Best soap or cleanser for anal area?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Best soap or cleanser for anal area?

I suffer from external and internal hemorrhoids which flare up from time to time and cause me a great deal of pain and irritation. Often times as a result, the skin around my anus gets raw and irritated and washing there can be painful. I typically use a liquid cleanser like Cetaphil but even that can be irritating. Can anyone here suggest a mild and safe soap/cleanser (or something else) for washing this area routinely? Thanks in advance for any and all help provided. :-)
Anyone...please.
For such skin, apart from Cetaphil you can use a mild soap like Dove. For the hemorrhoids - you could try eating a high-fiber diet, using stool softener, taking pain killer and having a sitz bath for your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site, keep the area clean and well moisturized, wear loose, comfortable clothes and maintain good personal hygiene. Talk to your doctor if you need surgery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Bhupinder Kaur,

Thanks for the reply. I already use Dove soap sometimes and I eat a high fiber diet. I take three Citrucil tablets every morning and a small glass of prune juice every night. My stools are on the soft side and occasionally I will drink some Smooth Move tea when I'm feeling bound up because I didn't't eat properly. I also have regular sitz baths.

Whenever I have a bowel movement I clean up with soft tissues and then a Cottonelle wipe and blot dry with a soft paper towel. My colon/rectal doctor recommended that I try using Calmoseptine when the skin becomes irritated. She said it works wonders and contains zinc oxide. I tried it once and it seems to work okay. I sometimes using Hydro-cortisone 1% cream overnight when the skin is inflamed. Right now I'm a little tender because I had an internal hemorrhoid banded about a week ago and have been in a lot of pain and taking lots of baths for relief. Maybe I should also follow up with my dermatologist once I'm better to see what she says too.