Atypical Lentiginous Melanocytic Hyperplasia
I was just diagnosed with Atypical Lentiginous Melanocytic Hyperplasia.  The report stated that the specimen shows more damage that normal sun exposure and it should be excised for diagnostic and treatment purposes.  It states a possibility of atypical melanocytic neoplasm.  My dermatologist says this is NOT melanoma and that he will be excising it and stitching it, but that he is not doing this for diagnostic purposes (even though the report suggests it).  I'm confused.  Can you please help in giving your opinion as to how serious this really is and what follow-up treatment is warranted?  I believe I read something on the internet stating that people with this should get their lymph nodes checked??  I'm very upset.  Any help you can give would be appreciated!

I understand your anxiety about this. Atypical Lentiginous Melanocytic Hyperplasia is the proliferation of melanocytes showing nuclear atypicality, especially as scattered single cells high in the epidermis. This is not invasive melanoma,  it presumably might turn into it if left alone, but with your doctor removing it , it won't be. It is important to have a doctor that you trust to look at your spots carefully on a regular basis and to test anything that looks worrisome. Discuss your worries with your doctor to alleviate all fears and anxiety. Most spots do not develop into anything and it is important to know the ABCDE rule (asymmetry, border, color, diameter ans elevation) and to monitor any changes in any mole that you have.

Take care and regards.