is available over the counter..
My family doctor prescribed Retin A daily, in conjunction with Lachydrin twice daily. I confess that I only apply Lachydrin once each day, and Retin A before bed every night. After 2 weeks I don't see any improvement but I'll stick with it.

An esthetician told me to exfoliate weekly with salt in olive oil, but she said it would take 6 months to work and I couldn't stick with it that long.
I've had these bumps since my 20's also. People who touch or come close enough to me say "oh, you have goose bumps", I reply, "something like that". Now I just say, "some skin disease."  

Does anyone else have these bumps on the back of their thighs?
I have had these most of my life also.  I have the compulsion to squeeze the bumps.  Does anyone else do that.  Lac hydrin helps slightly.
You think you people have it bad? I not only have these red bumps on my triceps but I am also naturaly prone to Streach marks:( I wish I could just pull my skin  off an put a new one on:(
hi...well you pepole think you have it bad? I have it not only on the back of my arms but on the back of my thighs,side of my hips, and on the insid eof my knees... and i thought it was pimples but i guess not... because in the summer time its not there at all and my skin is perfect but when winter comes its there.... WHAT CAN I DO? ITS EMBARASSING!!!!
Thanks for the input.  My Dad got them when he went on blood pressure medicine. He's always picking at them, I swear I'll never do that.  My sister got them after the birth of her first child, I got them after the birth of my first child. Sigh. I'll try the Clearsil, that seems to be the easiest. I also got them on my upper thighs.  I will say that they are not as noticeable to me on other people, so take heart, I am sure we each notice them more than anyone else does.
In response to squeesing them, oh my gosh..............I have mutilated my upper arms from attacking these "things" I've developed about 3 years ago, I'm 28 now.  They are just like little pimples/ white heads but lots of them. I would give anything to get rid of them and the scars that I've created from popping them every single day!
Hi. I just recently went to a beach and spent over 5hours in the sun. I just discovered little bubbles on my arm - on the top half. There clear and burn. When I pop them a liquid come out- but not too much. It is starting to burn really bad. What do you think it is?
You think you have it that bad.. Well ever since I can remember Ive had these bumps. Ive always thought it was hereditory because my mom has it, my aunts have it, even my cousin, brother, and sister have a little bit on their arms and other parts of the body. But I have them on my cheeks going into my neck, a little on my ears, on my front upper arms, a little all over my back going into my stomach, and a little spread all over my legs. I use to hate it. And still think it is very unattractive. I always thought I wouldnt find that person that loved me as a their girlfriend.. For who I am and not for what I have on my skin. Now Ive found love and he loves me regardless. But I am still jealous of all the fair babysoft skin people. Lol! Im going to try all the recommendatios on this site.
A related discussion, i need help with this was started.
A related discussion, skin condition was started.
A related discussion, procedures was started.
A related discussion, arm bumps was started.
A related discussion, white bumps on arms/chest/legs spreading was started.
A related discussion, How to get rid of bumpy skin? was started.
A related discussion, What are these little bumps on my arms was started.
A related discussion, yeah was started.
A related discussion, Psoriasis of the scalp? was started.
A related discussion, bumps on the arm was started.
A related discussion, Red bumps on Arms was started.
A related discussion, small bumps on upper arms - a different possibility was started.
OMG I ALSO HAVE IT! Tried everything and only had luck with one product. COR soap works if you can afford it. I purchased it 4 my face, but if u are like me, you always try any new product out on your bumpies 2 (just n case it might work)
Nothing wrong with hanging on to hope.lol
COR WORKS IF U USE IT EVERYDAY WHEN U SHOWER.
I have the same thing and recently started using Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion from the Body Shop. My dad brought it from overseas but when it worked I found I could order it. It tended to dry my skin out a little so I started putting Emu oil on first and tea tree over it. I've had really good results. It's not entirely gone but way better and less noticeable. I don't know if that helps at all, but I hope someone might benifit from it.
I have this also on the upper part of my arms and on the upper front of my legs so wearing shorts and short sleeves are unbearable. A friend of mine told me that body washes with the little wash beads in them are good because they help exfoliate the skin and she said she has little to none when she uses that and she recommended washing with it once or twice a week. Besides that it's a cheaper way to get minimize them considering you can pick some up at any drug store. I'm gonna try some that is by neutrogena that is also for acne.  
I have the same thing and I notice that when I go to bed in just my underwear and a tank top, they are gone in the morning. This may sound wierd but I think that my legs and arms just need to ventilate . I wear jeans and long sleeve shirts alot. Maybe this will work for someone else as well
A related discussion, Bumps on back of arms and legs was started.
well im a 15 year old dude and i have these on my arms alot, when i got my electric razor i was just effin around and seein what i could shave and found out that you can actually SHAVE thses little bastards off, it worked for me flawlesly id suggest you try it, but use an electric razor its just saffer that way.
They're annoying, for starters, but its a condition in which, when ur skin isn't exfoliating properly, hair follicles can become clogged with debris like dead skin cells, sweat nd oil. Dissolve buildup with a topical exfoliating cream that contains urea, glycolic or alpha hydroxy acid. (Try; DERMAdoctor KP Duty Moisturizer, $36, derma doctor.com) I know right, kinda pricey.. but i have actually been dying to use this. So if anybody decides to try it, plz let us know how it works.. I think i speak for all of us when i say, i wish i could just buy something that will actually make them go away!.. I hope whoever tries it out gets good  results.. & good luck to everyone else.. & remember... dont let them bring u down.. :)
I used to have KP but then I did everything I can to get rid of it by putting any types of cream didnt work then finally I was tired and sick of it worrying too much I focused myself getting fit and healthy eat clean and eat more antioxidant foods. Working out and sweat a lot helps to replenish your skin. I saw an improvement in my skin when I started to eat clean and exercise. Get lesser bump in my arms. I think we just need to change our lifestyle and our foods
I have the same thing, and also on the outer part of my thighs.  It totally drives me in sane. The thing I noticed is I dnt have them to much in the summer.  I'm thinking its a little on the dry skin side.
A related discussion, I had it ever since I was in middle school was started.