Bee Sting Rash- Delayed Reaction?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bee Sting Rash- Delayed Reaction?

Hello-  I was stung by a bee about two weeks ago and at first developed a red itchy rash locally at the sting site.  Last night I started itching all over my body and today I have oticed a rash on my thighs, my left arm is red and the skin feels like it has fever to the touch along with itchiness.  The sting site also is bright red and extremely itchy.  Could this be an allergic reaction to the bee sting?  Do I need to consult a Dr. for further evaluation.  I have tried showering, washing with soap and water and applying topical anti- itch cream to the areas.  This seems to help but only temporarily.  Please help....
A bee or wasp sting can cause a skin reaction with redness, swelling, itching, and pain. This is very similar to the appearance of skin that is inflamed by a bacterial infection - a condition sometimes referred to as cellulites. You can take over the counter antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin. It will help in relieving the itching. If there is any pain involved, then please take over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen(advil).You can also apply a mild hydracortisone cream like dermacort on the site of the sting. Severe cases may need oral steroids. Also check your tetanus booster dose. If it is more than 10 years since the last tetanus booster, then please get a tetanus toxoid shot.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.