Dermatology Expert Forum
Best birth control pill for acne and depression?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Best birth control pill for acne and depression?

Hi,

My dermotologist suggested I go on birth control pills for adult acne vulgaris (nothing else has worked, and it's clearly hormonal). However, I have chronic depression, and I know oral contraceptives can exacerbate this. Which pill would be least likely to cause depression? He has suggested Ortho-TriCyclin. However, I've read that women with depression should avoid cyclical birth control pills, and use one with the least progestin. So, would you also happen to know which oral contraceptive has the least progestin, Ortho-Cyclin or Ovcon-35 (they have different progestins, so it's hard to make a comparison)?

Thank you,
Anna
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Anna:

I don't know much about birth control pills for acne, because I never use them.  I have been quite unimpressed with the effectiveness of Ortho-Tri-Cyclene in the women I've seen who take it.

Your doctor has obviously different experience.  Still, it should be possible for him or her to find other effective ways to treat you if there is a concern that cyclical hormones might not agree with you.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
3 Comments
Blank
Anna,
My GYN swears by Ortho-Tri-Cyclen.  I'm 22 and nearly all of my close friends (that it is discussed with) take it.  I was taking Ortho-Cept and it made me break out more than before i was taking it.  I took it for almost 5 years.  I have been taking Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for almost 2 years now and havent broken out more than 3 times!  As far as the progestin goes...Ortho-Tri-Cyclen is on of the higher ones, so my GYN says.  He prescribed me on that because of it(progestin) helping my migraines.
Blank
DEFINALTELY DIANAINTTE
Blank
A related discussion, Best Treatment for my acne and depression was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank