Dermatology Expert Forum
Atypical Mole
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Atypical Mole

Greetings.

My name is Drew and I'm 25 and I live in Houston.
I'm worried about a mole that is only my left leg just above my knee.

It has always been large, just slightly larger than the size of a pencil eraser and it is symmetrical and round. It is dark brown, but not black.

Here is the thing that concerns me. Because the hair that grows out of the mole is darker and thicker than the other hairs on my leg, I pluck them out on a regular basis. Because of this there are raised white "bumps" that are present where the hair grows out.

Now I have been doing this for nearly 10 years. The mole has not increased in size, but my fiancee saw the white bumps and thinks I ought to have this removed immediately.

In your opinion, what am we looking at here?

Drew
Houston, TX
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
A normal mole with a hair in it.

Hair in a mole is a good sign, not a bad one.  Despote folklore to the contrary, plucking a hair from a mole is perfectly safe.  The "white bumps" may just be a bit of inflammation in the follicle after you extract the hair.

My advice is to have your doctor check the mole.  At that point you can decide to leave it alone, or if it makes you anxious, just to get it off.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
My name is Chatocqua and I have moles all over my body the ones on my neck lifts up off my skin.  Everytime I put on a necklace it rubs up against my moles and it causes them to hurt.  I have picked off a couple.  Do you think I should have them looked at so they can be removed?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker