Bactrim for acne?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bactrim for acne?

My dermatologist prescribed Bactrim for moderate acne. I had taken Bactrim a year and a half ago for a couple of months and Bactrim cleared up my skin and it stayed that way until recently. So I'm back on the Bactrim for another 2 months, but I found out today from researching that prolonged usage of it can cause serious health problems (kidney, liver etc). Is 2 months considered prolonged? I'm taking Bactrim DS 160 mg 2x day.
Avatar n tn
I think you should be consulting your PCP for further reference regarding the medications you are taking.
Usual complications associated with Bactrim-ds are Nausea, vomiting, stomatitis, headache and rashes are usual manifestations. Folate deficiency is known is some patients.
Blood dyscrasias occur rarely.
Patients with renal disease may develop uremia. The elderly are at more risk for developing bone marrow toxicity.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.