Arm Rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Arm Rashes

Hello, my little sister has these rashes on both of her antecubital regions. The rashes extend below and above the antecubital and create large ovals on both arms. The rash color is dark brown to dark purplish and almost appears as a large hematoma at times. She says it itches her sometimes.

One doctor said it was due to her asthma which I didn't believe for one second while another doctor said it was probably a fungal infection and prescribed an antifungal cream. She's been using the antifungal cream for 6 months and I haven't noticed any changes.

I'm extremely concerned and we don't know what else to do. Please help. Thank you.

From the symptoms the possibilities of erthrasma and lichen planus need to be ruled out. Eryhrasma is a benign condition caused by bacterial infection. The standard therapy of erythrasma is antibiotics and antifungals because it is caused by a bacteria C minutissimum.Erythromycin is the drug of choice.

Mild steroids are helpful in reducing the inflammation associated with it. But use it only after a dermatologist’s prescription and once the diagnosis is confirmed.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.