Armpit Irritation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Armpit Irritation

8210681?1344218190
Hello. I am hoping someone can help me. I have been experiencing a terrible irritation/rash underneath my armpits that started out as making my skin feel like it was burning or on-fire sometimes with or without deodorant applied to the area. The skin underneath my arm was not only burning but also peeling, inflamed & changing color from translucent gray to dark blackish-brown.  I was told by a dermatologist to change to a natural deodorant like "Arm & Hammer", "Tom's", or a "spay powder deodorant".  I tried going from an antiperspirant to a topical steroid w/baby powder, which was prescribed by a dermatologist.  It seems to help for a while, but with the weather being so hot (btwn. 98 to over 100 degrees) & I dripped w/perspiration all day & it became difficult to function with the smell of perspiration growing throughout the day. However, as soon as I started using the Tom's deodorant, it helped somewhat with a little of the excessive odor, but the perspiration & irritation of almost a foaming white would appear after application underneath my armpit. If I try to reapply the Tom's deodorant (w/out washing during the day), it still foams & has an odor reoccur. - What should I do?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
The skin in the armpit is normally darker than the rest of the skin. It is common amongst those who use any method of hair removal from their armpits. Hair removal creams generally contain chemicals which damages your skin making it darker. Shaving hair from the armpit also makes the skin tougher and darker. Any allergy, inflammation or infection can lead to such type of rash in the armpit. An external examination is very important for correct diagnosis. Seek the opinion of a dermatologist. That will definitely be helpful. I do hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Possibly Acanthosis nigricans and skin tags. associated with obesity.Rule out diabetes. Reduce weight.