Dermatology Expert Forum
Bald Spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bald Spot

I'm 22 and have had a small, but noticable, bald spot in the middle of my head where the hair comes together since I was born or at least since I was very little. It looks like it might be getting bigger and more noticable which is very frustrating. I see little hairs that are there but not nearly enough to cover up the bald spot. Is there anything I can do to make the hair grow, or something I can do to cover the bald spot up such as putting my natural hair in that area? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
You most likely have alopecia areata.  You can read about this at http://www.dermnetnz.org/.  This most often presents as small, perfectly smooth bald spot.  Cause is unknown.  The books say stress, but I don't believe them.  The spot grows back by itself in 3-6 months.  It may happen again some day.  Mostly, treatment is not needed.  Show a doctor for proper diagnosis, but you should be fine.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Male-i'm 17 almost 18, i hav bald spot near my temple but visible if not cover neatly, i hate it becoz when eva it appears, some idiot point at it and laugh which brings attention to the others. It's about a size of a cockaroach - i've got this patch since baby!! amazing heh, but it never grow hairs well at least it has like 10 tiny thin hair and so small that u can barly see it, one of my mate he told me once he got that problem too it was on top of his head, but he said to me that his eventually grow hairs which is good, but what should i do with mine? i heard people said we could use jinger- cut a slice and smooth it on ur bald spot nd it should grow hair, but never really tried that alots only when i remember to , nd i've been thinking to buy a hair growing potion nd c if that helps
neway.. some comment's still needed  becoz i'm not really an expert and that jinger thing - wish that helps.
sorry becoz it said something about rejecting nd so i thought i might just press it more than once! sorry
A related discussion, bald spot was started.