Bikram Yoga - Is it bad for your skin?
Hello, I would very much like to know if doing Bikram Yoga is good or bad for your skin.  Basically, it is quite strenuous yoga done for 1 and a half hours, in a room that is generally 40 degrees or 104 celsius.  The arguments are that it is good for you because you have to drink so much water your skin becomes hydrated, and secondly because you are sweating for an hour and a half your skin sweats out all of the toxins creating hydrated, clear skin.
However, wouldn't being in a room that hot doing exercise for that long cause broken blood vessels?  Could it in any way be bad for your skin?
Thank you very much.
My Ayurvedic Dr. told me to stay away from bikram yoga while I have
an outbreak of Psoriasis, as the heat is counter productive to my
aggravated pita condition.  I currently practice a vinyasa based yoga in
normal temperatures and pranayama.
I LOVED BIkram and did it religiously for 5 years.  My skin became constantly red from the flushing and heat and had lots of broken capillaries.  I am now paying for it and paying for IPL treatments to keep the capillary damage at bay.

I'm scandinavian and prone to redness, wish I knew this before. NOw I do Vinyasa flow and LOVE IT.
I am 47 year woman, I have a twin sister living in same city, I started doing hot yoga few years back and enjoyed doing it, recently at our family wedding, some of my cousins commented about me looking like an elder sister to my twin, this triggered a panic in me and consulted my family doctor and skin expert.
Well hot yoga it was, it did damage my skin (not only face, my hands and feet) other than skin issues I lost lot of hair, my breast were also sagging like an 60 year women.

Hi Anita722.

I agree with you on hair and sagging breast, but my skin was not affected by hot yoga (may be because of my black background)
There are disadvantages of hot yoga in long run, but you do feel good while doing it, any one wondering about good and bad of hot yoga should consult their doctor before jumping in this hot room.
hey guys,

Check out this link below, it says for people with long hair, would be well advised not to do hot yoga too frequent, or there will be danger of hair loss. In a very hot environment, what happens is that your muscles warm hot, you will feel and what you should be able to stretch to the limit than they can comfortably be extended further. Stretching too excessive, can damage the tendons and ligaments band and lead to long-term problems, such as over-the joint loose. A hot environment while doing any intense exercise, including yoga, on people’s health is harmful. ‘Hot yoga’ will lead to dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, heat cramps, and even heart failure.

Link:  http://fashion.lilali.com/hot-yoga-is-also-bad-practice/

http://fashion.lilali.com/hot-yoga-is-also-bad-practice/