DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Best Shampoo for Dry Scalp/Dandruff/Scalp Sores
by ditching, May 09, 2012
I've always had issues with Dry Scalp and Dandruff, particularly during the winter. Over the past couple years, I've also developed some sort of scalp sores that when picked at tend to bleed. They seem to continually come back.

I've tried a number of shampoos - Head and Shoulders, Nizoral, Aveda Pureformance, T/Gel, American Crew, etc. with varying results.

Nizoral seemed to do the trick for a long time (though I'd typically stop using after the dandruff went away and it would come back later) and I had limited success with H&S and T/Gel. Once I was about 18 I used primarily Aveda Pureformance and didn't have many issues with dry scalp/dandruff except a bit during the winter.

However, since I've developed these scalp sores I've been having issues. Head and Shoulders made them go away (both the Dandruff and head sores) but only for a short time. I have since been using a rotation of Head & Shoulders, Pureformance, and American Crew to no avail. My dandruff isn't too bad anymore but the scalp sores won't go away.

I haven't tried T/Gel or Nizoral since getting the scalp sores. I've heard promising stories about using Head & Shoulders to get rid of them (which is why I went out and bought some, and initially they went away but came back shortly after and now the H&S seems ineffective). I've also heard good things about T/Gel but had limited success with it in regards to dandruff in the past and I'm pretty skeptical about using coal tar. However, there is the 2in1 Daily Control which uses zinc instead of coal tar, anyone have any success with this?

TL;DR: I have dry scalp/dandruff/scalp sores... recommend me a shampoo to make it go away!
Member Comments (4)
by tschockBlank, May 09, 2012
I've tried almost everything...the worst was the ones that contained sulfur...I'm allergic...I seriously need to start reading labels. lol

The one thing that I have found to help is apple cider vinegar.
You can use it after you shampoo and condition as a rinse.
Smells kind of nasty at first, but it does help.
My mom was a hairdresser and she always told everyone to use baby shampoo as it does not strip your scalp of essential oils.
by ditching, May 09, 2012
Yea... I'm not so worried about the dandruff as I can usually make it go away at least temporarily.

But would love if I could find something that will keep these sores/dandruff away. Thinking about trying teh Amino Acid shampoo by Kiehl's/
by tschockBlank, May 09, 2012
The apple cider vinegar would help the sores too. That's why I suggested it.
Have you asked your doctor if it could be psoriasis?
by ditching, May 09, 2012
Maybe I'll go pick some up after work and give it a try... can't hurt right.

Haven't been to a doctor about it.