Dermatology Expert Forum
Belly Button Fungus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Belly Button Fungus?

I've had an oozing from my navel for about 10 months.   It's very itchy, red, and oozes a clear liquid.  I have tried using Spectazole twice daily for about 6 weeks which seemed to clear up the problem after the 1st 3 days of application.  The day following my last day of treatment, all of the the symptoms returned.  Over-the-counter Curex also gave the same results.

Is this a stubborn fungus or something else going on?  I have not yet seen a dermatologist but plan to soon unless you can suggest a simple solution.

thanks
jc
J C:

If your bellybutton is an "innie," you have a sac inside which doesn't let air in and drainage out.  Try gently cleansing the area as best you can and applying a cotton ball to "wick out" moisture.  Then apply 1% hydrocortisone lotion (OTC).  Try this twice a day for a week.  If you can, shine a heat lamp on the navel for a few minutes after one of the washes.

If that fails, see the dermatologist.

Good luck.

Dr. R
Avatar n tn
The skin at the corners of my mouth has become dry and irritated and then splits. It's been over five weeks. I've tried hydrocortisone cream, bactroban, vaseline and lanolin. I haven't changed anything in my diet or started using any new products on my face or new toothpaste or anything. I'm wondering if it's a food allergy or a dietary deficiency or the sign of another problem?
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, bellybutton was started.