Beard infection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Beard infection

From time to time my beard hair gets infected. It looks like a pimple but if the hair is removed it heals soon. Some hair grow under the skin - normaly painfull. I noticed a increase of the problem when I drink fruit juice. It is normally worse in the evenings. Can you prescribe something? I am using an antibacterial balm - helps to a certain extend. But is only treats the symptoms.

Without examination, it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis, but it can be due to tinea barbae, folliculitis or dermatitis.

Tinea barbae is a superficial dermatophyte (fungal) infection that is limited to the bearded areas of the face and neck and includes inflammatory, deep, kerion like plaques and noninflammatory superficial patches resembling tinea corporis or bacterial folliculitis.
Folliculitis is the inflammation of one or more hair follicles. Rash, pimples or pustules may be found on the affected area. Dermatitis means any "inflammation of the skin" (e.g. rashes, etc.).

Treatment modalities for all three are different. An evaluation by a dermatologist is required to confirm a diagnosis.

Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.