Belly Button Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Belly Button Rash

I've had this rash on my belly botton for over two months now. I'm pretty sure it started whilst playing with my dog who is by no means filthy, but is a dog. My belly button was dry so I picked at the skin, which then became infected I suppose. I left it for a while thinking it would go away, it was strange, it was really dry during the day and saturated with moisture at night (I was still picking at it). When it didnt go away I went to the pharmasist who gave me "Hydrozole, a braod spectrun anit-fungal and anti-inflammatory cream" to use for one week then Canesten to use two week after. At this stage it was just around the edge of my belly - but half way through the week i went to th Solarium (bad I know) and it obviously reverse any good that had come from the Hydrozole. It flarred up again so i went to the doctor who recommended "Lamisil, treatment of fungal skin infections" which honestly seems to have made it worse. The rash is now spread two inches around my belly button. Its a reddish brown colour and has little bumps (some with puss) . I've just now tried some Aloe Vera gel which seems to have improved it a little but really dont know what im doing... What should I do?
What you are having is an infection of the belly button and most likely it if fungal in nature. You have to get KOH examination of the discharge from the belly button and get a fungal culture done to confirm the diagnosis. Then topical and oral antifungals may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.