Armpit Itch with no apparent rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Armpit Itch with no apparent rash

I have had itching only in my armpit area for the last 8 months.  My doctor originally prescribed Clortrimazole with Betamethazone Diprionate (sp?).  It eliminated the itching within minutes of applying it and I used it faithfully for several days as prescribed.  However within 2 to 3 days of stopping using it, the itching returned.  I continued to apply it then stop and the itching would come and go every time I stopped using it.  I've never had a visible rash, no bumps.  I switched deodorant to an unscented roll on, I tried using just powder, medicated powder...nothing works.  My doctor has now prescribed hydrocortisone cream 0.2% but it doesn't help at all!
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Tags: Itching

This could be sweat dermatitis, folliculitis, allergic reaction. In most individuals there are outbreaks of folliculitis from time to time.

Folliculitis is infection and inflammation of the hair follicles. The condition may be superficial (i.e., on the surface of the skin) or deep within the follicles.The most common cause of folliculitis is infection by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Folliculitis symptoms can appear independent of infection. Exposure of the skin to certain chemicals, especially oils and tars, can trigger an outbreak. People with depressed immune systems, diabetes, or obesity have a greater risk of contracting folliculitis than the general population.

Patients with chronic unresponsive folliculitis may require investigation into the source of the infection. S. aureus bacteria can live in the patient's nostrils, periodically triggering a folliculitis outbreak.

Individuals who are predisposed to folliculitis should be extremely careful about personal hygiene. Application of antiseptic washes may help prevent recurrences. A topical antibiotic cream, mupirocin (Bactroban®), has been effective at reducing bacterial colonization in the nostrils. It is applied twice daily for a week and is repeated every 6 months.

If there any of the mentioned medical causes then treating those will reduce the occurence of the condition.
http://www.dermatologychannel.net/follicle/folliculitis.shtml

Some stubborn cases of folliculitis have been responsive to laser-assisted hair removal. This process uses a laser to destroy the follicle. This reduces the scarring that results from folliculitis.

Let us know if you need any other information and consult a skin specialist if the lesion is persistent.

Regards.
I had the same thing, my armpits were very itchy, no rash no redness nothing at all. this was the only area that was ever itchy. about a year later i developed red hives, at different times of the day, at random places on my body. i just learned that i have dermatographic urticaria
and i was advised to take Zertek for a month.
Benadryl also helps keep the itch away.

hope this helps.